Home Technical Talk

Mudbox question.

I am using mudbox to add detail to a model i have built in max. I set up UVs on it for 2 maps ( one for the head one for the body)

sculpting in MB is great until i try to output a normal map when instead of spitting out 2 maps it puts all the data into one map.

Is there a way of telling it to respect the face ids I assigned in Max or do i have to split the geometry in max, export as 2 .obj files and import them into mudbox? Am a little confused here.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I generally import different objects as different .objs, but there may be a way to split by material that i dont know of.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Is it possible to just select faces in mudbox and bake only selected? That might be a way of doing it, if it works. Or just selecting faces in mudbox and breaking them into a new object, again I'm not sure if this is possible, haven't explored it that much myself.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Move the second set of UVs out of the 0-1 UV space. Mudbox bakes each region as a separate map.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work like EQ and export each material group as a separate .OBJ with only the 1 material applied. As far as I know MudBox doesn't handle multi-materials, or I haven't figured out how yet and the help docs don't mention it.

Then when it comes time to make normals you bake each piece. I choose to do my baking in Max since its faster and I trust its results, I'm not a big fan of "one button bakes". This work flow also helps because I rarely need all the pieces on the screen at the same time when sculpting details.