Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jerkobots -- Flash Animated Cartoon Finaly Done!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
Well folks, it's been quite a while since i've been posting. the reason is i've been out of the 3d thing for a good year, except for work of course. my friend and I have been putting together a cartoon, and we're FINALY done.. (something i sometimes didn't think was possible) anyway we're hoping to take this thing really big. the more popularity and publicity we can get, the better, obviously.

have a look for yourself
jerkobots_01a.jpg

http://www.jerkobots.com/

actual link to the cartoon:

http://www.jerkobots.com/watch.htm

(and if any of you like it enough to pass it along to your friends, i won't complain, but i'm not just here to spam it out, either wink.gif

cheers!

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    welcome back blast69!
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Omfg that ace. 2 cartoon rocks. I have a lot of laugh in there. Awesome. Keep them comming they are great.
    I add the link in my site to this if u want.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I watch both of them... but they are really not my type of thing...(yeah I am trying to be nice here wink.gif ... and I do like Southpark most of the time).

The animation quality is quite good though... maybe the audio could be improved a little, but overall it is looking good on the technical side of things.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers guys smile.gif

cheap- i feel the love. bless your heart

[email="Por@szek"]Por@szek[/email] - cheers man smile.gif i'm glad you like it. sure, any publicity is good, but it's all up to you smile.gif

JKMakowka - thanks about the animation. yah, the audio is a little weak, isn't it? we've got a few friends who are talking about doing an audio track. anyway don't shy away from the negative feedback, we're totally fine with it (and we know the hate-mail will start comming in sooner or later)
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    I really liked some parts, where as some others dragged on a little bit. A lot of the topics for the humour were reused or just slight twists on previous jokes, but again, well executed at different parts. I do have to ask though, is it me, or was 95% of that retroscripted? (Reminiscent of Home Movies.) It really gave off that "vibe". Either way, keep making more! I LIKE

Edit: After watching the psychiatrist scene, yes, this is most definately retroscripted. Shine on, you crazy diamonds.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    great achievement guys! Looks like theres a lot of work in there, nice drawings and feel to the animation. I think with a few episodes this could settle into a great show smile.gif

heres my impressions on the story-
    The plot and setting lost me a little bit I have to say, it felt slightly random and I didn't really understand why half the characters were doing things.. if you look at southpark even though it seems random sometimes, its always pretty easy to pick out and identify with each characters reasons for doing what they do. also each southpark episode usually has some kind of satirical point behind the story, but I couldn't quite work out what this jerkobots episode was 'about'- who or what was being mocked I'm not sure.

I think you lost a little potential impact with the church being a front for snakemen to bum kids.. it might have been funny to give the viewer some clues/let them in on it to produce some tension, so you know what the deal is but the characters don't and you're anxious to see how it resolves.

anyway feel free to ignore my rambling I might just not 'get' what you're aiming for, theres definately a lot of potential here smile.gif congrats!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Great effort guys, very much in the line of South Park and Moral Orel. I congratulate your efforts to complete an animation cartoon. Funniest moment: stock snake footage

Things to focus on in the future:

Writing: most of the dialog here is stuttered rambling or cussing “because dirty words are funny”. Uly made a good point bringing up Home Movies, since Brendon Small has built a career of comedic rambling dialog (see: everything he’s done).

When you write lines for characters, put in small tells of them character and plans, especially when you initially introduce them. For example, when first introduced to the snakeman atheist, he just talked about taking a shit, but later his agenda took a turn towards pedophilia.

The whole principal of the school scene was confusing as well, since he appeared to be a pedo, then the other group of characters were too. I can confidently say, you should have cut the principal and mayor scenes, and had a story that made a lot more sense.

Acting: There was little to no acting present in this cartoon. Characters and plot were driven completely by actions or announcing their actions. Lacking the subtleties of acting with dramatic pausing and facial expressions confuses the audience because they don’t understand how thing make the character feel (take Rooster’s impressions for example). Try experimenting with completely telling your story with no dialog at all. This will force you to pure acting and emoting. Easy way to add subtle acting are using dramatic pauses with smiles, frown, blank expressions and eyes looking at characters, away from them, and down at the ground. Southpark, Family Guy, and the Simpsons make powerful use of this. If you haven’t already, buy all those DVDs and listen to all the commentaries.

Anyway, as someone who loves comedic writing, I could go on all day, but I think you guys did a great job, and learn a lot from this experience. With time, you could really turn it into something good.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys! thanks a lot for the feedback. on average, the crits here are pretty typical. week story, etc. it's difficult for us to sort through some of the feedback we're getting, because we're finding an interesting balance between people who don't understand our sense of humor, and of course, us just doing a bad job at expressing ourselves.

Uly- yahp. retroscripted it is (i didn't even know that word existed)

my sense of humor (i played the reverend, principle, mayor, and father) is a lot more flow oriented ranting, and mostly self-sacrificial. i adopt a persona and then make it ridiculous enough for people to get a kick out of it. in that way, the sense of humour of the cartoon is extremely disassociated.

Rooster + cholden - i think you guys have a good point about being more expressive about what the motivations of the characters are. it is week at best. Mike and I wanted to stay away from over-telling everything, because normaly, i can't stand watching it on most animated stuff i see on tv, but as it turns out, we probably took it a little too far. I disagree on cutting out the principle and mayor scenes however. like i said, the comedy style is disassocited. it's less about the story and more about the characters/situations.. now, weather that's a good idea or not......

we appreciate the crits, anyway, and we're giving a good strong honest listen to all of them smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    lolzers, good first episode. It needs some incidental music like a short guitar riff or something when there's a scene change like the twangy guitar riff you hear on Southpark (or any other show).

I liked the Mayor scene, I really cracked up when the cardboard cutout fell down but it kind of dragged on a bit after that. Maybe split the therapist scene off and play it a bit later or better yet, have it play during the credits.
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    That was hysterical!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    watching it now. while i like rambling dialogue, this seemes much too rambly, and far to much swearing, i don't mind swearing if theres a purpose. but swearing just for no reason than "it being funny" kind of anoying.

i think you are trying way too hard to be extreme, and hard,

is everyone in this cartoon a pedo?

oh,, why are they robots? the lip sync is pretty good some of the voice acting was pretty good.. some was not,,
    the mayoy at the shrink was going way too far. the cardboard gag was funny when it was happening,, but definatley not funny for as long as you thought it was.

summary

animation was good, especialy the mouths,
    dialogue and writing needs a lot of work, rambling is funy in parts, but not every line. the word "shit" is not the comedic gold mine most 12 year olds think it is

kinda makes me want to work more on hte cartoon i was working on a few months back.

i was thinkin it may be cool your style, but with real photo backgrounds
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you guys could have something great here. Most of it was pretty funny.

I did find myself tuning out on some of the long rambling dialog espeically the dad, the church leader and Pete Wilson praying. Some of the jokes dragged on farther than they should have.

Mayor in the shrinks office was too long of a time investment for the gag delivered. Maybe the mayor should have just gone over to the phone to make an appointment with the shrink and the shrinks appointment person delivers the pockets joke over the phone, very short quick and no cutting to another scene thinking the joke is over but finding out its not.

The stammering dialog is funny in some cases but I think it was over played. I might have been funny to have Pete Wilson get quite and mumble some of those prayers and have another Christian ask him "what was that Pete I don't think God heard you, could you speak up?". Maybe it could take it down a different funny jag about god hearing prayers and one Christian claiming God is deaf because god hasn't given her a penis yet. I just think the shock-prayer joke isn't as funny as it is long.

I think foreshadowing could help que people up to laugh when the final punch line is laid on them. And an underlaying running gag could help also. Maybe have a news cast talk about a missing cat/dog/gerbil epidemic. Then later the church leader instead of stretching the beef and "shitting" jokes as long, you could have him ask the kids to round up small mammals, then changes his mind and switches to the evolution idea and pushes them to do that instead. You could also have a blind crazy hobo guy with a sandwich board claiming the Christians are lizard people and they ate his dog and his leg(has both legs) "I seenz it with my owns eyes!". He could stop the kids or the dad on the street and yell his crazy theories at them as they blow him off or shove him an alley.

In short, more laughs in a shorter time, I know it can be hard to come up with stuff but I don't think stretching out a gag is a good way to fill time.

Good stuff, keep up the good work =)
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    not bad. animation and voice acting were pretty awesome. but the style of the show seems like its ripping on a mix of home movies and southpark.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot for the responses guys. mike and i are pondering over all of them.

many thanks smile.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    oh i would like to say, while the intro reminded me of the south park intro with the pieces being cut from paper, i did really like the intro. it was well done
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've been wanting to watch this for a while, but keep forgetting to check it out at home. So I just cranked the first episode here at work with a bunch of us watching. Its great, I love it. The people that were in earshot were all cringing at some of things that were said which was great.
    Going to get part 2 happening after work.
    MOOAAARR!

-caseyjones