Home Technical Talk

Creating Normalmap in Mudbox

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
kodde polycounter lvl 19
Hey people,

I have created a lowpoly character in Maya that I exported for Mudbox. I'm almost done with the highpoly version in Mudbox and I'm approaching the point where I want to create a normalmap.

Here's my problem. I haven't UV-mapped the model yet.
Is there any way for me to create a nice UV-map in Maya on my lowpoly version and update it in Mudbox?

I could export my highpoly version from Mudbox to Maya, well at least around 500k tris, and create the normalmap there. Although it would be better if I could use my 3 million tris version for the normalmap creation.

I've heard this is possible in Zbrush. How is this done in Mudbox?

Thanks

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You should be able to import a UV'd version of the lowpoly mesh into the lowest subdivision layer (export the lowest subdivision, uv-map that, send it back out to mudbox)... but I'm not sure how it's done because I haven't tried it yet. I'm fairly certain it's possible though.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    unwrap your low poly in maya, import it in to mudbox in the same file as your high poly, go into Utilities>Texture Baking>New Operation.
    In the new window, select your low poly mesh from Low Resolution Mesh drop down, it will say "Level: 0, faces: whatever".
    Select your sculpted mesh from the High Resolution Mesh drop down, turn off Create Displacement Map, and choose a location for your normal map, it will be exported as a tif in case you're wondering.
    Set your texture size, go into Advanced Settings if you need any specific setting, like the transfer space or if anything needs flipping.
    Finally, click Start Operation, and wait until it's done.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Ah, but of course.

So obvious when it's explained in front of my eyes.

I've tried baking normalmaps in mudbox before, I just forgot about the target/source options.

Thanks guys.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be careful that your new unwrapped low poly matches the lowest level of detail in vert/poly count otherwise it will error out and tell you they don't match when you try to import it as your new lowest level of detail. I don't think you need to import it into the file to select it as the target for the normal map?

I would suggest exporting the lowest level out of mudbox and unwrapping that, making sure not to add or take away verts. I'm pretty sure its ok if you move them around.

I think you can still designate the newly unwrapped low poly version as a target mesh in the normal map dialog and it won't care about the counts. It only cares when you try to import a new lowest detail mesh that doesn't match. But that only really matters if you plan to do more work...