Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Motion Explosion

What up gang! In the wee hours of the morn yesterday I felt like makin something move so I made this

shocked.gif

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats pretty cool =)
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, few crits below:

there is a pop on the right leg on the idle as his body straightens up

the idle itself looks a little samey, when the back goes straight and the arm goes at the same time, it almost looks like the arm isnt moving - some overlapping action here would be really nice so as the body moves have the arm follow

the left leg moves as he gets ready to swing the sword, which would be a good way to show the balance - but there is no weight shift for it at all - a person trying to do that would just fall over, so some shift of the hips first to put all the weight on the right leg is really needed here

as he gets ready to swing the sword, the balance is way off, you could have a much more dynamic pose here. You could help the weight by having the back arched a lot more into a c curve a lot earlier and maybe have the back roll into that position rather than just blending between the 2

the left arm reaches up to grab the sword and the instant it touches you are swinging the sword, you should have the hand grab the sword and have a bit of a pause before the body swings the sword - that should make it better as the arm moves up, then straight down a bit at the moment - remember you need some frames in there so the viewer can read whats coming next smile.gif

on the impact, i think you could make it feel a lot more weighty by having the feet slide back into a more natural position, as if the momentum from the airspin hasnt quite finished and is pushing the character back after the force of the sword is stopped by the floor
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool, I'll try those things out tonight.
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reworked something with the advice I have recieved and this is what I have so far: still WIP

my motion explosion
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    its pritty cool. The only thing that i notice that gets to me is how you have him startingout thrusting down like you would a hammer but then the sword kicks out to his side and right back down like he would have if he did not kick out sideways. i know why you did it, because the sword would be too long. but it makes it not look natural. if i swung a hammer down toward a nail i would not kick out on my way down...get it. if you have to, make him jump higher so he can clear the ground with the flip.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I think the little flip he does before the first strike is hurting more than helping. It looks extremely unnatural coming directly from an idle pose. There's not a whole lot anticipation for it - no running start, just a little leg kick. I would also cut that second idle out and have him go straight into a sort of combo. I know it's a big first swing but the pause as he pulls the sword out of the ground is enough of a stop. Lots of anticipation in the beginning + a series of consecutive moves = win.