Home Technical Talk

Projection painter?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
Does anyone know of a good projection painter other than DeepPaint3D and Zbrush?
I want to be able to paint on projections in Photoshop. Thanks!

- BoBo

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I know you've said OTHER THAN..Zbrush - but have you tried Zapplink for Zbrush?
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    you know bodypaint 3d is great, i know u cant paint ur projection in ps, but once you go in paint mode, its pretty good. Brushed are nice and all... But ya, I search for one to a while ago, didnt find anything decent..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ghostpainter is a plugin for Max that works with Photoshop, but I don't think it's very good... might be worth a look though.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Zbrush is tops on my list right now. The problem is that we went with Mudbox within the studio as our sculpting package. The only thing I’m missing is a good projection painter and I’d hate to buy Zbrush for just that feature. Additionally DeepPaint (which is what I’ve used in the past) hasn’t had an update in a long time so now a lot of the tools (including Deep UV) are now dated.

- BoBo
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    athough deep paint is still pretty good for projection painting and swapping in and out of pshop, but I have to say that zbrush with zapplink is my tool of choice now.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Bodypaint owns them all, and has projection paint, that you can use inside bodypaint or paste in an image from photoshop. Really it's a no brainer, it's like photoshop in 3d.

Ghostpainter blows, you have to make sure your texture isn't zoomed into at all, and it only updates the color after you let go of the stroke. Sucks.

poop.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I've had alright results with maya's built in projection paint. Its not stellar, but it certainly works for fixing seams and other not terribly complicated paint operations. It slows down a bit when the texture is over 512 though.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    I'd have to agree with Poop, Bodypaint is definitely the best I've used so far.....Also sometimes with Zbrush/Zapplink you can end up with some nasty pixelation in areas.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    DeepPaint3d 2.1 is old but his projection mode allows you to import/export PSD files to photoshop with all the basic layers you need. I'm not sure to catch what additionnal features you would like to have.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd have to agree with Poop, Bodypaint is definitely the best I've used so far.....Also sometimes with Zbrush/Zapplink you can end up with some nasty pixelation in areas.

[/ QUOTE ]

The truth.

I've found the minimum texture size that gives good results is 2048x2048 - so you need to work with very large source assets.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Bodypaint is the Mudbox of 3dpaint smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've had alright results with maya's built in projection paint. Its not stellar, but it certainly works for fixing seams and other not terribly complicated paint operations. It slows down a bit when the texture is over 512 though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know, it's weird. This hit me lately too. I was actually going to make a post singing its praises. I hadn't used it in forever, but I've just recently started using it with 8.0, and it's actually not bad at all.
    *Obviously* its no Bodypaint, and its functionality is somewhat limited and implementation a little on the crude side, but I'd encourage maya users to check it out. Either machines simply got a lot faster in the few years since I've used it, or some refinements made it useful. Either way, it works fine for me, and blocking out a somewhere in between rough to final color map with it has become a part of my workflow.

p.s sorry If that was a bit of a thread hijack.

p.p.s rumour has it that Adobe are working on 3D painting for Photoshop, but that probably doesn't help you now BoBo smile.gif
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Polyboost has projection-paint, too. Never tried it so far, though. Seems limited to viewport resolution and quite basic alltogether. But worth a try perhaps.

As a sidenote I started to write a projection-paint script for max last year.(Similar to Zapplink ). Unfortunately the emphasis lies on started. blush.gif
    I have hardly any scripting experience, so even the first steps took quite long and finally I had to move on to other things and it's unlikely, that there will come anything out of it in the next months, too.
    Use to you so far: Exactly none!
    However for a more experienced scripter it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something usefull. Perhaps someone here feels like giving it a try. I'd be willing to share what I have so far. Which ist honestly just the workflow (though fairly thought-through ) and the first part of the script. Which must probably look awful to a coder. laugh.gif (But it works blush.gif )
    So if anyone likes to do all the wor.. erm Team up, simply drop me a pm.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Polyboost's projection painter is kind of lame, actually. It's rather slow and clunky because you have to stop and wait for it to freeze the screen, then paint, then unfreeze the screen, then rotate a little, then freeze again, etc.

Although, it's absolutely great for cloning away texture seams, but aside from that it's pretty lacking. The main problem with the clone tool is that it samples from the whole screen rather than the texture map itself. So, if you're cloning at a seam or something and your brush barely moves outside of the range of the model on screen, you start painting your max UI right on the model!

I've been meaning to check out bodypaint as well.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    deep painter have all, what artist really need, why do you want to change it? only because it doesn't have any new
    features?
    P.S: Daz, 3d photoshop is crazy cool, even if that rumor,
    let's cross fingers=)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I was using zbrush+zapplink since it appeared first time, but it's a nuisance, nothing really good. To be always switching between the two apps is a pain in the ass laugh.gif. Adobe should make an application for 3d painting, that would be excellent.

I recommend bodypaint as others, is the tool for painting i use mainly. You can custom your pencils as you wish, is a good application. The bad point is that you cannot paint the models with normals map on very well (it does not recognize well some kinds of them). Other than that, is a fantastic tool for hi-poly painting and traditional low poly models.

Bodypaint R3 is bundled now with cinema 4d. There's no demo at the website, so if you want to try the program you must download the cinema 4d XL 10 demo and all modules (160 mb). Also, in the maxon page you don't have any option to buy bodypaint separated.

Give it a try.

saludos
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    you know bodypaint 3d is great, i know u cant paint ur projection in ps, but once you go in paint mode, its pretty good. Brushed are nice and all... But ya, I search for one to a while ago, didnt find anything decent..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in BodyPaint R3 you CAN export to Photoshop the same way that ZAppLink in Zbrush does, with the small difference that it will preserve all the layer information, blending modes, etc(Moreover the resolution now is view independent...BP ruleezzz!!! :P)
    Here is how it works:

*Freeze the viewport in desireable resolution
    *Enter Projection Painting mode
    *Save out the temporary PP layer to a new .psd file
    *Open the file in Photoshop

After editing in Photoshop:

*Merge the edited .psd file with the temporary PP layer
    *Apply the content of the Projection Paint plane to the model

Unfortunately it is not a signle click export to PS and requires several steps...I've asked over cgTalk forums if someone could write an automation script , here is the thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=182&t=441522
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers CodeFather.......going to go have a crack at that now.....
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I know that this suggestion probably won't be popular...but this is actually possible in Blender 3D. They included the ability to projection paint to a UV texture several versions ago. I've used it to lay down the base colors on a model before. It isn't nearly as robust as some other programs. You can only control a few brush variables, and they don't have custom shaped brushes, as far as I know. Still, I've found that it is very useful for defining base colors, and especially for touching up seams in a model. An experienced painter would probably be able to do quite a bit with Blender's paint tools. Painting has always been my weak area for modeling.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a fan of 3D painting in blender too, but 3D painting isn't the same as projection painting...
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, it seems that is quite true from the content of the rest of the posts in this thread. I misunderstood. Let me try to wrap my head around this.

With "Projection Painint" you look at a 3D model from a certain angle, and then "project" a still shot of this view into an image editing program. You then paint on this still shot however you feel like in the image editor. When you are satisfied with the results, you "project" the changes you made back into the 3D program, where they are transferred to the applied UV map so that they appear on the model from the perspective you "projected" them from. Is that how it works?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guessed er Chester. At least that is what I mean when I talk about projection painting, just like ZBrush.