Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ZB/Maya creation Dragon

M3anBONE_sj_
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
M3anBONE_sj_ polycounter lvl 18
Here's something i'm currently working on. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Currently 50% complete. dproject01.jpg

Replies

• Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Its looking pretty cool! However I think its kinda lacking that "mean and intimidating" factor. Could be just me but Right now he kinda has this smiling happy dog look on his face. Id tweak the eyes and the mouth and try to get him to look a little more angry. Unless thats not what you were going for...
  • fweezah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fweezah polycounter lvl 11
    I think it's the tounge...
  • M3anBONE_sj_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I haven't begun working on the tongue, yet. Within the week, i'll have an update to show.

Thanks for posting.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Sk Nate: you are so overly kind
    Fweezah: no.. it is not the tongue
    M3an: i know its fun to just jump into an ap like mudbox / z brush and just add little bumps all over something and then go "YEAH DETAIL AWESOME" but the bumps and fine level detail is pretty much the least important part of a model like this. you need to take a step back.. wayyy back and focus more on middle level detail, muscles, sinew, bone structure,, and even further back to over all proportions and form. try and get some believable shapes to this guy before you break out the lumpy potato brush. it may take some time and a lot of work, but in time you could start making some sweet stuff.. so stick to it. learn some anatomy.. people may think that learning anatomy is no use for make believe monsters and stuff.. but those people are idiots, you learn the rules,, then you learn how to adapt them to what you want,
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    Hey can you post a pic from a diffrent angle? somthing looks off.
  • M3anBONE_sj_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll post more screenshots later tonight. Thanks for commenting.
  • M3anBONE_sj_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a profile screen of the model. I've read all the comments and plan to make a few changes as suggested. I'll keep ya guys posted.

Dprofile.jpg
  • allyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allyx polycounter lvl 17
    I like the mouth and nose part, but the anatomy does not look believable with the eyes too close to the mouth. I would have the eyes at where the root of that main horn is. And that cheek muscle looks all wrong.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, the proportions are just not anatomicly viable. I did a little paintover with some ideas that may help.

dwagonsd4.jpg

Hope you don't mind.
  • M3anBONE_sj_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for posting everyone. I guess I should post the original drawing I used in creating the first rendition of this model. Originally, this project was a Zbrush exercise; there were some things I needed to learn how to do and just used a sketch out of one of my sketchbooks for the design, with no real inclination in making an anatomically realistic model. But since there is a lot of encouragement here in making it anatomically correct, i've gone ahead and started working back into the model's main low-poly frame, making changes in several areas. Hopefully the outcome will be more satisfying. Thank you all again and I hope to receive more crits from one and all.

dsketches.jpg

dsketch1.jpg
  • M3anBONE_sj_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here's a little update on what i'm doing with this model so far. Any comments at this point would be nice. Thx

dproject02.jpg
  • 3D-j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To make it look more menacing think of sharp points and hard sharp edged surfaces. A forked tongue maybe interesting. The jaw also reminds me of the newer Godzilla film, which he was not to menacing in that movie either. You may want to throw a little color on it to see if the diffuse map will do the mesh any justice. Keep on keep'n" on.