Home General Discussion

Laws against cell phone usage in cars.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
http://www.komotv.com/news/5857056.html

7th time they have tried to pass the law here in Washington, I've heard it has been passed elsewhere. What do you guys think about this law, and how do you use your cell phone while driving? Do you consider it's distracting to the point of getting a ticket for? Do you think too many people are idiots when driving and chatting on their cell?

Replies

• stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    I absolutely think cellphone usage should be restricted to hands free. In new york its been that way for some time, and i actaully feel safer driving through. MA it is still legal and i cant tell you how often i nearly get hit by some jackass on his phone merging into me. Hands free for win! ^_^
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I honestly don't believe that it's about the use of the hand that causes as much of a problem as the distraction of the brain. When you talk on the phone, you're more mentally detached from your current situation, and there's been some pretty decent research that suggests that that's the case. When you think about it, it's common sense. Some of our brains just don't seem to be as multi-threaded as others, and I know for instance that If I'm lost and trying to find my way, I have to turn the radio off to think more clearly.

The absurd thing is, even though I have a problem with it, I tend to do it on rare occasion, but only in certain situations where I'm not required to be as engaged. If Im driving home on the freeway and there isn't much traffic, and I don't intend to change lanes anytime soon, I might make or take a call, but If I'm driving around town for instance, I always let it ring and never make a call. What's the urgency anyway? I guess I'm not much of a phone person.

There are so many other things that can cause a driver to be distracted though. Reaching down to pick up a coffee, turning round to yell at the kids, chatting to a passenger, fiddling with the radio, it doesn't take much.

I'd welcome the law, though. In CA, they'd need to add driving with a dog on your lap, driving and shaving, driving and applying makeup, driving and reading a book, driving with your feet on the dash, driving whist totally rocking out and dancing with both hands off the wheel, I could go on. I've seen it all on the 101.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    things you shouldn't do while driving...

Talking on a hand held phone, eating large/greasy foods, watching TV/movies, playing video games, dancing, drinking alcohol, basically paying more attention to things in the car than outside of it.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly, while I do think that alot of people cannot talk on their phones and drive without causing danger to others, I don't like the idea of the goverment trying to legislate common sense.

What's next, outlawing talking to your passenger while driving? I mean really, what's the difference between talking on the cell and talking to the person sitting next to you(besides turning to look at them, making it even more dangerous).
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    studies have shown that hands free or holding a phone doesnt make much of a difference... it's about your brain being distracted by the conversation. I try not to talk and drive, I only do it once or twice a month. I've seen too many accidents caused by people talking on their cell phones.

I think this would be a good law... it's designed to save lives and I think it would.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I mean really, what's the difference between talking on the cell and talking to the person sitting next to you(besides turning to look at them, making it even more dangerous).

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I see it, is that when you're talking to someone on the phone, you tend to build a mental picture of that person and their surroundings on the other end of the phone, thus detaching you somewhat from your own.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Just so you know i have seen people doing each and every one of those things i listed, some were doing a few of those at the same time. Like the guy who was talking on his phone with one hand while watching a movie on his dvd player. A lady just the other day was talking on her phone while stuffing her face with fries and yelling at her dog all while driving.
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    In Connecticut it is illegal to use a cell phone while driving unless you use a hands free device. Unfortunately it is a very lax law based upon quotes from law enforcement. It is just to costly for police to pull over everyone using a cellphone without a hands free kit. The only time people are charged with breaking the law as far as this situation goes is when they directly contribute to an accident and are caught.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Well at my second to last job i was on my way to work on a 2 lane freeway,all of sudden the car in front brakes out of nowhere and barely hits the car in front of her,but me i lacked the luck and and the distance to break in time and i hit the lady in front of me,not that hard but quite a bit of damage. As im looking foward and notice her putting away her cell phone Bam! the car behind me slams into me at about 65 miles per hour,no brakes. My car slammed into the left concrete median pushing/ripping open the entire left front of my truck,breaking the window and in the end the car was totaled and i only had minor neck injuries.But it could have been way worse.

When miserable twats like this who can barely operate a car think they can work a phone as well there need to be laws outlawing their uses in anyway.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Personally I would welcome the law if it ever did pass. People can rant and rave about personal freedoms all they want, they won't be so bitchy when their yakking away distracts them enough to ram into something or someone.

There's already a law here about no use of headphones while driving, I've known people who've gotten tickets from that. Cell phones distract in a multitude of ways:
    -your hand is busy, or you've cocked your elbow, making you less able to steer (hands free helps this)
    -you're occupied in a conversation
    -the phone is against your ear, like earphones, it restricts your hearing because the phone is right up against your ear

I've talked a few minutes here or there while driving, but I keep it to a minimum as much as possible. The stats and jackasses on the road who get too involved in long conversations while making lots of manuevers need to hang it up and wait until they aren't operating vehicles give a bad name to the large number of responsible drivers who can handle a short call here or there while behind the wheel. But a law would be nice, if people were more responsible about driving we wouldn't have laws for drunk driving, headphones, etc, and cell phones make a worthy addition to the list.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Its against the law over here.........
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I honk at them, especially if they are driving like a retard.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Gavku said it's against the law over here, I think that's definitely a good thing. What's really whack though is I've heard of a few instances of people sending text messages while driving. Anyone that stupid and irresponsible should be shot.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its not illegal in all of the states yet? damn... in india, its been illegal for some time. Ppl still do it (due to the inefficient/corrupt policemen not giving a hoot), but i saw some1 with a hands free crash into some1 without one. It was a kodak moment... and it proves that hands-free or not... its all dangerous.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where's the law to round off all the corners? Corners can kill! It's a shame a bunch of retards have to ruin it for everyone, but since the retards outweigh the few who can handle it I welcome the law. I like the way the law is worded and how it will be handled.
    In an ideal world I would like to see a certification program for driving with a cell phone. Everyone starts out certified but get a ticket or have a cell phone related incident and you loose it for 5 years. There could be some specialized tests made but the conditions would never be right because people would force themselves to focus for the tests.

Since that will never happen, I say ban em.