Home General Discussion

Gametap

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
Hey, just signed up for this Gametap thing today. Anyone else use it? Seems like a damned good deal. You basically pay 10 bucks a month for unlimited downloading of games from this gametap library. Has a pretty good variety, old school games from the way back consoles and some great new stuff, as well as some great games that should've sold better. (Just downloaded Beyond Good and Evil, going to be getting the new MMO Myst thing, sam & max, etc...

I'm just testing it out right now (First month is 99 cents), but it seems great so far. laugh.gif

Check it out at http://www.gametap.com. Has a list of it's games library there as well. laugh.gif

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    hey tulk, how does it work? are some of the games emulated in browser? what about more robust games like farcry, deus ex 2, etc...does it download gigs at a time or stream the info in blocks?

how does it handle file saves and such?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    You download a program for it, and some of the games are emulated in that program. (It works very well). The browser itself is very nice. Organizes games in many ways, searching is easy, gives game info/controls up front before even opening the game. (For arcade games when you customize the controls it even gives the option to automatically customize controls for all similar games to the same config).

For the more robust games it downloads the whole thing at once, then allows you to play the game as if you'd installed it from disk, though you have to start the game from inside the gametap program. (At least that's how it works for Beyond Good and Evil.)

I haven't had much time to play around with it yet (Too much work to do) but so far it seems to be a pretty solid system and to have a lot of worth to it.

If that didn't answer properly sorry, I can try to explain it better. :P
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    PC games have to be launched from GameTap, all arcade/console games are emulated (SOME have multiplayer support/scoreboards ala Live). They also have a few Dreamcast titles (recently added Chu Chu rocket) which was interesting.

I remember signing up for this when it first launched, it has made huge improvements since.

One big thing is that PC games can't be played online (so no Wormnet for Worms)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    OMFG!! They have Captain Commando!!!! I never checked into it but that sounds awesome! Can you no longer play the games once you cancel the membership?
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    thanks tulkamir and fmnoor--that's exactly what i was curious about.

smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Gametap usually works like a secure virtual machine layer - you can absolutely not access the files on the volumes. Also many PC games that had multiplayer have that disabled.

It has vampire savior and it's playable online that's why gametap is great.

They just added Interstate '76 last night too B)
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    I really want to get... Sam & Max and countless classics that would have me waste my time on some dreadfully guilty pleasures... Mmm. "Mickey Mouse's Big Surprise Party". I never gave Donald any cake.