Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Artists needed for various projects

I'm currently looking for a series of artists to do *every* kind of artwork for a series of projects.

The first project is non-paying (oooh, those evil words.) This will be to come up with very simple, generic art for a book I'm writing on how to program video games. (For those who are skeptical, the first chapter of the book can be found here: How To Program 3D). This book already has a publisher, though the artists submitting the art will only get credit. No monitary compensation. The games being made in the book will be very, very simplistic, and even existing generic art that you have handy will suffice.

The first (low paying) project I'm willing to actually fork out cash for will be a simple online billiard game. With this one, I will be needing ENTIRE bar scenes including people playing pool, drinking beer, etc. Imagine it more like a cutscene that you're building that can eventually go into a loop. The design is negotiable, and to be discussed. Prices will run in the low $100's for scenes.

The second public game to be made is a space simulator. Think Star Trek meets Descent. This one needs everything. I made the mistake of blowing over $500 on a collection of pre-made models only to find they're useless. I need ship designers, storyboarders, 2D interface artists, 3D character designers/riggers/animators, etc. The amount I have to spend on this project will be determined by the success of the book. Current concepts/tests can be found here: Space Folder

Finally, the last game will be an RPG that's a cross between Baldur's Gate, and NWN2. This one is under NDA and artists will only be considered that have worked on other projects prior.

Please only respond if serious, and when responding, please send a link to a portfolio. Please reference "3D Freelance Art" in the subject to your response or it will possibly be deleted as spam mail.

A bit about myself: I am currently 30 years old, and have been programming since the age of 8. I program professionally, am prior Army, and write video games / tutorials in my spare time as a hobby. A few demo videos I have done testing various features of my engine of choice can be found here: TV Demos

When working with me, I expect results, and you can expect them from me as well. I've gone through 15 artists in the past that don't seem able to produce. (I've yet to get a single completed item from any of them.) I say again, only respond if you're serious.

Artists that prove reliable, talented, and loyal will likely become a team member, splitting profits instead of freelance contracting. (This could be a good, or a bad thing.)

I am not going to lie to you. I know how competitive the game market is currently, and how often most garage game developers give up before seeing a completed project. I can guarantee this won't be the case here, as I've already put too much work into the book/games as it is.

I do not believe every artist should get paid Blizzard salaries. You do not work for Blizzard. Neither do I. I do the programming for free in the hopes of making a profit when the game sees completion. If you are an artist simply looking to make a buck, I do not need you. If creating video game art has quit being a hobby for you, and has now become a "job," you are not the artist I'm looking for. I need artists that enjoy creating the art because they wish to see something of theirs in action in an actual game. I need artists that are looking to flesh out their portfolio because they dream of one day working for a company like Blizzard.

If you are THIS artist, please contact me.

-Javin Javin@Javin-Inc.com