Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

stuff i made over the weekend

hey, what's up everyone. this is my first post at polycount but i've been lurking here i think since quake 3 came out.

anyway, here's some stuff i've been workin on:
this is the main character from the game i'm planning. i'm gonna be using the neoaxis engine for this project: link
her textures are about 98% complete, and she isn't rigged up yet, but the geometry is finished so here it is. these are fullbright images by the way; i think i'm gonna have the characters in the game fullbright'ed and the environment is gonna be all grungy and normal mapped. going for a weird old-school playstation plus next gen graphics hybrid look.
game_character__somaa_by_thomasthorne.jpg
4080 polys, 2 1024x1024 diffuse maps w/alpha

detail_of_somaa__s_face_by_thomasthorne.jpg

here's the concept and the orthagonal sketches:
somaa_concept_by_thomasthorne.png
somaa_layout_sheet_by_thomasthorne.jpg

Replies

• systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...aaand here's a model of the revolver she will carry. still workin' on the texture. it's one freudian firearm. 437 polys. the texture map is 1024x1024 now, but i might downgrade it to 512 since it's not gonna be that big on the screen.

ingram_revolver_WIP_by_thomasthorne.jpg

here's the concept sketch, with a raging bull for comparison crazy.gif
    revolver_concept_by_thomasthorne.jpg
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    great chick! she looks really nice. I like the style a lot.
    and welcome to polycount!
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! it's my first serious game model. glad you like it.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    yes, loove the silhouette. I would have kicked the textures a bit more but for a weekend's worth of work its pretty sharp.
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i'm bad about contrast when i paint. when i'm done with the holster, i think i'll just kick up the levels. cheap but fairly effective..
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    cheap but fairly effective..

[/ QUOTE ]

true, true
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    I really like how this character looks (particularly the close up shot of the face). Few things bother me though...

Three 1024 maps for her and her gun? Bit of overkill for the amount of detail on it. You could probably could have gotten away with one 1024 and maybe a 512. =\

The brown jacket is pretty boring. Adding some contrast will really push it and make it more interesting. Also try giving her some more functional clips/straps/buttons on the front (that zig-zag area, those metal things look very random). It also looks like she has a pouch, but it's broken down the middle. Maybe move the pockets away from the middle to make it look like two separate pockets and to get them off that opening edge. Could you "poof" out the collar some more? It looks like there are a few rows of faces making up that fluff, but with textures applied, it only looks like a thin strip. Scratch up her elbow pads some, make it look like she's used it.

The darker area on the gun texture is very unconvincing for gun material. For brushed metal it looks pretty good, but doesn't really fit on the gun. I'd consider making the scratch marks run with the barrel to make it look like it's been scratched from taking it out of the holster (don't over do it).

Stitching looks great on the holster. Why not carry that over onto the jacket. It could also do with some natural seams on the arms.

Looking great so far. Hope to see more from you! ^^
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like her she looks really good!
    Now I am no texturing guru but I think she could really benefit from doing some extra work on the texture of her face and hairs. The skin could use some more colour variation I think, it looks a bit bland now. Her hair could use some more depth, poop shows a good way here:
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/hair_tutorial/hair_01.htm

Keep it up, it's really nice:)
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with spacey,

also quiet some parts on the main texture are blurry, see if you can sharpen them up a bit.

besides that it already looks very cool.
  • Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
    How did you do the hose? Did you model, and pinch, and unwrap it, and -then- bend it? Did you Model and bend, then pinch, the unwrap?

If you unwrapped last, then did you have to fight to get it to layout nicely when you cylndrical mapped it?

Just wondering your order of things.

-Andrew Chason
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you need to "tie up" the nasty mirror edge on her face, it's really noticeable on the nose and mouth

nice overall, need a more love though.

the pencil concept with no eyes is cool. dont draw eyes ever again! Even better to crop out all the bad bits wink.gif
    crop.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Giving the gun more than a 256 would be a crime.

She's pretty darn cute. Keep it up!
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the hose was completely painless. it was initially just a curve and a nurbs circle, and i had maya extrude it along the path and checked the 'convert to polygons' box.. or whatever it's called, something along those lines. that makes it go along the curves nicely and has a perfectly straight little uv all set up... then for the pinching, i just grabbed vertices and used the scale tool.
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha yeah i guess i definitely do need to work with the textures more. i'm not much of a texture man, but i plan on learning. it's my first painted uv texture, i usually do procedual stuff.
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, first off, thanks for the crits everyone. i'm taking my first hack and this whole texturing thing, and i'm grateful for the help. browsing through all the crits left on work here in this section of the forum is a veritible college experience. awesome.
    i've been working on the textures a bit, making them look less dull. i also made the face less horselike and added a little more geometry there. other areas have been optimized a bit, so the polycount is roughly the same. oh, and i rigged her. pretty happy with how the deformations are working out.
    here's a couple shots:
    a_character_triptych_by_thomasthorne.png
    went a little nuts and made a 'splash' graphic of sorts with this next one:
    Nuclear_Summer_splash_by_thomasthorne.png

still gotta do a couple bits on her texture; the front of her hair for example. but for now i think i'll move on to another character. alright, thanks everyone.
  • Squirrely Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirrely Jones polycounter lvl 18
    heh, I like it. can we see an updated texture?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gun uvs and texture need LOTS of work

http://st.burst.cc/tutorials.htm
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i think the texture on the girl looks a lot better. however her face seems to be blown out a bit. it could really benefit from some subtle....and i mean SUBTLE colors. like a super light dash of red on the nose....and a bit of orangish pink in the cheeks to match the color around her eyes.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    one of my pet peeves, hiliting with white, the hilites on her face go to pure white, and unless you are tickling a lite bulb with your nose yous should never have that ammount of hilite. thats my main complaint.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, I actually like how blown out the face is. If that is the style you are going for, I think it could work. The shoes could sure use some work, though.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    going to agree with EQ, those UV's on the gun make me sad in the pants.

i like the gas mask necklace thing is cool
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've only done like 15 minutes worth of work on the gun, i think i'm gonna replace it with something else wink.gif the gun's just there so she can have something to hold :P might finish it later...
  • TheExpert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Impressive work systmh smile.gif
    If you make some ennemies,NPC with such quality you have a commercial pro quality game in the hands.
    I hope to see ingame screens and why not a little demo
    in Ogre3D forums (NeoAxis uses Ogre3D) smile.gif

How many people work with you ? lone wolf game ?

Just a remark in wireframe picture i see you have modelised legs under the pants : you can supress them , only keep pants to gain some good amount of polygons (in real time
    optimisation is needed).