Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beginnings of an alien scientist bugger

dj snyder
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
dj snyder polycounter lvl 14
Graves has seen some of this guy...anyway I'm not so great at this and this just is my first humanoid model (and third organic character), so I'm looking to improve it as much as possible

pc1kq7.jpg
pc2td3.jpg
pc3ml3.jpg

Replies

• dj snyder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking pretty good for your first humanoid model. My first was an alien as well, and it didn't come out nearly as nice as yours. wink.gif

It looks as though you've got a reptilian style going on, and I think it has a lot of potential to be a very cool model. I would suggest studying both human, and reptile anatomy, as he looks to be a bit of a mix of the two. It's also important to understand human anatomy because many of the same bone structures and muscles can be found in all mammals.

His head currently looks rather flat, and elongated. I think it could be improved if you shortened his snout slightly, and tweaked his eyes a bit.

The other suggestion I have is to try to reduce the number of polygons being used in both the head, and the body. A good rule of thumb is this: if it doesn't add to the overall silhouette, and doesn't define any forms, it's a waste of polygons.

Keep it up, and don't get discouraged. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result. smile.gif
  • dj snyder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice! I've been downloading lots of musculature diagrams and pictures of lizards and stuff...part of this is that the character is based on a description in a book, so some of the weird appearance comes from there.