Home General Discussion

Initiative requires married couples to have kids

Some people are so stupid. It will never pass, if it does I'm moving to my own island where common sense will reign supreme, and biased people with agendas will be shot on sight.

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_020507WABinitiative957SW.546c6a4d.html

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's incredibly ridiculous, and will never pass.
    It's just another example of a small minority of idiots with a big voice getting a lot of coverage. The majority of people would never agree to something like this. Or at least that's what I hope...
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Did you guys even read the article? It was obviously never intended to pass, even if it makes the ballot. They're trying to demonstrate a point about their state's ban on same-sex marriage. One of the arguments cited for supporting such a ban is that same-sex couples are incapable of producing children... well, millions of heterosexual married couples everywhere have either decided against or are physically incapable of producing children, and it doesn't make their marriage any less legitimate. It's a bullshit argument, just like those who like to extol the "sanctity" of marriage while Britney Spears is free to go try on new marriages as if they were a new outfit... right, "sanctity" icon15.gif.

I think your reaction that "this is stupid" is exactly what was intended. Yes, it is very stupid... not wanting to (or not being physically able to) produce children is no reason to prevent a couple from being married. The whole point of this initiative is to make that loud and clear.
  • Mark Dygert
    Actually its about getting the legal definition of marriage better defined to exclude homosexual couples. This isn't a clever rouse by the gay community to open peoples eyes and make them more accepting of gay marriage. Its more wack jobs being stupid. Check out the WA-DOMA site, they are serious about this. In the past they where just vocal supporters of Bush and his Sanity of Marriage act. We have a small minority of wack jobs that are local and very vocal, we also have a few mega churches around here that listen and agree to this crap because the leaders dabble in politics and run the local Christian radio stations which just happen to back this stuff (but not when its worded this overtly). It aligns perfectly with the local churches teachings, "get married young have kids raise them to be good little Christians that tithe 10%, oh yeah and gays are evil". Next comes signatures which they will hit the mega churches and they might just get enough crazies to sign.

I don't mean to turn this into a religious or political argument but they are for real, they are that crazy.

I doubt there is enough crazies within the mega churches that will go along with it as it is worded. Most are young couples who like not having kids and like to think of them selves as Christians.

Besides even if it does get the signatures, even if it does get a passing vote, all it will do is cause people to do one of two things:
    1) Not get married, which they already are doing (or not doing...).
    2) Get married and if they last the 3 years they now have a reason to split without the messy divorce.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    more to add to the basket of "fucked up news stricktly from the US and A"
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I did read the article in full, KeyserSoze, and I don't think they're trying to demonstrate a point... if you read their site, it sounds like they really mean it.
  • noritsune
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.wa-doma.org/news/S20070125.aspx

this page seems to explain pretty clearly that this IS intended to be unconstitutional, and thereby push same-sex marriage closer to being legal. they're targeting a very specific issue in a very specific decision - that same-sex marriage is unrecognized because it cannot produce children - and trying to show how unreasonable it would be if the only reason hetrosexual marriages were permitted were for child-bearing reasons.

I don't think this has anything to do with conservative christians or tithing or whatever else. The statement explains clearly that this is INTENDED to be found unconstitutional, which is in line with what KeyserSoze wrote.
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    haha i saw the movie idiocracy last night, it was one of those funny but awful movies. it is the latest movie from Mike Judge, the guy who made office space. search for some clips on youtube, it relates to this some what...
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I suspect a lot of these sorts of things are simply running issues.. a candidate pushes for something like this to pop up for review--no matter how absurd, and then when their opponent DOESN'T vote for it then they have 'ammunition' against them...
    as in, "so and so didn't vote to support tax breaks for families with dependents" or "So and so doesn't respect the sanctity of marriage"

It's all politics.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    heh, in this case the article is actually humorous though...my previous post was before I read it. This is pushed by same-sex marriage people as an effort to make them all second guess what makes a marriage a marriage...clever.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, weird, I guess they fooled me! My apologies, Keyser smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Fooled me too. Fooled local Christian radio hosts also. Yesterday they where talking about it and where fully behind it as if it was something someone should have purposed along time ago. Good to know the truth behind it, thanks guys =)
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is pretty awesome. I hope they manage to get it on the ballot.
  • Frank
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    haha i saw the movie idiocracy last night, it was one of those funny but awful movies. it is the latest movie from Mike Judge, the guy who made office space. search for some clips on youtube, it relates to this some what...

[/ QUOTE ]
    I also saw it yesterday, and yes, it's hilarious but so, so painful...just like Office Space.

Frank the Avenger
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah i also saw idiocracy. Sad how stupid people became in that movie.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Odd, I would prefer if couples (gay or straight) that couldn't make children were encouraged to get married. Slowing population growth for the win!