Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dominance War II - Clint

Clint
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Clint polycounter lvl 18
Just making a spot. BTW anyone know if you can change your display name without creating a new account on here? I forgot how i typed mine lol..... that and its just.. inefficient

UPDATES AT BOTTOM

Replies

• Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Alright i got an idea boiling and now im trying to put it on paper.

The story behind this guy is he was a scientist researhing natural resources and their powers for use in special weaponry for the polycount militia. Digging through the scattered remains of the planet after the explosion, he uncovered two spherical relics of power unfathomable. Upon touching the relics he was overwhelmed by a demonic force. These two stones housed the spirits of two demons from within the planet which were awakened by the explosion. The demons accepted this mortal as a host through which they could channel their power. With a mind altered by the demon spirits, the man turned immortal is destined be a backbone of polycounts forces and lay bloodied ruin to whatever may cross his path grin.gif

Alright enough lame backstory. Pretty much the guy is a badass who can control these indestructable spheres as he pleases. When not in use, they dock on his lower arms.

Ive got a helmet design that im still playing with but i like the shape. Its sort of influenced by spacemonkey's wow contest entry

tell me what ya think

first_sketches.jpg

..... Gauss im lonely. Come post on mine crazy.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ahaha... hey man, i'm getting to EVERYBODY... it takes hours. if i had been honest with myself about how long this would be taking, i might not have done it. but hey, internet cafes are cheap in thailand, and this is way better than taking that lame-ass tour i almost took around downtown that was too expensive and with a guy whose english wasn't so hot.

anyhow, here are my thoughts: indestructible balls are a very nice weapon, and demon imagery is usually a shoe-in. a few concerns are to: (1) align the design with a more tech/futuristic look fitting a post year 3000 kind of deal, and (2) keeping a tech/demonic style from becoming another ken scott bite. arguably it won rockstar a first place last year, but to that i'd tell you that's because of the unimpeachable quality of Corum's execution. unless you can outdo him there, and most will not be able to, then forget it. you'll need to add some sort of special sauce of your own into the mix to make it work.
    about the balls and the general demon styling: the idea of balls "docking" or otherwise embedding in flesh made me think immediately of Wayne Barlowe's Inferno. go pick it up, or at the very least google it, and then maybe go over and look through the book at Barns and Noble, you shiftless sponger.
    i'm reminded because in Barlowe's depiction of Hell, the souls of the damned are given their sins as a physical weight, that intersects with their person in some painful, awkward way. it's a really powerful visual, as is just about everything in the book: most everything looks made of crumbling ash and bone, lit with glowing runes and fire. pretty standard hell stuff, i know what it sounds like, but Barlowe carries it off with tremendous sensitivity and a somewhat unsettling dedication of vision. might give you some ideas about how the balls dock into his flesh.
    anyway, that's one, for the hell/demon stuff. you still need to manage to integrate more of a tech look... all i can say is to avoid the obvious avenues. in fact, if you really want to push the quality of your design, give yourself (seemingly) harsh restrictions. say, no spikes. no gigeresque crap, etc., no tubes. no tribal tats, no runes. now i would stop short of saying no skulls or horns, because that's a challenge i dont think even i'd be quite ready to take up right now, but you get my idea. they seem like brutal limitations, but believe me, limitations are freedom--freedom for you to finally explore alternative styling ideas and detailing that you said you'd always try out but never did, because you'd always go straight to the easy, comfortable, familiar at hand.
    hope this helps some. again, the one that really cooks my goose right now is that upper lefthand thumbnail, with him smoking, because smoking is both cool and so, so dangerous, so of course this guy would be doing it. but it also helps to ground him as a more modern/futuristic type character, and not fantasy, which is something you need to watch for.
    anyhow, i very much enjoy your pencil work and would like to see more. keep us updated!
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Man haha i dont even know what to say except thanks for not taking that lame ass tour smirk.gif. I definately agree with what you said. My sketches definately dont scream future tech. Also im glad you told me about Barlowe's amazing work. It gave me alot of ideas on where to go with not only the arms but the overall skin tones.
    Im racking my brain for ideas that arent cliche to everthing out there but its hard haha. After all we only learn from what we see and how we can bend it. I probably just need to look at some more work that could relate to this character idea.
    Until then i threw down this sillouhete (i know, kind of going backwards grin.gif) with some techy glowy bits. Ive never really concepted in a sillouhette before but i like it.

silhouette.jpg
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    why does he have the quake3 logo on his chest?
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    I drew up a new concept. I was having trouble getting an origional character out of the demon guy. After thumbing through the threads i came across shady-d's monster and it reminded me that bow and arrows are still cool. Then this came out.

ill call him cupid for now. Its a bare sketch at the moment and im still trying to figure out how to give it some more character and origionality. Workin on ideas for the shoulder part, refining the helmet, and what to do with the legs and boots. Doh, and for got his quiver and pack of smokes

Im just wondering with concept to stick with. What do you guys think?

cupid.jpg
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Finnaly found some time to refine Cupid, the chain somking archer of the future. He has blades concealed in his right gauntlet for close combat and a gun.... for emergencies. Im overall pretty happy with what i got and i really need to get started on the model. C&C plz! grin.gif
    cupidconcept.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think his bow needs to be more imposing. I also think you shuold try to make the skulls look even more alien.

Other then that, I really like how its going.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    I'm fond of hunters in general and I really like this one. Allthough as Aesir said, the bow needs to be beefed up a little. Now it looks to be the size of Kid Icarus's bow.
    I'm not too fond of the skulls placement either but, this might just be me.

I really can't spot any quiver in there, perhaps he doesn't need any but I think it would be cool with a quiver decorated with a spine from any of his prey and some skulls perhaps.

Cheers,
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe not Cupid so much as KILLPID mad.gifooo.gif
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Started workin on the base. Concepting the bow when im not modeling.
    modelwip.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Love the latest concept dude, though the proportions are a little off, I think the legs are too small. But that aside, I think its great.
    The base mesh looks really nice, great flow. Can't wait to see how it pans out.

-caseyjones
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Yea I need to start paying attention to what im doin. I do that alot. I was drawing kind of slumped over when I did the concept, so the legs seemed bigger from my perspective haha. I definatly noticed it tho when I was done and scanned it in. I beefed them up for the base though so its all good. the high poly stuff like what ive done on the knee pads so far is takin me forever. Would it be a wise idea to use mudbox to block out the techy bits then just use a topology tool to refine them? I thought about it when i came across topogun. I dont know, has anyone tried this?
  • Unknown Pwn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fun concept, and within the contraints even.
    Cant wait to see your texturing.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    clint, i knew you'd be coming through. you've got a strong start on the model and it's all gravy from here on out--thick, nasty meat product, i mean. whaahaha. okay okay, so modeling and refining and such might not be the easiest or the most fun, but you've got a great entry on your hands if you see your concept through. so let's see it!
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Bah. Im getting behind, but I figured id post what I have so that yall dont think im a quitter grin.gif. Right now, Im just blocking out shapes and getting the hard surfaces done so that i can move it into mudbox and have some fun. Also, I got my wacom in the mail today and my first sketch with it was some weapon concepting. More updates to come. Enjoy
    modelwip2.jpg
    weaps.jpg
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    That is a pretty fricking sweet character, and I love the bow! I do believe I have found my character's rival in yours grin.gif

Can't wait to see more!
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    How about an outdated update confused.gif. These shots are about 3 days old but i got side tracked and never posted em so here they are! I changed up the boots... for the better i think. Currently im finishing up the gauntlets then the model will be ready to nurbs the hard stuff and take it into mudbox woot. C&C pls. I dunno if the spinning gif was worth anything but i was just doin it to waste time that i didnt have grin.gif
    modelwip4.jpg
    spinning.gif
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two workds: Awe some
    lol
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jap this looks realy cool smile.gif

.. can hardly find some stuff to crit..

would give him more ass..

and kind of a belt for the pants itself
    would kill the loose-look of them
    or pull them more up at the front

hope this helps bit smile.gif

good fight good night!
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    A sneak peek at some early mudboxing. Im lovin this program it is so easy to use. Quick question by the way. How do i get my Wacom to work with Mudbox. I mean, it works, but the sensitivity levels arent affecting the sculpting. Its working just like a mouse right now frown.gif
    mud1.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    nice smile.gif

about the mudbox problem.. i drop the brush strength to some very low level.. this works best for me and i can use the wacom-pen-pressure sensitivity

but it´s not the golden way.. maybe you have the same problem roots and this helps
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Ya thx Rollin. That helped with the sensitivity by turning it down. I made a little more progress. Im workin a little more relaxed now since the deadline got extended. Another quick Mud question. I forgot to import the kneepads meshsmoothed like i did the rest of the hard surfaces. I also forgot i need to make the quiver. DOH. Anyway, how do you merge an object into mudbox like u can in 3dsmax?
    mud2.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good dude, a bit muddy in places but still a lot better than I can do...
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i totally love this design.. reminds me bit on outcast..

realy cool smile.gif
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    We'll here goes another contest i wont finish in time. I just finished the hi poly and ive never done normals so even if i crammed today... theres no way. grin.gif Anyway, i learned some more stuff and i DO plan on finishing it. It'd be a good start for my portfolio that ill make. Its sloppy in areas and not as good as id like it to be but i had some flaws in my base topology etc. Into the polycount graveyard!

modelwip4.jpg
    weapswip.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    but this looks to cool smile.gif finish it anyway
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Major bummer guys..... i got a hideous virus on my comp and was force to wipe my harddrive to remove it. I lost everything: this, my base, and everything ive done before it mad.gif. All i have left of my work is some pics on my webspace. So for this guy, its over frown.gif
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    pron is bad mmkay....

all joking aside, that totally sucks man. must back up your stuff from now on.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    so much awesomeness lost, 2nd time around might work out even better. good luck
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    So much for bumping ancient posts haha. But yea thanks man, i am indeed competing this year and actually plan to finish. In fact, im just about to post my DW3 thread with my thumbs grin.gif so go there instead lol.