Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Windmill

First post!
I’m currently building my portfolio so that I can launch my web site in preparation for GDC. Critiques are very much appreciated:

Marcantel_Windmill_Render.jpg

Marcantel_Windmill_PolyCount.jpg

Replies

• Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    It's a good start, but I think it could use more contrast and interest. Maybe some more dirt and vines growing on the windmill, and some color variation on the bricks, a few props sitting around, little touches like that. It also looks like the trunk of the tree isn't textured. A little more love and it'll look nice.
  • kukk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    Hum... i think that a thing like this won't do you any good in you portfolio (at least it looks so in this state) - it doesn't actually demonstrate any modeling skill and the the textures are not so good either. It's not bad really, but it is certainly not as good as it should be for use in a portfolio.

Some critics:
    It is quite hard to understand what the dome is covered with (messy texture). And why is it faceted?
    Why are there no shadows?
    You should use refs to see how a windmill is built.
    The main point of your scene seems to be making it as low-poly as possible, but there is still some obvious poly-wasting. The grass for example - what is the use of the height segments? Actually, you'd probably get the best result by using just separate planes. No need to use that many polys for the flag either. And a tip for the caps of cylinders - if you don't want to make it look round, don't put a vertex in the middle. Weld it to one of the side vertexes.
    And actually, the dark edges of the cloth were first thing that caught my eye.

And btw, the blades of the propeller (or however they are called) must be rotated, otherwise the wind won't make the propeller turn at all.

Good luck smile.gif
  • JoelM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

@ oglemeanimations: I’ll put in some rocks or junk or something to make the scene a little more interesting. Good call with the tree; I’ll spruce it up.

@kukk: I think I’ve received the most flak from people for that dome. I wanted the sides to look segmented, like they’re flat pieces of wood arranged in a dome shape, but if it comes off looking like I’ve made a mistake, then it doesn’t serve me too well. Maybe if I softened the smoothing and then textured harder seams between the planks? It looks like they need to be sharpened up anyway.
    Thanks for the advice with the blades and spindle. I’ll bend the blades and weld that vertex on the spindle.
    I had the height segments in the grass planes so that I could bend the grass, but apparently it isn’t working too well. Hmm… Maybe all I really need to do is figure out some more interesting angles for single planes.
    When you ask “Why are there no shadows?” I think you’re referring to shapes cast by the geometry and whatnot, right? It’s simply preference. I like soft lighting because it seems more soothing to me.

I’ll change it up and post again sometime next week. Again, thanks a lot!