Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

character concept

Fjornsvavne
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
Hey, I seldom post what I do, but here I got a thing that've been nagging me a bit. Character concepting. This is a fairly quick one, a sheet for me to model later. Though I would like to be clear and happy with his looks before I start. The thing now is that I wonder how one should think to make a character more interesting or appealing. So please do C&C, and give me your thoughts of the topic. smile.gif

Link to concept/sheet

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    i like him! (the concept wink.gif) one crit on the drawing so far: the mouth area looks weird, his mouth is too low, the moustache can be that long but then you just wouldn't see the mouth, or it would be moved sideways.i don't really know anything to make him more interesting... one excercise is to make up a little story for you character, you write down where he comes from, his age and stuff like that and then while working on that, things to express his newly created identity will pop up into your mind. (got the idea from a "designing cartoon characters" book (in dutch))
    overall i like him a lot and i think it has lots of character already! good job!
  • 3D-j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I have to say is reference... If you would like him to be more interesting think of his background story. Then tell it through his appearence. His texture and personality will want to be expressed through the drawing without having people asking questions what it is. Its great so far, just needs some anatomy reference and a turnaround to help get his whole form into your head. Color will always give him personality to. It may give you more ideas to look up his time period. See what his surroundings were like. If you want a character sheet that is more effective, draw a front side and 3/4 pose. If needed draw the back. When drawing the side view do not draw the arm but draw it next to it.