Home Technical Talk

High-poly mechanical objects - tutorials?

I've been looking around for tutorials on normal mapping mechanical objects that don't have that ultra futuristic rounded, sleek, organic feel as in Unreal Tournament or Gears of War (more industrial, man-made feel like engine blocks, bulldozers and the like).

What's some of your methodologies to modeling mechanical objects that have a lot of hard edges? The only thing I really know is to create a reference copy in Max of your low poly model, apply turbosmooth, and start chamfering edges on your low poly, but that ends up with a lot of weird shadow problems on the surfaces. Do you pros even turbosmooth mechanical models, or do you simply get 'enough detail' through regular modeling, then re-create the low-poly model to fit the high?

Are the high poly models air tight, including all the little nuts and bolts? I'm at a complete loss. I've been modeling a little over a year now, but we have never focused on mechanical modeling with the intent to normal map. Thanks!

Edit: The intent is in creating real-time content for games, though at this point, I'm willing to try anything. confused.gif

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
  • Droknar
    Thanks, some nice links in there.
  • Cubik
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    They don't have to be airtight. Float meshes like bolts, vents, nuts, basically anything that requiers a lot of extra edges to merge with the overall shape of the model. Then use cages or raycast distance to get your program to pick what meshes you want to be rendered to the normalmap.
    About turbosmooth, just preper you model with extra edges by using a combination of any of these amazing maxscripts:

http://www.vg2max.spb.ru/EdgeChEx.htm
    http://www.luxinia.de/download/arttools/CB_EdgeStraighten.mcr

or the maya version of Edgestraighten by Whargoul
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/whargoul/CRstraightenEdges.mel

and manual tweaking.
    Don't miss these scripts, they will make your highpoly modeling so much faster.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The EdgeChEx is damn nice. I've been using CrazyButcher/Per's Edge straight script for some time as well. What a life saver smile.gif
  • Flewda
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    I must warn about EdgeChEx, I started using it recently, and although it appears to work fine, if you export it as an .obj or something to put into mudbox/zbursh, you ahve very messed up results. The best way to see what it is doing is to use it, run turbosmooth, then to a Tools>snapshot and it will rebuild it with the errors. But it only seems to happen in the "advanced" mode.
  • Droknar
    Thanks a lot, everyone. I'm starting to get this. The single most important thing I've pulled is the 'floating geometry' idea, which had honestly never really occurred to me.

Side question, though. If you want to do a high poly model for display and really nice renders, what would you do instead of floating geometry? Things like small bevels for screws, panel seams, diamond plate, etc. cannot be floated due to the silhouette. Is this simply extrude/bevel, chamfer and adding loops?
  • EarthQuake
    a lot of times in renders you wont even notice floating details, but it all depends on the angle of the render and size of it.
  • Droknar
    So some cinematic or high-poly models have floating geometry, even if they were never intended for normal mapping? I'm trying to figure out if some of the super-detailed objects I see are solid meshes with all the little divots, nuts, and cool inlays or if they're using some of the techniques previously mentioned in this thread.
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    you get a lot more features like bevel, perfect booleans, lots of edge tweaking for "free" in CAD software, so depending on how "professional" stuff maybe, when exported thru NURBS or alike, you might be able to use models done with CAD features, which of course are a lot more streamlined to mechanical stuff. Been using some CAD modeller myself at university, and lots of things are just really cool. However the workflow is less suited for "creativity", more like building LEGO and having to stick to a plan. If you got that sort of plan before, it's very quick to do a lot of stuff very efficient so.
    This might be true for some film stuff or not (no clue)
  • fritz
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i was looking through these myself. and i noticed not a lot of people mention smoothing groups(max). is there a reason for this? most of the stuff i've normal mapped has been organic stuff. will applying smoothing groups to a subd model or meshsmoothed model cranked up an interation or two affect the quality of your normal map?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Yo fritz. Smoothing groups are just a quick way to add hard edges to a mesh. They don't affect sub-division, unless you specifically tell Max to do so, and they generally do not translate between programs. Better to use bevels or chamfers, those do translate between apps.

Usually I find it's best to assign a single smoothing group to the whole mesh when baking a normalmap in Max. This avoids many of the seams and also avoids mis-casting between the low and the high. I think Poopinmymouth's tut had a bit on this?

On the high-res model you could use Smoothing Groups if you want, but the backwards way Max forces you to apply them, it's easier to make chamfers/bevels IMHO. Poop has a tut for Smoothing Groups too.

If I'm in a hurry, I'll use Smoothing Groups to define hard edges on the low-res mesh, after baking. But I always get better results when I use a single Smoothing Group and use bevels or chamfers instead... then I can choose exactly how soft or hard I want an area to be, just by how tight the bevel is. In the end, a bevel is the same in-game vertex cost as a hard edge made with Smoothing Groups... four verts for each edge.

Ultimately though I think it depends on where you bake the normalmap, and how well your game exporter translates the tangent calculations from the normalmap baker into your game format. If you bake in Max, you'll get the best results exporting directly from Max. Same with Doom III's baker, works best with Doom III.

Dunno if that makes sense.
  • fritz
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    yeah eric that makes sense. thanks so much for your reply...tis very informative.

i know how to do all the smoothing group stuff. and i know it's best to assign one smoothing group to your lowpoly. i was mainly curious about the highpoly and how those smoothing groups would translate after a bake. hahaha. i guess another way to do it is to experiment. hahaha.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Probably would bake fine, but again you're only able to make a super-sharp edge, no finesse. smokin.gif