rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
WELCOME TO THE WOW!

vista1.jpg

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, but that only happens to stupid people. Obviously you suck at life.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Whats life with out the worry of a blue screen of death?
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Lucky! I've been using Windows for something like eight years and I've never had a BSOD. frown.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Lucky! I've been using Windows for something like eight years and I've never had a BSOD. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Much as I love Windows and all... you do realize that makes you a god, right? Since Win 98 and no BSOD?!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Lol I've seen that screen soooo many times, but its been a while, Im getting all nostalgic.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    how did you do that? :O

I've been trying everything to get vista to crash, no such luck frown.gif
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Must have been Fred H, just incase Vitaliy was thinking of entering dom war 2 wink.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Must have been Fred H, just incase Vitaliy was thinking of entering dom war 2 wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    LOL! CGChat sabotage!
    I haven't had a blue screen of death in a long while... Last time I did, it was a hardware issue more than a windows issue.

-caseyjones
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't seen a BSOD since 2002, when I switched to XP...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Speaking of which, Microsoft set off a HUGE fireworks display in Seattle to celebrate the launch of Vista, for a minute there I was wondering what the hell was goin on because that was a BIG display!
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Much as I love Windows and all... you do realize that makes you a god, right? Since Win 98 and no BSOD?!

[/ QUOTE ]

BSOD was pretty much the default desktop in 98 :P

Vista's pushed me over the linux switch breaking point, especially after reading this article. A very good read for anyone who isn't currently angry enough about Vista

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys do realise xp just turned off bsod for most things, right?
    Fresh out of the box, it just defaults to rebooting instead of bsod's.
    Allthough you still get them with driver conflicts, i believe.
    Xp's still a lot more stable than 98 though, in my experience.
    XPerience!
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    What? The BSOD doesn't use Aero for displaying errors? If I have to buy a new graphics card I want my errormessages to be shiny, dammit! smile.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    wow....cant wait for google OS
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow penzer... i almost threw up a little in my mouth after reading that article.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'll pick a copy up in 2012
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like my Dell pc at work two weeks ago. LOL
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    As I stated in my other Vista topic, that article which Penzer posted is complete crap. 90% of it is either old, or outright false.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    screenshots never lie !
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One snip from the article: "Since there are currently no PCs for sale offering graphics chips that support HDCP"

I bought my card back in September of last year, and it's HDCP compliant (7950GX2). That article is way out of touch.

The guy also has a huge section, whining about drivers not working perfectly. The same exact thing happened with WinXP! I don't see why people are going all negative on Vista. It's seriously not as bad as people (and especially that article) make it out to be.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    personally, it sucks a shitload of memory so it seems...BUT i have never used the system so i cant really tell, but at least for me i want to have full use of my memory, thats why i usually remove needless crap from xp visuals, etc and stuff that isnt running.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago, did you even read the article?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Ninjas...it's about DRM and various content protection solutions in Vista...

And I'm picking it apart, because a lot of it is crap.
    Your point is?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    meh, I haven't really paid any attention to Vista so I have no real opinion on it. I do think their new pricing scheme is pretty lame.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    wow penzer... i almost threw up a little in my mouth after reading that article.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're all wondering the same thing:

Did you spit or swallow?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago,

Well, I read the part about how drivers will cost more to develope because of new Windows requirements (passing the cost on to the consumer). I read the part about how the "tilt switches" are designed to cause subsystems to reboot. I read the part about Microsoft being able to disable drivers that have been "compromised". I did not read a part "whining about drivers not working perfectly".

I also read the part where he mentions that ATI and Nvidia both released graphics cards claiming to be HDCP compliant that in fact were not, so just because it says it on the box does not mean it is true.

So my point is that it seemed like you didn't read the article. You say you have, so that must mean you read it but didn't understand it.

Not that I agree with the paper. I read the Microsoft rebuttal and it made a lot of sense-- that Microsoft had to make these changes for HD content or not have it at all.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, maybe my post was a bit misleading. My computer(s) has certainly frozen up on me over the years, but I can't remember ever seeing the BSOD. If things really start chugging I'll just restart manually. I've found Windows to be quite stable, anyways. It'll take some really serious problems to scare me away from the compatibility and ease-of-use that Win XP offers.

Not tried Vista yet, I'll probably wait until it's a little more mainstream.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    personally, it sucks a shitload of memory so it seems...

[/ QUOTE ]

Only the first couple of betas sucked down lots of memory. right now i'm running vista on my desktop and it's about the same (less sometimes) than when I run XP.

The part of that article about tilt bits just doesn't seem right to me. I've ran Vista on my laptop and desktop since RC1 and I have yet to experience a freeze or even a reboot in Aero. I have two USB hard drives, a USB printer, a USB mouse and keyboard, and I hotsync my phone to my computer all the time through USB. I accidentally kick my desktop and laptop all the time while they are running, sometimes even causing the hard drives to reboot. I live in a 30 year old house with the original wiring, and all I have between the computer and the wall is a $3 surge protector from Walmart.

I triple boot between SuSe Linux, XP Pro, and Vista Ultimate, and I end up booting into Vista 90% of the time. I'll only boot into Linux if I'm doing Java programming and XP if there's some old software I need to run. It's sexy and works good. And it makes me feel like I'm in The Minority Report when I use the fancy 3D windows.

I may sound like a Microsoft representative, but in reality I'm telling you this just to offset the amount of people that bash it without even trying it.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    windows' osx is good then?

whatever next!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the wackiest thing about that article was the part where he sais vista will pretty much block access to hardware it deems unsecure, i dunno i always have some of the most current crap anyway so i doubt i'll have lots of problems with it, still don't think i'll be making a switch any time soon, just wait like 6 months or so for it to be totally integrated and just go all out 64 bit. btw is anyone running it in 64bit, is it still slower than win64 like it was in the beta?