Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ship Concept

Hello all polycounters. I have been following you all for quite some time, I'd thought let's post some of my work. I am a bit new to concept art, and I could use some solid critique.
kyreniasq9.jpg

It's resized from 1600x1200

Replies

• Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Hey St Joris
    Hope you dont take this the wrong way I dont mean to come off as an asshole or anything but I think you should work hard at developing your traditional skills if you are interested in concept art. Of course it all depends on how seriously you wanna take it but the guys and gals that produce quality concepts here and at www.conceptart.org spent years developing their skills taking into account light volume shade colour perspective line quality composition and all that jazz, I think you will have a hard time getting some piece specific crits because its hard to know where to start. The only advice I can give ya is to not try and make that one perfect concept piece that is going to blow everyone away because thats the slowest way to develop the trick is to make a hundred or thousand pieces ala sketchbook of all different sorts of styles and subject matter so you as an artist can develop and then can produce a stunning piece at will smile.gif
    That said I havent seen any of your other work so I might be way off and will need to see the doc for a severe case of footinmymouthitus but heres some Loomis stuff that might help http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1 successful drawing is a good place to start and the others are great if your interested in character stuff. Theres a bunch of other great books out there that can help like the infamous drawing on the right side of the brain which helped me a ton.
    Anyway hope I haven’t been a discouraging dickwad just thought I would give my 2 cents, your piece does show some potential otherwise I would have never bothered to write this I just see peeps start out like this all the time including myself and wish that someone had told me this back then.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply Zeldrik,
    I have continueed the concept, but I think perhaps making a sketch or line drawing will help, so i do't have to make up shapes, watch colour and shade at the same time but rather in steps. I am having difficulty rendering shading, details and especially materials, do you know any books, or other info on that? Looking at the pictures at conceptart made me feel really humble and realise I still need to work a lot on my skills.
    Updated concept:

kyreniayp9.jpg
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17