Home Technical Talk

need hints on modeling a human head

Smuphix
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Smuphix polycounter lvl 17
hi, I am new to organic modeling and I am trying to model a human head using a photo reference. At this time, I am on a deadpoint, where I see many errors on the model, but don't actually know how to fix them. I would really apreciate any critics and hints on this.

also, I'd like you to point out my biggest errors on this model. Just to compare if I see them or not.

thanks very much!

reference:
reference.jpg

meshsmoothed model:
smoothed.jpg

wires:
wires.jpg

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    the edgeflow is really good i think, can't see anyting bad really (i thought the mouth was a bit too wide but then i saw the reference...)
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    I think setting those ortho's on image planes and lining them up with the model will show most of the problems off. Here are a few biggies I spot:

-Shape and fullness of the lips
    -Brow is practically nonexistent
    -The end of the nose looks too big while the rest tappers to the brow too sharply
    -Shape of the eye (lids, tear duct, fat folds over eye, etc)
    -Please take time eventually to model the ear proper. It may not look like it, but it's loads of fun being this bizarrely shaped object.

As for fixing it, just keep tugging at verts until it looks right grin.gif

Also, it looks like you mirrored the face over (in the reference). Humans are asymmetrical so having a "perfect" face looks odd. The mirroring also causes some features to become distorted (nose skinny, lips, chin). I'd suggest after this pass you model his left side from the unmirrored reference to break the symmetry.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is pretty good.
    Nice meshflow and definatily a very promising start.

One question,do you intend to put this into Zbrush/Mudbox or anything like that,or is purily a max/maya/silo (etc etc) exercise?

John
  • Smuphix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smuphix polycounter lvl 17
    2spacey: thanks, I wanted exactly crits and hints like this. the eyes, mouth and ears with its detail are my main problem - like you also noticed.

2bronco: this was my first attempt to model a human head with higher polycount, after I am satisfied with the model - I'll go to the next step which is to try zbrush or mudbox on it. (which are programs that are new to me)

If you have some suggestions about the export of this model to zbrush or better mudbox, I'd be thankful. grin.gif

thanks smile.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    tho when modeling with ortho planes in your viewport be sure to rember that the photos have perspective in them,, and if you model acuratley to them in your viewport with no perspective, or perspective way difrent than what was used, then you could end up with a funky model,, just something to keep in mind.