Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need comment to improve my modeling.

Hi all,
Im trying to learn to model for game and its really hard ^^.
Look at this image, I dunno how to get rid of these horrible shadow, I tried to turn the edge to get a cool tristriping ( beside the fact that I don't fully understand what a good trisprip is. )
So I put the pix of my head and let you comment and give me some advice.
For the lightning, I got a basic 3 points lightning.
What bother me is the area near the eyes, the nose and the neck.
Thx.

shadow3fy.th.jpgwwire5qp.th.jpg

Replies

• dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    you actually have a pretty damn good start...the reason your getting those weird shadows is because of your smoothing groups...im not sure what program your using but hopefully you know how to adjust these...basically what I do is select all your poly's and turn them to a full 180 degree smooth...after that go to area's that are getting those weird shading area's like the nostrils will for instance, select the inside faces of the nostriles and set those to a 90 degree edge and it will get rid of it...in maya I believe you do this to just edges which is really nice, in max its faces. either way works...basically using smoothing groups is also another way to accent area's of your low poly model which allows you to really push or rather not push your poly count .
  • PrayingMantis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thx,
    Im using Max. And I try to not using smoothing group because of the normal map I will apply on it.
    I found that it fight with the NM.
    Take a look at the head with NM.
    I tried to play with the smooth angles but I can't get rid of these shadow, if I get rid of some, other appear.
    Maybe it's my modeling who sucks.
    nm1ju.th.jpg
  • TekNiK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TekNiK polycounter lvl 18
    From what I can see your modeling definitely doesn't suck. I personally think you're doing fine I really see nothing wrong with the model.
  • PrayingMantis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you mean that I can handle with those sort of shadow?
    Im totally new in the game modelling, Im gathering here and there some information, trying to look at some models and I didn't see those shadow that's why it disturbed me.
    So I can go on the texturing part?
    Here you can see my first model, and I got the same problem, but it was my mesh who was not really good (I think).