Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Transfomers Starscream

Mr Ray
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
Just under 2k tris. Still need to paint me spec and bump maps an tweak the diffuse.
Any tips to improve its current state?

Full illuminum screengrabs
starscream5.jpg

th_starscream4.jpg th_starscream6.jpg th_starscream7.jpg th_starscream8.jpg th_starscream9.jpg

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    What you have done is great, I love viewing each of these designs.

Would make an awesome wall paper if and or when you decide to create all the decepticons and autobots.

Is this your mission? These look like fun to make! *goes to check out your site*.

C&C:
    When i glanced over the diffuse I said to myself it doesn't read as metal very much but, this is all depending on the style your going with. But don't mind me I am a nut for quality, I think everything should look realistic cause it has such potential smile.gif.

I am sure you will work it all out.
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    had time to work on the texture alil bit 2night, hopefully it reads as metal a lil better now =S
    th_starscream10.jpg th_starscream11.jpg
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that really screamed at me (get it?) was when taking a look at it in the fighter mode. Take a look at the part that would be the back of his lower leg. The faked lighting on it is a bit harsh, and really stands out to me.

I think you could also fade out some of the panel lines. It'd probably read better if you toned it down in the lighter areas.

I'd also give the fins that are on his legs a few pixels to cover the ends that are showing. It's little things like that that say 'yo. I know what I doing.'

[edit] A couple more things caught my eye before I closed those pictures.

I did a quick paintover to show what I'm talking about. (doubled the res so you can see what is going on)

fix01.jpg

LEFT- It isn't shown when he has transformed, but when he's in jet mode, you can see these vents real good. The thing is that visually they look like they are resting along the same plane. To help sink it in and give the illusion that those blades are sinking in, I darkened in towards the edge of the blades, and then lightned some of the outside edges

RIGHT- the buttons on the side of the guns doesn't really come off all too well the way you have it. I looked at a few pictures for reference, and that knob is a bit more flat and not even tapered. I also took out some of the darkness on the underside of it so it won't stick out so much when it's animated/posed at a different angle.
  • Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    are you going to be able to animate him transforming?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I take it by some of the details on the figure that you used the recent "Classics" Starscream as a modelling base?
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like another gooden to me ray, pass him over when your done and I'll get him ingame with the others :-D
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    Think it's looking pretty cool, although the specular needs to be pushed more to make it metallic.
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobound: thanx, those are great tips, ive done what uve suggested and iv also dirtied him up a bit and sharpened the texture.

Manic: al pass it along to showster and see what he does with it smile.gif But al have a go at it too laugh.gif

Valandar: I actually modeled the plane first then jus cut away at it to make the robot mode, maybe classics starcream was made the same way smile.gif

Quickel: I havent applied any spec maps yet smile.gif

I cant display spec or bump maps in my viewpoints for some reason, only in renders. So al pimp some out later when i try and rig him.

60% illumination max viewpoints grabs with just the diffuse map:
    th_starscream12.jpg th_starscream13.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, true. About the only major difference is the arms slide inwards into the body in jet mode, whereas yours are just hanging there on the side in jet mode. Still, nice work, though I would have had the calves start a little higher up the fuselage, he looks a little long-torsoed to me.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    thats fucking awesome!
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well gonna call this finished.
    2k tris
    2 512² diffuse, spec & bump maps
    quick crappy rig

th_starscream14.jpg th_starscream15.jpg th_starscream16.jpg
    th_starscream17.jpg th_starscream18.jpg
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    This is really nice. Cool have finished it.
    Great work, gratz.