Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thief 2 mission WIP

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
This is a mission I am building for Thief 2. It takes place an an abandoned asylum.

the administration building
admin.jpg

the admin lobby
adminlobby.jpg

the security hall connecting the admin with the asylum
securhall.jpg

a hall full of lightshafts
liighhall.jpg

the kitchen
kitchen-1.jpg

Any ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    1 question, are you still to light it? looks like its just got 50% ambient light on everything. shadows are rather important in thief I heard wink.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I'm not sure what the Thief 2 engine is like for lighting, but it could use a LOT more contrast. Right now everything seems to be pretty much the exact same value. Try to get some brighter highlights and some shadows in there. Pick some light sources and use those. (Remember, ambient lights are the enemy!)

It's also very grey, so trying to get some more colour in the textures and lighting could be very helpful. (Remember that colour and lighting should be used to guide the player in a level).

Also, what's with the blue light(?) beams? They seem a very saturated shade of blue to be light, and seem to be kind of odd in how they're shining through the grates. What light source are they coming from? It seem extremely odd to have light beams in opposite directions.

Anyways, other than that it's looking cool, keep moving with it. smile.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Get some lighting in there, the ambient light is killing your environment. It has no real depth or shadows.
    Also, the light shafts look a little odd coming from both directions in the hallway screengrab.
    And finally, it's not looking abondoned to me at this stage, it just looks empty. Maybe some rubble/debris, some furniture or items that have been left behind from the previous occupants.
    Think of gameplay elements you wish to incorporate and work your mesh around those. Currently it looks like you can walk through and that's about it. It doesn't seem to have crevices or pillars to hide behind.
    Other than that, it's a great start and look forward to seeing more.

-caseyjones
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighting is usually the last step. Those blue lights are light shafts. The moon is shining through the barred windows. Also, some of you mentioned about how they're coming from both directions. Would one side have smaller, less visible shafts or none at all?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Would one side have smaller, less visible shafts or none at all?

[/ QUOTE ]
    This all depends on your lighting. Where is it coming from? How strong is it?
    If the moon is going to be your main source of lighting, then only have the shafts from one side. If its a really cloudy day and the light is being diffused then some really really soft light shafts can come from both sides. But I mean REALLY SOFT!

-caseyjones
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even with what Casey mentioned above, I can think of pretty much no way that the moonlight could shine in from two directions. It would either come in through one side because the light is directed very straight on that side, the moon would be high in the sky, which would make it on top of the building so both sides would be in shadow and very little light would come through, no where near enough to cast beams, or it was really cloudy so the lighting would be diffused, which would mean it wouldn't be bright or direct enough to cast beams like that. (Remember also that light beam are beams because light travels in straight lines. So the moon being a light source would not be able to bend it's beams around to get them to the other side of the building. Unless there is a mirror there to reflect the moonlight, there's pretty much no way for that to happen).

Also, lighting should not be the last step. If you plan out your lights ahead of time it can help you to figure out what textures are working, what textures are not working, where you need more detail (well lit areas) where you can put detailing to the low priority side of things (heavily shadowed areas) etc...

Also, lighting is probably the most important aspect to mood, so you should try to nail it early on. I find more and more that there is no "Last step" in this kind of thing. You should be building and tweaking as you go on everything.

Another reason, as mentioned, to get the lighting in early is that for a game that involves shadows in gameplay, you should have the gameplay nailed asap. (That should be the first step).
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about the shafts being barely visible and slanted in one direction?

Also, to understand why the more detailed lighting is about the last step, you need to understand the limitations of the engine on which this game was built. The level editor, DromEd's main process is "portalization". In this process, DromEd processes the level, and makes any changes made to the mission take place in the game world. The more complex the level, the longer portalization takes. By adding such lighting earlier in the construction of the mission, your making the portalization take much longer.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's good so long as they are all in one direction.
  • Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    theres no way that there would be light beams from both sides if its moon light, and even then moon light isnt that bright so it the beams wouldnt be that strong. Make only 1 side have light beams if its supposed to be moon light. Right now it looks like theres a blue light behind each grate.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    marshal: can you set objects/entities not to export?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    marshal: can you set objects/entities not to export?

[/ QUOTE ]
    What do you mean by not to export?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    well, maybe I'm not quite understanding the way it works. but what I thought you meant was exporting/compliling the level from editor to game takes longer with lighting etc involved. Some editors let you exclude elements to be exported/compiled so you can have elements present in the level editor but not put into the game file.

basically I'm asking if theres a way you can put lights in but not have to use them every time you want to test the level
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a filter that you can use on terrain, lights, objects and such, but the lighting we're talking about can't be filtered out.
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlackThief polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    What about the shafts being barely visible and slanted in one direction?

Also, to understand why the more detailed lighting is about the last step, you need to understand the limitations of the engine on which this game was built. The level editor, DromEd's main process is "portalization". In this process, DromEd processes the level, and makes any changes made to the mission take place in the game world. The more complex the level, the longer portalization takes. By adding such lighting earlier in the construction of the mission, your making the portalization take much longer.

[/ QUOTE ]
    well there're still area-brushes you can work with, so you don't need to compile the whole level every time you want to go into game mode. And there're also 3 different lighting options, (I think it was something like "quick-light", "object cast light" and so on), so you don't always have to wait for the engine rendering the detailed shadows every time you want to test your level.
    I used to work quite a lot with DromEd a few years ago, it was my very first level editor.

I know a lot people work like you do, however I felt much more comfortable creating one room after the other with all the lighting and object details,AI, sounds,etc. This way it was much easier to test, whether the gameplay worked out like I wanted it to be. Using area brushes this was no problem at all, since you just have to compile the part of the level you're currently working with.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My workflow for building levels/environments is blocking everything out using primatives (mainly cubes and planes). By building it using primatives, you don't need to worry about textures and whether or not things look good. Once you have the rough layout of the level, export/compile/etc and play through.
    By doing that, you can get a good sense of scale of the level/environment, you can see what features work and what features don't and it takes nowhere near as long to have a playable level. Plus, if you can have fun in a level/environment made up entirely of blocks, you'll have just as much fun if not more once the entire thing is finished.
    I assumed you were leaving lighting til last due to export/compiling times, but like it was mentioned above there has to be an export/compile option in DromEd that will just bypass lights or do a quicklights export/compile. I've never used DromEd before, but I know that Hammer Editor has this feature. Not that it will help seeing as you're doing a Thief 2 map.

-caseyjones