Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Robot (Update)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
Hi, im currently working on my first normal mapped game character for my portfolio. The diffuse map is nearly finished. Next step will be the specular map.
C&C Welcome smile.gif

robot1.jpg
robot2.jpg
robot3.jpg

closeup1 closeup2 closeup3

wire

Replies

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I made a very basic rig to test if animation would work properly.

some crit would be nice

arobot1.jpg
    arobot2.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    i like him, but his textures are a bit plain, no variation in the green and stuff. maybe you should post some wires too.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    What does your 'bot do?

BTW an oil leak on it and maybe some scratched areas, along with a specular map could really make things pop on it. Maybe give him a knife and make him mean? (Don't mind me I like mean robots), something to tie him into the world arround him. Right now he looks like a character waiting for a purpose. Give him a purpose and I think he'll shine.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like a great start. I'd try to add some visual separation to the parts. Right now all that solid green makes for poor readability as a character. There are all kinds of directions you can go to make him more readable; just plain lighting changes (darken the limbs brighten the chest/head), add paint chipping and make it more interesting in the middle, dirt overlays that dull down the limbs, etc. I like the feel of him. I think as a final crit, his limbs could have used more thickness changes, they are too straight, which adds no visual interest.

poop.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Thx for your crits
    Im working on that
    but unfortunately i cant do a lot of scratches, chipping and dirt on it because the most parts of the texture are mirrored.

It should be a combat robot but i never planned to make a gun for him, so right now he can only do his martial arts tricks. wink.gif
    Maybe i will make a UT07 Playermodel with him when the game is released.

@Japhir
    you can find the wire in the first post, last link smile.gif
    wire
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirroring-schimmerring! You just need to be smart about where you put those scratches. You can take a few tiny polys out of the mirrored section and put them in their own UV space. As long as the edges match where they came from you shouldn't have too many issues. I can do a quick paint up if that was kind of confusing.

Lets see the texture flat maybe you have enough space to unwrap an entire piece.

Suggestions for texture detail:
    - Warning labels, stickers and care instructions for different pieces.
    - Access hatches
    - Tiny screws
    - Repair weld marks
    - Wear and scratches on pieces that get used a lot, such as feet/toes, hands/fingers, elbows, knees ect...
    - As Ben said color variation
    - You might want to do a Ambient Occlusion render to texture, nothing over the top but on objects with a lot of pieces and angles AO works wonders for believability. Either that or just fake AO by painting it.
    - Normal maps? Some of the gray wire mesh connecting pieces would benefit from a normal. It would also help some of the holes and pin joints stand out more. As well as any stickers or access panels you might paint on the texture.

Good stuff so far, I really like the mesh, nice and efficient. Work on the texture and you're in great shape =)

For some strange reason it reminds me of a robot version of the kub icon bear.gif
    /shrug
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I think i almost finished my Robot:

robot-xn1.jpg
    robot-xn2.jpg
    robot-xn3.jpg
    robot-xn4.jpg
    robot-xn5.jpg
    robot-xn6.jpg

Textures:
    Specular
    Diffuse
    Normal

C&C welcome

P.S. out-provided detached the arm

@ Vig
    Thx for your good suggestions
    I used your trick with takeing some polys in a own uv space for the plates smile.gif
    AO is already in the texture...but i increased it a little bit now.
    You couldnt see that there is a normal map in it? Maybe better now?
    The Normal map is projected from a high poly and i also painted a lot of normal stuff in the texture.
    Here is the high poly model:
    high

It should remind of a teddybear...a cute robot that kick ass wink.gif