Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Navy SEAL WIP crits wanted.

newman3d
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
newman3d polycounter lvl 17
Working on this character for my portfolio.
I am getting close to the end but would like some feedback.
I am thinking that I should revisit some of the wetsuits normal maps to break up the symmetry and add more definition to the suit details.

The suit, face, and inflatable vest were done in zbrush while most of the equipment normals were generated in Photoshop with the nvidia plug in. I have yet to start the suits diffuse and it’s using a max’s specular highlights instead of a spec map for now.

The poly count is high but I left the backfaces on the equipment and straps.

Thanks Matt.

more images
http://student.vfs.com/~mnewman/wip/

polys.gif
8.jpg

Replies

• dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    I think you have to many wrinkles on your wetsuit, wetsuits dont fold like that...this is reading more like a jump suit or a dry suit...and both are alot baggier. Also Im not sure what seam is on the front. most wetsuits zip from the back, and if they dont they are usually zipperless in which case they have an elastic type pull over...here is a few wetsuit links.

Also, the new splinter cell did a freaking amazing job with it, you should check that out.

keep it up though, its coming along.

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/pictures/...03_scotland.jpg

http://www.warrior-books.com/images/books/navy_seals/WET_SUIT_CRAWL.JPG
  • newman3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newman3d polycounter lvl 17
    dkorch Thanks for the feedback!
    I have splinter cell and it was what inspired me to create this! I would say the splinter cell suit is a completely fictional suit though. But the details in it are amazing.

I will get rid of the zipper on the front and change the wrinkles up on my second zbrush pass. Thanks for the ref
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    The only thing that sticks out for me on the wet suit is the wrinkles. The seal team wet suits are very different than most traditional wet suits for certain reasons. Flexibility, stress, wear, etc. The zippers on the suits I have seen first hand are indeed on the front. Reason for this is to be able to get in and out of them quickly. Now not ALL of the wet suits are alike. Some guys like different gear so go with what you like as your design.

Just something to think about.
  • TheArgyleKid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks pretty rad. The only thing I see is that with the amount of geometry you have I think you could definately give him a bit more form. Right now the mesh is looking a little on the smoothish side to me. Good work so far man.
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    good call jesse, your prolly right...give up some of the top secret ref I know you got laying around...no not iraqi's killing small children, or having butt sex...just the wetsuit ref=p

and newman. is your face texture just a lay in so far? if not it needs alot more color variation, and tone changes.

also, you can probably add a buttload more accesories to him to really make him look cool. I mean those guys carry alot of shit on their belts... anyways though, ill shut up now=p
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    your texture work is sexy, i like it. It feels like you have used alot more polys than necessary to achieve some of the shaps tho. Its deffenately not bad, but I think it would be a bit more interesting to pull some of the loops out of the figure and place them into some more accessories like guns, ammo, mayb one of those sweet underwater thingys with a propeller? just ideas =) overall I like it.