Home Technical Talk

Remember these days?

Remember back in the 90's when there were "polygonal" type games out such as Alone in the Dark and Virtua Fighter? I was wondering if there is a way to achieve a similar look ... basically the polygons showing and the cheap look of it all. Here's some pics to let you know what I'm talking about:

polygon1.jpg

polygon2.jpg

polygon3.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, you could just make a really low-poly model, and either apply fullbright (100% self-illuminated) textures or materials on a per-poly basis rather than uv-mapping the mesh "properly".
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    The guy behind me is playing Carmaggedon right now, just thought I'd add that :P

If you wanted that look, couldn't you just use completely hardened normals with flat colors instead of textures?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    are you kidding, i made a fps that looked like this back in 03

You can fake it nowadays by using a 32x32 texture that's just a bunch of color splotches, and map your polys to them
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Remember back in the 90's when there were "polygonal" type games

[/ QUOTE ]

Which makes games that are made now, what exactly, if not polygonal?

If you want a dated look a la Virtua racing, fighter etc, simply use flat shading instead of gourad and um, fewer polygons?

Sorry to sound cheeky, but your post made me chuckle. I dont think I've ever seen a 'how do I make my graphics look shit?' post before smile.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    TWINSEN ANYONE ???
  • Hobbes The Prince
    [ QUOTE ]

Sorry to sound cheeky, but your post made me chuckle. I dont think I've ever seen a 'how do I make my graphics look shit?' post before smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, yeah I know it's a really weird question ... I just miss the old look of those games ... they were so cheap looking lol. Stuff like Starfox and the old Virtua Fighter were so cool. I figured that nowadays it would take more effort to make it look shitty, rather than a half decent model hehe.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    there is a certain odd charm to them, I like how golfquestionmark has a sort of retro-but-updated look to it..
    kind of what iteration games do for the old pixel 2d games
    http://www.iterationgames.com/main.html
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    TWINSEN ANYONE ???

[/ QUOTE ]

As in Relentless aka Little Big Adventure?

If so, hell yeah. LBA is perhaps my favorite game of all time and looked awesome when it was released. You can grab a windows version of the game here : http://lbawin.akoonet.com/. You still need the original cd or find a download.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    skullbox , you simply rule.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    thanks guys for reminding me of it smile.gif Man I loved that game, I used to think games couldn't get any more open ended than that laugh.gif
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Haha holy crap, i think i have that one stashed somewhere laugh.gif.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think there is also some kind of splines involved, like on the girl's eyes - a spline or a polygon edge rendered as a colored 1pixel line no matter what. And maybe some sort of clever light faking? Like how the models seem at 100% self illumination, but still have darker faces. Maybe A simple test ala normal facing up or down gives a that harsh shaded result. I like the look of it also!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Haha! Back in those days, I steered away clear from polygonal games. I thought they looked horrible. I much, much prefered pixel art over this!

The first polygonal game I played was Quake 1, and even then I thought: Aaaargh, cube-for-a-head alert! Why didn't they just use higher resolution sprites? polytwitch.gif
    It wasn't until Quake 2 when I thought it finally started to look better than sprite art.

Back then, I would never have thought I would one day make lowpoly models myself. Evarrrr. crazy.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just turn off Anti-Aliasing and then play WoW when I get nostalgic. smirk.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Mmm, I have LBA and LBA2 at home... loved those games. Thanks for the link Skullbox!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh btw, what game is that very first screenshot from? It's named polygon1.jpg hence I can't guess :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that is alone in the dark, one of them started out in a toy shop I think. Or it was a game that came bundled with it...

EDIT: It was actually a freebie game called Jack in the Dark and came between Alone in the Dark 1 & 2. They later bundled it with Alone in The Dark, which is where I must have gotten it. I think I might still have it around somewhere...
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    damn where the hell is my Alone in the Dark bundle? need to reinstal those games =) the second was the best.

That Adventure Classic Gaming site remembered me well Estatica II : http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/gallery/image/252/ spheres made models? another one to search the damn CD
  • Hobbes The Prince
    Pior,

Yeah it was called Jack in the Dark. I downloaded it a while back, it's really odd the way some of the puzzles work in these games ... it's almost as if they really wanted you to look up a walkthrough. There'd be a puzzle like, "put the cork in the mousetrap, and use that combination with the door handle and it will open." And sadly it would work lol! Ahh, I still have Alone in the Dark 2 somewhere ... I think I'll play it again.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will have your babies for that link, Skullbox.

So, where are your babies? i must have them.
  • Hobbes The Prince
    Anyone here have any pics of models that have a similar look to the Alone in the Dark characters? I thought it would be funny if someone had any.
  • kukk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kukk polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    TWINSEN ANYONE ???

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean LBA?!

Awwww...
    And I have only played LBA2...

Virtua Fighter I...
    alone in the dark...
    Ecstatica...

Oh... old 3d games... miss you...
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    That style kinda reminds me of Interstate '76. Basically flatshaded models with hard edges and a mid-level spec applied to emphasise the facetted look. Used to run like shit on my P120 but I loved that game.
    Textures were used though, mainly for the environments and the vehicles.

interstate_76_003.gif
    rouse1.jpg

-caseyjones
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Gah, Interstate 76! That Game kicked ASS. I still have the sound track as MP3s
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hehe, I worked on the cinematics for I-76, in fact I animated that very scene. Had a lot of fun on that project. Marco Bertoldo was the lead, great animator.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    o_O EricChadwick now wins! Everything!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I was not a great animator, and I only did a couple scenes. I think I have some outtakes though, might be able to dig them up tonight.
  • Hobbes The Prince
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was not a great animator, and I only did a couple scenes. I think I have some outtakes though, might be able to dig them up tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did the whole process work back then to achieve that look?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Activision gave us their vehicle real-time models/textures, plus some storyboards and character sheets. We created the environments and character models in 3ds4 DOS (before it was in Windows, before 3ds Max).

Flat shading and mostly solid colors, anti-aliasing turned off IIRC. Pretty easy really. Animated and rendered in 3ds4. No Biped back then, no IK or vertex weighting either, it was all jointed-mesh FK. Ack! Anyhow, was supposed to look like real-time.

No mouths by design, to keep animation costs low (uh, for that special look and feel, yeah).

We shot some of the scenes with co-workers on a Hi-8 cam for motion reference. Might have that at home. smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    That's awesome eric! Loved that game.

'the whole process' hobbes? You're over thinking this. It's simply flat shading.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    oh man i76 was really cool

good old 3ds DOS, the one thing I kept from using it in the past, is the "selection color" (very bright blue), couldnt stand the "white" selection in 3dsmax. But back then "animation->make preview" really made sense, due to lack of viewport rendering speed. Though I used 3ds2 for quite some time, the great thing was that .3ds was still backward compatible, so all the nice starwars models found on the web would still work, just needed to clean up textures to 8.3 filenames, oh and no self-illumination textures I think. anyway enough nostalgia.

it's funny how some now think it needs special setup (well it would probably need more now), when the "lack of features" just came with it wink.gif
  • Hobbes The Prince
    It's really cool that there was someone who actually worked on this stuff from back in the day. I like the whole idea of using your co-workers for motion reference, back then it was pretty innovative stuff.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Heheh, coworker Aubrey Ankrum acting out Taurus' line "No Groove..." something something.
    i76trailerNoGroove.jpg

Ooooh lovely.
    i76trailer0122.jpg

Thought I had Groove peeing in an outtake, nope.

I think one of the reasons I76 was so memorable was not just the 70's vibe but that the characters were so featureless, people just filled in all the blanks with their rich imagination.
  • Hobbes The Prince
    LOL that's hilarious
  • Hobbes The Prince
    [ QUOTE ]
    Flat shading and mostly solid colors, anti-aliasing turned off IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, what does IIRC stand for?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i recall correctly.

Actually, pretend you didn't read that, and go look on google.
    I'll give you this: it's not 'Interactive Illinois Report Card'.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with the previous poster who stated that eric now win. everything.

Was one of my favorite games back in the days.

Not up there with LBA tho. One of my favorite games of all time! The sequel was good too, but there was something about that first one, when it came out i had the best gaming experience of my life, and i still havent found anything topping that. The game was so fun and SOOO unforgiving at times! I mean, running into walls and you'll take damage? It makes perfect sense in real life, and it makes you pay a little extra attention while running in the game. Its also a way around that stupid "running on an invisible threadmill facing the wall" problem that is infesting games both old and new. Anyone rememer that part in the desert temple where that spiky rolling thing dropped from the roof and you had to outrun it over those holes and stuff? That part is burned in my memory as one of the most frustrating gaming moments ever. Actually, i think my top 10 frustrating game moments are from those games. laugh.gif And i'm loving it. And the music! Don't get me started on the music! Oh dear, its fucking awesome!

Haha, my band even made a cover of the ferryman song, complete with the out of tune last note. :P