Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alley Scene

Here is an alley scene I am working on. I started a week ago. The setting is supposed to be in New York City. alleysite1-1.jpgalleysite2-1.jpg Any crits would be much appreciated.

Replies

• verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    The bottom level of the fire escape SHOULD NOT be lowered. That's a robbery in progress.

More dirt of course (especially old newspapers and fast food cartons). You can never have too much dirt. Is this a modular setting where dirt and lighting would be added separately?

By and large it looks pretty good for what it is, but it's hard to critique without knowing what requirements it's built under. The parking area looks good, even close up, I havn't noticed anything nasty like texture seams. It looks like it could be a place, though there only looks like there's a diffuse layer and 100% ambient all over.

What are your texture and poly limits?
  • captaincanuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no real limits other than it is supposed to fit in a MMORPG. Good one on the fire escape and garbage. I will fix that and psot the update tomorrow.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    graffiti, street objects (benches, light posts, fire hydrants newspaper stands, etc.) Basically you need some life in this place. ATM it might work well for a very desolate industrial area. That may be what you're going for, but it would be better to add those little touches to it.
  • captaincanuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update. Tell me what you guys think:
    alleyrender3-1.jpgalleyrender2-1.jpgalleyrender-1.jpg
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad.
    The scene is missing the shadows.
    Make the textures more various - I mean , it needs some dirt and some part of them You can desaturate, maybe somme graffiti on the wall and rubbish ,oil on the road , broken bottle ... CAUSE IT' STILL TOO CLEAN wink.gif.
  • conman44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it but I saw the front tires on the truck are messed up. I have never seen a truck with 4 front tires but still a nice scene just needs some dirtying up
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    It's getting better. Your lighting is pretty boring. Honestly, I wouldn't call this an Alley, it feels way too open & spacious to be an alley.

I would love to see a wireframe of the truck, because I can't for the life of me figure out how you used up 4500 triangles in that thing. . . It looks like it shouldn't be more than 1500.

Keep going, add more dirt. Keep in mind that dirt isn't just an even coating on everything, it likes corners, nooks & crannies, etc.
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks nice, it kind of reminds me of postman pat but I think its just because it looks so clean at the moment and I guess that would change once you dirty it up a bit
  • captaincanuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks alot for the crits guys, I realize the lighting needs alot of work, I still have much to learn about lighting.

As for the dirt suggestions, would you say to make a seperate dirty brick texture for the bottom or just a dirt alpha to place over top.

Also, here is the wireframe for the truck. I think pretty much 90% of the poly usage is in the tires. If anyones got some tips on how to slim down the polycount on these, that would be rad:

truckwire-1.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looking good!
    you might let the texture devide the tires in stead of the actual polys. the rims could be shown by the texture also.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, for the tires, make it just a plan cilinder and add detail with the diffuse map. There are also some scale issues i think, the truck looks too big for the scene or something.
  • Fjornsvavne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
    I'd say the container and especially the truck takes away from the overall quality, besides what's been said.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Can you also post wireframe of the entire scene? If it's 12k tris with or without truck (it almost doesn't matter), it seems like you have a ton of wasted polies there too, since your scene is mostly composed of boxy shapes, so I can't fathom where all those polygons went.

An occlusion pass would help a great deal to ground the scene and add some depth. Right now it looks very flat and as if everything's floating about, and I'm not sure if lighting will help much with it. This will depend on your constraints, of course, so if you're just tiling the textures it might not work, unless you are aiming for engine that supports multiple UV sets and additional passes beside diffuse. Otherwise, you could just add some occlusion to your color map (or as much as tiling allows, e.g. darken the bottom of the walls that tile only horizontally).

I agree with scale issues. Truck is way too large, and the dumpster as well - its lid if opened would hit the fire escape stairs and is almost as tall as a door. And also in the second image from your first post, look at the doors on the buildings on the left and compare the size to the blue door - the blue door seems very tiny compared to those doors. I'd suggest making a dummy human model or importing an existing one and scale it appropriately, then using it as a measure for everything in your scene. That way you'll know if doors, windows and objects are too large or too small, especially if you haven't established a unit system or use real world units.