Home Technical Talk

Polycrunch equivalent for Maya 7?

cyi
cyi
polygon
Offline / Send Message
cyi polygon
I'm looking for a plugin or program that will achieve the same effect of the polycrunch tool for 3dsmax. I would like to import my high poly mudbox models into maya in order to construct the low poly mesh for normal mapped characters, etc. Also, if anyone can point me in the direction or describe an effective workflow for constructing normal mapped characters w/ maya+mudbox I would be very interested. I've made normal mapped models before but I think my current work flow stinks. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What kind of polycount is maya choking on for you? I've got some pretty damn dense models out of Zbrush and into maya.
  • cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    Honestly, I haven't really tried...the most complex model I have worked on in maya was around 300k, but it chugged. I guess I will just try and see what happens. Thanks!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Why don't you just import a lower subdiv level of your Mudbox meshes for basing the model around? Manually collapsing/adding edge loops should be easy from that, and all the main shapes will be there.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry to bump this one back, but I'm also curious if there is such a plugin (highend3d didn't seem to have anything that did it).

I have terrain I modelled, but I was asked to flatten a lot of parts because the programmers were having issues with gravity working - so now I have an excessive amount of triangles to cleanup (quadrangulating in Maya does nothing so getting loops and rings seems impossible).

Edit - looks like I found something: http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/plugins/polygon/screen.php?id=2852 - doesn't seem to work with 7 or above frown.gif

Edit - Ok I found it. Apparently it's built into Maya and can be found under Polygons - Reduce, and works pretty well. I guess this is why plugins for it seemed hard to find.