Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Truckstop Bathroom

Flewda
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Flewda polycounter lvl 17
Hey All,

I've visited this forum for a while, admiring the amazing work people post. Now it's time for me to post some of my own WIPs. I've been quite frustrated with this one for a while, and thought it's time I stop thinking "It looks stupid, I don't want to post it" and to just do it so that I can get some good critiques on it. This scene in particular I feel is probably about 25-30% finished. It has quite a way to go, but I am wanting to get some feed back on it early. Mostly what I am trying to do is establish the lighting early on, and texture the rest based ont he lighting. I am going for a nasty mood, a bathroom that hasn't seen a janitor in years! So this post is mostly for any suggestions for lighting right now. Currently it's using 2 omnis (one is a little dimmer than the other to represent it burning out) and it's using Mental Ray with Global Illumination. It's kinda grainy, and I don't know what happened there, must have been a setting I messed with before these renders. Anyway, critique the hell out of it please (with what little is there) :-P Keep in mind that most of the props are place holder for now (with the exception of the stalls and the towel dispenser, but they will probably change over time too).

truckstop_restroom2.jpgtruckstop_restroom1.jpg

Replies

• thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thefatladysings polycounter lvl 17
    it needs more poop on the walls laugh.gif
    it looks nice but I think the front of the toiletdoor could use some graffiti too.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, actually was going to do that as part of the "grunge pass" because the two stall doors use the same UV space. And although you can't see the second door, you may in the future. So I was going to use a floating poly on the door to give it some uniqueness, while still using the same texture as the other.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    its nice so far!

I think you could benefit by making the sinks less dirty (a bit unbelievable so far) and making the floor MORE dirty. also, I think the lighting could benefit from heightened contrast and possibly increased saturation.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    i'm not sure i understand the ghostbuster image. is that supposed to be a poster?

also, on the back wall where you have that big peeling decal, it doesnt make a lot of sense. its like a peeling paint/chipped drywall going across a bunch of painted cinder blocks. they just dont weather that way.

edit: wow 3 people posted the exact same time.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum - The ghostbuster image was for fun mostly. I actually did get that off an image, and it was all done in spraypaint/grafitti. It doesn't really fit though, so yeah that will be going away.

Good point about the chipping. I was trying to make it noticeable that it was weathering there, so I didn't even really notice that it wasn't accurate. Will change that too.

Noritsune - Thanks. The sinks will be redone in the prop pass. They are definitely not up to the par I want them to be. I did those a little while ago when I first started the scene. I am just now coming back to the scene, and realized that a lot of overhaul needs to happen on it. Yeah, the lighting definitely needs work!

I appreciate your quick responses smile.gif I'll continue to post updates! And look forward to keep reading your critiques/suggestions.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Some things you want to state to us & establish for yourself up front:

Is this for realtime or pre-rendered?
    If realtime, Global Illumination isnt really the norm unless your engine renders it onto a seperate 100% unique UV space.
    If realtime, some of those items are maybe a wee bit too polygon heavy. The Sinks, the drain pipes, the ceiling lights. A little poly dense for realtime, while other items could do with MORE density.

Showing your texture flats could be helpful. As it stands, they look like you've textured almost everything as 100 % unique anyway...which is more often used for pre-rendered stuff. Unless you've used lots of decals, in which case your probably ok.

Your scale seems a tad bit off as well. Those are some SHORT bathroom stalls. They should be a bit taller IMO. Try to use a measurment system in your 3d package and make all your items of a realistic scale relative to one another.

Lastly, Id say download & play the demo of Prey by HumanHead/3DRealms, if you haven't already, for inspiration as it starts off in a very well made dirty truckstop bathroom using "next-gen" assets to great effect.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Good start.

I agree with noritsune. The floor could use some toilet paper and little bits of paper all around while the sinks could do with less blood.

Soap Dispensers? I don't know of any public bathrooms that have bars of soap to wash your hands with.

I'd reconsider the smashed mirror. I think a radial or more random break would look better. Or get rid of more of the pieces. Or both (boobie warning~! D:). Right now the cracks look too uniform.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is realtime...And I don't want to be using Global Illumination, but I suck at lighting :-P and it makes it faster to light (although not to render).

The scene is less than 10,000 triangles right now, that's not too terrible for a scene...Frankly anymore, that's on the low end of things.

The only unique textures are (or will be) on props. The sink, stalls, etc. have unwrapped UVs. Everything else is tiling and will use decals.

As I mentioned, most of the geometry is still very early in, so things that look to have too few polygons, probably do :-P still have a lot of work on it! That goes for the grunge pass. There will be grafitti, litter/trash, all kinds of little props all over the place.

Yeah, I think you are right about the scale. I ended up rebuilding the room itself (walls/floor etc) and I made it slightly bigger, but didn't adjust the stalls. Good point.

Spacey - Good suggestion with the mirror. I was thinking the same, but haven't had time to get back to it yet (that was very early on)

I appreciate your comments!
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Truckstop bathrooms are by and large clean. That would pass as a bathroom for a bus stop or perhaps a dive. I've been in quite a few truckstops however while driving across country, and every one was while not immaculate, they did appear to be used by adults not teenagers.

Other than that it looks great (except for perhaps the out of context things mentioned.)
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while, but here it is. It's finished (for now). I can think of some things I would have liked to do more with it, but calling it done and setting it aside for the time. Comments/Crits still welcome though.

bathroom_1.jpg
    bathroom_2.jpg

bathroom_3.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This turned out really nice. I would have added a Glory Hole myself but thats just because I've been talking to EarthQuake for far too long.

The only other thing I would have done is faked a cube map for reflections on all things metal/porcelain (sinks, stall walls, mirror frame, hand dryer, soap dispensers, bucket, etc.)

Otherwise, good job. Don't take so long next wink.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    adam - the trash can is just in the correct hight, i think.

what bothers me is the specularity of things. for a dirty joint, it sure has some shiny walls and grate and floor tiles and sinks... pipes... etc. more matte seems more appropriate. maybe dim out the light source a little too, as dust accumulates on it.

really loved the art in ur website, extremely well done. yea, post the flats, bet they look spliffy
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    The sinks look way too big to me, but otherwise it has a great and realistic atmosphere.
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty nice.
    Maybe a bit love for speculars? I love the sinks. freaking awesome. ANd the reflection on the floor. But toilets need a bit more work, especially this bottom part that going between legs... need to be a bit shorter.
    WTH mattrace is doing in the toilet?? O_o
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! Only crit I have is how does the ceiling area above the tiles (With the pipes) get light, shouldn't the only light source be from the room itself?
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys. I am actually going to do one more revision to it before I call it "finished" for good. Because of all the awesome feedback I am getting. A lot of the scene is actually reflecting the world, so I don't need a cube map. However it isn't as apparent as I thought some of it would be in the final render. I'll be tweaking with that a bit.

odium - oddly enough, there are no lights above the ceiling. I only used lights where there was a source, and used GI, and it had that happen. I am going to tweak with the lights more in the next update. Will try to avoid the pipes being so well lit (I want them to be lit well enough to know what they are, but not really see the detail.)

Thanks for the comments guys, will definitely use these.