Home General Discussion

IM stuck

snake85027
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snake85027 polycounter lvl 18

Im stuck right now. I am no concept artist by any means or even a 2d artist so I use other peoples concepts to go by but because of the lack of good 2d skills I believe its hurting my textures. I want to be a 3d modeller but I know the only way I will get into games is if I become a better texture artist.

So Im just asking for advice. Should I start getting better with texturing by comming up with my own concepts or keep on using concepts from game companies?

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I don't think it matters where you get your concepts as long as you keep making models and textures
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    find concepts, or

learn2paint

there are many ideas I want to create in 3d, but the whole project suffers if I don't have a nice concept to work from. so I'm taking the time to focus on 2D more to improve the quality of my 3D. it's good to know if the project will fail before you spend too much time deleting polygons. i will say that learning to paint in traditional styles while improve your ability to paint textures. I mean...it's painting...duh. If you're just starting out, don't try for ultra realism. It's just a waste of effort. Start simple and work your way into more detail. Learn colors and light.

learn be too worried about what companies are looking for. just do your best.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    what's wrong with real world references for models? Tons of great scenes out there waiting to be modelled.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I assume he's referring to character modeling.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry, I was directing that to the OP~
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just texturing in general, www.dwbailey.com is my site
    when i look through companies that are hiring i see alot of them saying " a strong 2d background is a plus " I went to the art inst of phoenix and focused most of my time in modeling instead of the 2d aspect, i just dont know if my ability to make objects from concept to 3d , will give me a better chance than what i have been doing which is taking other peoples concepts and translatting that to 3d and maybe which direction would help me become a better texture artist within a faster time frame.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Usually when they say '2D background' they actually really simply mean 'traditional'. They dont mean concept Art necessarily. More drawing, painting, sculpture etc. Strong traditional Art skill. And yes, putting some commitment into that would definitely improve your skill all round as a computer graphic artist.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    why not give up? there might be a better job out there for you that provides more satisfaction and uses your skill-set.

I am serious
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    your textures aren't that bad man. Just keep practicing everyday. Im never in love with own work but Ill just keep practicing. Also have you tried using a wacom. I only asked because it helps alot with the 2D stuff.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice funny stuff right there, i love using max and photoshop, i just know that my textures arent up to the level where i need to be. Just asking for advice from you all on how the best way to get it there. I don't want any pity here.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    nice funny stuff right there, i love using max and photoshop, i just know that my textures arent up to the level where i need to be. Just asking for advice from you all on how the best way to get it there. I don't want any pity here.

[/ QUOTE ]
    one question, is that first model on your site for a game? if so then why is it over 7,000 tris?
    other than that, i would say your texturing is good, only thing to do now is more practice.