Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animator in a world of Modlers

<font color="green">
howdy gang!
I'm a long time fan of the forums and have finally put together something for everyone else to look at too.
Check it out at -
http://www.mattlefferts.com/DemoReel.html
</font>

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to Polycount!

Good to see some more animators infiltrating our ranks.
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice stuff! i especially like the camera moves on the character portion of your reel. If you update it for any reason, might i suggest you render out against a different color background? black makes it hard to check the silhouette on some parts. Welcome to polycount!
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks, that's something was kinda mulling over doing.

this rocks though, not more than a couple hours old and I have responses.

it's what I love about this place, great feedback.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Good looking stuff.

Just one comment (actually, kind of for my own benefit as well), but is it not best to pick a specialty and try to get a job with it for your reel? You're trying to sell yourself as an animator, modeler, and game designer (though I didn't see anything for game design other than you naming yourself a game designer). I've always been told I should pick one specialty and stay with it. In this case say, there's not enough modeling to get you a modeling job, so it just takes up time in the reel.

Am I misinformed on this, or is this for the most part true?
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    Good looking stuff.

Just one comment (actually, kind of for my own benefit as well), but is it not best to pick a specialty and try to get a job with it for your reel? You're trying to sell yourself as an animator, modeler, and game designer (though I didn't see anything for game design). I've always been told I should pick one specialty and stay with it. (In this case say, there's not enough modeling to get you a modeling job, so it just takes up time in the reel.)

Am I misinformed on this, or is this for the most part true?

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats what i've been told too. if you're applying for a job i heard its best to completly focus your demo reel toward that subject... why would they want to see your animating skills if you're applying for an environmetal artist. although i would also like to hear others thoughts about this.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thats true of bigger companies but somewhere smaller, multiple talents can be a plus worth showing off
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My showreel only shows animation - using general bipeds or game models from companies Ive been employed at, if I was looking at a reel of a potential employee then showing they can do other things is nice - but the actual animation is the only important part really
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Some crits if you want em:

The beginning splash with your name and contact info can be shorter. Go ahead and make that email address a big larger too.

The first shot with the spinning kick, it looks like the blue guy is a little too slow in his aerial spin. It should be more snappy, maybe put more emphasis on his anticipation before the jump. At the height of his kick, extend his right arm for a more dynamic pose. Right now the kick looks a little stiff and powerless.

The second shot - this one is strange. After the guy gets hit in head and starts getting up, he looks really strange with that blank facial expression. He should at least be blinking since he just got hit in the head. Maybe some anticipation befoe he gets hit would be nice - like he sees the object coming at him and he panics. When he gets up, he should be leading with his head. I don't know if you are going for some robotic, Frankenstein type character, but having his head swivel in last doesn't look right to me.

Third shot - the guy's leap over to the other guy looks odd, but you cut away too fast for me to really figure out why. This could be a cool shot if you added a little more fighting to it. It's over before I could get interested in it.

Shots with the dog - Pretty nice. Maybe give the dog a little more quickness and bounce. This is your best stuff, IMO.

The shots with old man are nice. I don't know if you should cut back and forth between the dog stuff and this guy. At least keep the old man stuff together, because he's kinda strange and cool and I'd like to focus on his movements instead of being distracted by cuts. His punching movements are weak, more follow through would sell them better, especially after the second punch.

The silo isn't very interesting, animation wise. I'd leave this off your reel.

The model at the end - it's an interesting way to show off a model, but I feel still images with wires and such would be better.

Another thing, your may want to change your music choice. Lyrics on a demo reel are a no no because when interested employers watch your reel, they might watch it muliple times, and hearing the same lyrics over and over is distracting. I muted your reel while evaluating it.

It's a solid reel overall but I think you're missing 2 to 3 extra shots to really sell your skills. Hope that helps.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    When I started watching the reel, the first thing I thought was the intro splash was too long (as FunkaDelicDass mentioned). From your first post I gathered it was an animation reel and I got that for the first half of the reel. I got confused during the second half. The silo didn't make sense, its a nice looking model but the animation was just up and down. The model at the end looks nice, but a simple turnaround with wires would have been sufficent and maybe a focus or two on key areas you want to show off.
    Great stuff all the same and good luck when applying for jobs.

-caseyjones
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 17
    over all i thought it was clean, lots of quick motions which is great for games. The dog i think can go out all together, the motion is very robotic on it and has little life to it. The old man clips himself in one or two spots, clean that up. The way you keep going back to him makes me think there is going to be some big payoff movement at the end, and then he just kind of drops his arms. Maybe add some sort of movement uncharacteristic of someone of that age, or at least something funny. The guy falling in the begining, clips the ground a lot, other than that he wasnt that bad. The last thing, since you are an animator, i would at least pose the end model or put it in an idle animation.

like i said, looks really clean, just a couple of spots i would pretty up a bit.

keep it up
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WoW man this is so great, thanks guys!

The tips and thoughts have been so excellent, lots of things I hadn't thought of and all. I'm takin them to heart.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    hey man~ nice work smile.gif love your stuff~~
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More animators yay! laugh.gif

Some crits/comments:

Shot1:
    Blue guy has a few timing issues as someone else mentioned, he is a bit slow in the air which is fine for a cartoony character but it looks like you are trying for realism with this shot. When his foot connects there isnt much of an impact as his leg is very extended on the actual contact and the body is already quite far over, you could exaggerate this a lot to make it look really powerful and still have it looking realistic. When he steps down his leg is very bent at the moment which takes away from the weight of the animation, maybe have him kick, pull back and then step down.

Shot2:
    Impact and landing look ok for a cartoony character but the getting up is a bit weird, there is no much movement where there doesnt need to be - try getting some reference for this if you can, if you sit down and stand up you would always be facing forwards as there is little reason to actually turn right around, as someone else mentioned the head turning is a little jarring at the end as well smile.gif

Shot3:
    As this is a silhouette (spelling?) the poses need to be really strong as they are the main focus, some of these could be made a lot stronger by exaggerating more, and the weight isnt coming across very well. For instance before the jump the back leg comes off the floor before the bodies weight has shifted - in reality the guy would fall on his ass so you could shift the weight over first, have it move over and down so he can really spring off into a nice pose

Shot4:
    Yeah doggy is easily the best on the reel at the moment and shows some real character, good stuff smile.gif

The section with the guy walking away could use some better timing as the guys legs/feet look quite floaty at the moment and could use some extra weight

Shot5:
    Some kind of idle? This really isnt up to the quality of the rest so I would remove this
    Red guy is waaaay too busy looking at the moment so he doesnt read very well, there is so much extra movement going on. I would go back and clean him up a bit, delete all the keys you dont need and try to be a bit more subtle with the movement - the impact on him is nice though

Silo:
    I'd remove this as the reel seems mainly focuses as a character animation reel, you want your work to show off a) weight b) timing c) strong poses, and the silo doesnt show any of those so scrap it! smile.gif

Amazon:
    This seems quite out of place on an animation reel so I would remove it from there. If you really want to show off your modelling skills as well, I would make a seperate reel to show the modelling and send that along as well.

Hope the crits help, I'm not trying to be harsh - just giving a few pointers.

As a general rule of thumb people put their best work first on the reel - if a potential employer is looking and has a million different reels to look at the first impression means everything, so I would shift it around a bit and put the dog first, then the kick, then the silhouette / stand up.

Also you should mention on the actual reel itself at the end which models were yours and which are premade rigs as some people may get a link to just the .mov file and wont see the info you have on the page.

I think you could use a few more pieces to really make the reel pop, some kind of demonstration of lipsync would be nice - best example of your talent would be some acting with a character to dialogue and this will really sell your reel

Oh and congratulations on not having a techno pumping soundtrack on there - that bugs the hell out of me with reels wink.gif
    - good luck! smile.gif
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooops sorry that ended up being a much bigger post than I intended - my apologies, and sorry if I sound overly negative - its a good reel but I think with a little more polish you could really make it special crazy.gif
  • MRFlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRFlynn polycounter lvl 18
    Brilliant stuff thurban, im just like you :P preparing somehing soon for release heh.
    Anyways love your reel, but one thing that really sticks out is the 2nd shot of the blue guy being hit by a ball, its fine up until he gets back up and does that really awkward turn.
    Mebe try start the motion from the hips instead? wink.gif
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Sup Roomie! Just came to approve of your first PC post =)
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <font color="red">
    Frettchen thanks for all the pointers man, I have been hearing overall the same stuff from other people posting so that is a good sign that I'm on the right track and now know what to improve. The impression that I'm getting is that it's just about there, which is good, gives me hope wink.gif
    I'm going to work on these and repost them as they progress.
    I have gotten alot out of the comments from everybody. Thanks gang. smile.gif
    </font>
  • Thurban