Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

very old orc model

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Japhir polycounter lvl 16
i'm reworking a very old orc model i did when i was still using milkshape 3d and i've reworked it and adjusted the uv's a bit. it is still very low poly. might add some more polys to it.
orcwipsx8.jpgorcwipht2.jpg
orcwipga6.jpg
i'd like to have some comments and crits, especially on the uv mapping becouse i'm currently working on that.

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Not a bad model, in fact he could be quite interesting with a good texture on him. I think your UVs should have more mirroring than they do currently.

poop.gif
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks a lot! oh and by the way i love your video tutorials poop, specially the ones with the funge model!
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skizot polycounter lvl 18
    i think a good normal map would make him look pretty good.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't know much about normal maps and i don't have a special program for it, i know maya can handle it too but still gotta learn that.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey i reworked my uv's but now i'm still wasting lots of space... this is how they are atm. any tips/hints?
    orcuvjn1.jpg
    c&c's on the uvs are most welcome!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i didn't like the seam on the side of the head so i dicided to mirror the head entirely. orcuvkh9.jpg
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Whats the back look like?

If you're going for something other than a 100% self-illuminated texture, I'd do something with the smoothing on the model. It will help the light to pop the hard edges.

He's got this nice edge flow in the eyes that just stops after the nose. Any reason for this? If the mouth is going to animate, I'd think you'd want the upper mouth to have some loops too.

The shoulder pads could have probably been modeled seperate from the model. That way you can get better edge flow all along that shoulder area.

It's hard to tell if the UVs are good or bad without some kind of checker texture on the model to show pixel density and stretching.

Overall though, he's looking good. The shoulders and mouth area what I'd be concerned with if he's going to be animated. Looking forward to the texture.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot, i'll work on that soon!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wanted to make normal shoulders on this, but when i hid the shoulder plates and then saved and opened, there was "no objects to unhide" so i'll have to redo those, but here's where i'm at now:
    orcwipvh5.jpg
    orcwipne6.jpgorcwipkq9.jpg
    and here it is with a checker:
    orcwiptf2.jpg
    i had to adjust the uvmapping since he's got no shoulder plates anymore so it looks a bit diffrent from the ones above.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey i am picking this one up again, just added a very simple axe to him and going to add some armour too, but i have a problem:
    i still had a high poly version of the orc (subdevided one which i used to learn baking normal maps) hidden somewhere in this scene and now i'm trying to delete it, but if i delete it the uv's on my lowpoly model are totally messed up. confused.gif (ow and i don't know if it matters but if i select the low poly in wireframe view it shows regular green wires and the high-poly has dark blue wires (which i believe is normal), and if i select the highpoly it shows the same green, but the low-poly shows purple wires then...)
    so any idea how to delete the high poly and keep the uv's for my low-poly?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

i still had a high poly version of the orc (subdevided one which i used to learn baking normal maps) hidden somewhere in this scene and now i'm trying to delete it, but if i delete it the uv's on my lowpoly model are totally messed up. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty strange. Are they instances of each other or in some other way linked? Sounds like your best bet is to duplicate your low poly making sure you're not instancing, go forward with the new one and delete the rest. Better still export your low poly into a clean scene.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tried exporting only the selected bits already but then it just exported the high poly too (sneaky thing). I didn't try duplicating it yet. and no they're not instances of eachother, i actually made my low poly have shorter arms and a new axe and that didn't happen to the high-poly so... and i don't know anything about other linking ways.. i did try to render a normal map (that went pretty bad too, but that's becouse the high-poly wasn't altered that mutch)
    well thanks again!
    i'll try duplicating next. thanks!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh yes! duplicating worked! now i can go on to adjusting the uv's just a bit more, re adding his shoulder plates (better ones now) and texturing!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've been working on his textures, just really basic, but here's a wip. i still tend to just make higher parts lighter than lower parts and make it look bad... gotta learn a lot!
    (turned off the default lightning to make it easier to see)
    orcwipnolightsly9.jpgorcwipwirevl5.jpg
    even when in it early stages c&c's welcome!