Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Starting the new year off the right way

War_Destroyer
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
Or just finishing up something I started last year, It's about 90% done, hopefully this weekend I can clean up the last few bits of this. I started this almost 2 months ago for CG chat's 36 comp, the supervillian one. Any crits are more than welcome though I am aware of the seams and the unfinished bits like the fingers and the items on his shoulders.
_comp36_supervillian_01.jpg
_comp36_supervillian_02.jpg
_comp36_supervillian_03.jpg
_comp36_supervillian_04.jpg

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cool texture style! only two things jump out at me, some shadow on the edges of his face would be cool, and his thumb and inner hand look a bit odd to me smile.gif
    nice work!
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Totally agree with Rooster!
    Whats the story for this guy?
    Your textures look a lot like Blizzard's ditos.
  • Psionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psionic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm liking the muscle definition and face but some of the other areas seem to undefined? nice job so far tho!!
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Nice coloring on the arms. The entire texture needs some highlights. You've got some good shadows in there but aren't any lighter spots to show that there's is light that would cause those shadows. Everything looks very smooth too, could use some texture to break it up a bit.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I really like your color pallette, but the shadows aren't quite working the way I think they could. You are using the same dark color for all the shadows per material. Try using several shades of shadow. One for slight shadows, and one for deep. I think it would really increase the realism of your volumes. That said, this looks really nice.

Say hello to Andy Lomerson for me, he gave me a tour of the VV offices on my way up to Montreal, and I really liked the setup you guys have up there, it's really awesome. Which team are you on, or are you allowed to say?

poop.gif
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx for the crits, it's always good to get another set of eyes on a piece of work. I was sick Sat. so I didn't get to put any time into like I had planned, so Sunday I'm gonna put as much effort in to finishing this up. Poop,I'll make sure to say what's up to Andy for ya's
  • kongni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kongni polycounter lvl 17
    Hey War_Destroyer, building off of what poop said, you're definitely using the same values for your shadows uniformly throughout your texture. Also, if you bring your image into Photoshop and desaturate it, you will see that you are missing lighter values throughout your model.
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm gonna hit this with another lighting pass today. That element seems to be a cruch of mine that needs to be worked on. Alot of my paint and texture work suffers from that very same problem.
  • War_Destroyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't get much of a chance to work on this this weekend but I did add some brighter values to the blue and gave the darkest
    values some red (maybe a little too much). This still needs to be cleaned up and details need to be sharpened but I wanted to make sure I was headed on the right path.
    _comp36_supervillian_05.jpg

_comp36_supervillian_06.jpg