Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Snowboarding

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
snow6t.jpg
Original size

Snowboarder guy to get me in the winter spirit. Though my two snowboarding trips this year were already cancelled due to lack of snow frown.gif

He's a bit under 5k polys

wires

I'm rather happy with how it turned out. I ran into some problems with getting the hair to look proper and I'm not completely happy with it.
And I never got around to modeling the bindings for the board.

Replies

• mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gorgious mesh work, specially on the face. Im seeing that style of body topology a lot these days when dealing with zb/mb.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Good mesh. Just some minor tweaks to recommend. Take some polies out of his face and give him another elbow loop (or two). The distance between his nose and mouth is too great, maybe bump the mouth up a bit and the nose down. Crotch is way too wide. Pull the rim of his hat in so it looks like it has some elastic in it that's holding it on his head.

Good subject choice... I'm spending this winter working up at a local ski mountain as a lift operator. I hope you can get up to ride soon, I heard about the snow shortage south of washington. Come on up here man, we've got plenty to go around.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    cool, I like it, and i'm dissapointed with the lack of snow too man
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 17
    I just arrived from snowboarding today, we got some new powder in the last 2 days. mmmhh tongue.gif we finally got it
    The model (as a whole) turned out very good, if you want to go for some tweaking stuff then here are some suggestions:

boardshape:
    boardshapewi9.gif

+the pose looks like one of those first burton snowboard pictures in there advertisements(especially the pose on the right) or a bit like a shy boarder. You would need to get the leaning forward away, dont let the knees come more forward than the feets (seen from the board). also the grab seems to be a bit loosen (just like touching the board) try to make it like he wants to pull it upward.
    or just leave the pose like it is and get his right feet of the board so that he makes a indy-onefoot.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Turned out nice buddy. I think my only real crit is the normal map for the face. It's too soft and doesn't provide convincing details. There should be a few sharp changes in direction at least somewhere on the face. Not totally sure where the sharpness should go, but it's reading as too baby soft with no creases at the moment, which hurts it's believability as a face.

poop.gif
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    mvelasquez - Thanks for the good words.

Ferg - Thanks for the crits, and especially the mouth-nose distance. There was something about the mouth that bugs me, maybe that will fix it up.

EricElwell - Thanks, and I hear there is snow coming this weekend (hopefully)

xysdf - Good pointers. I tried to get the shape as close as possible and in the process completely neglected the bend in the middle of the board. As for the pose, you are right on the loose grab. I never claimed to be good at riding and apparently it shows through in my model =)

Poop - I agree on the facial details. I stayed a bit too far on the safe side and didn't push any one feature too far from the average. I will sharpen up some of the details and try to get some more life into the face.