Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

warhammer tomb, finally finished this.

snake85027
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
I have been working on this for a few weeks. Hope you all enjoy.
shotONE.jpg
SIDE.jpg
TOP.jpgFUNSHOT.jpgEVERYTHING.jpgCAT_sep_2006_05.jpg

Replies

• Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Post the concept please.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, your name is one letter off from my last name (Baily/Briley) heh, just thought that was funny. Snake, there are quite a few things that you could do to improve your uv layout, 1: would be to not seperate most of your connecting pieces, it becomes a pain to make them look natural. 2: You can also mirror a few pieces such as the grey section next to the book, the piece underneath the winged hammer and use that space to maybe enlarge the beard, as in your piece where the beard ends into the feet tends to reduce in pixtel density and makes the deep lines in the stone(beard) all the more noticiable. On your texture sheet you might want to keep the side of the tomb in one piece, with the top and side connected, but only do 1/4 of the tomb, then just mirror those sections around, think of it as a box with 4 sections, your pretty much doing it now except for the 2 medalion sections on the side with differetn gods. Maybe put those on the end, or have 3 medallions on the side, I did a quick draw over to show where you could rethink your texture layout, the red lines are where you can mirror, just a few suggestions.

Spark
    www.bbriley.com
    everythingnewlw4.jpg
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions, for some reason I never thought about mirroring those points that you laid out. On the medallions I just tried to follow the concept.
    This is not my concept just something I was given. Well the main reason the layout looks like this is when I unwrapped it I took the indivdual pieces of it and use a 1024 by 1024 texture size and painted them and then put them back together on one 1024 by 1024, that helps me focus and not be in a hurry when im painting something. Maybe I shouldnt be pointing that out but ehh , what can i do. I will actually go back and use those suggestions. Thanks again
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    snake, that technique is not a problem, just clone your mesh, redo the UVs nice and clean, then bake the diffuse from the original to the new uv layout.
  • rlostfrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rlostfrost polycounter lvl 17
    hey Snake i was wondering how you painted the textures? did you use the concept and skew the medallions or start from scratch?

As far as your tomb, its looking pretty good i would give certain areas more texture space, for example the side of the tomb has more detail than the boot so it commands more texture space unlike the boot which has less detail..this will decrease the blurriness on the side of the tomb.

if you do take Spark's advice and use symmetry on certain pieces, i would put the medallions on a plane and just overlay them on top..try utilize all 1024 space as possible by compacting everything together..

everything2ug8.jpg
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I did everything from scratch, I just used the color picker in photoshop and grabbed the base from the concept and laid that down. Then I used a darker version of the base and set out the outline of the face. Once that was done I figured out the light source and this case it was coming from top left and use a lighter color from the base and then pick the base again and chose a darker color from that. Then went back and picked an almost white for the highlight. The wings took me about 3 hours to do.

Ill go and do a short step by step for the medallions and also show how I did the texture for the cement.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went in and changed the unwrapping and then made a small tutorial on how I created the medallion pieces

smalltut.jpgredoneUV.jpg
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I think aside from what's been mentioned already, you really need to look into dirtying it up a bit. Everything is clean, which makes it looks very very fake.

Tomb carvings of that sort tend to collect lots of dirt in corners and grooves, but this texture is immaculately clean, and that ruins the look.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Looks alot better on the uv layout Snake. A good thing to remember is that if you mirror in texture, then mirror in the uv's, and if you want to add some different detail to a section, just have an alpha plane to help you get some variation.

Spark
    www.bbriley.com
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for posting your process on the painted symbol