Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Portfolio Site- lookin for crits

Hi all, I am an environment artist currently lookin for my first job in the games industry, so I figured I'd post up my porfolio site and see if anyone could give me some tips on what to improve.

The URL is: www.kellywaters3d.com -

All I have on there for now is my reel as well as my resume, but i intend to add an image gallery in the near future.

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    we need pictures not video
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    It looked pretty cool but the streaming video I watched is really low quality and ruins any details you may have. It hurts you more than helps.

Get those stills up!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely get your Gallery up.

The old west environment is ok, but I was hoping to see more. Resume even spoke of racing game art.

Are these all photo-made textures or do you do any hand painting? How about normal maps?

Take out Domino’s Pizza from your resume. On a lighter note, because it word-wrapped for me I thought it said “Pizza Delivery and Customer”
  • captaincanuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thx for the crits. So I was lookin at your gallery there Thegodzero and I noticed you got watermarks over all the textures, is that something I should consider. Im gonna get that gallery up as soon as possible, not much time to spare around now, but soon after the new years.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    As long as its not like this one.
    http://www.tgz3d.com/images/CBtex.jpg

Its always a good idea have your name or website on your work. That way if your work gets posted or saved by someone else they will know who made it. And it stops people from claiming your work as their own.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    As said by everyone - we need pictures. Nice hi-res pictures with thumbnails. I've not downloaded the video, I just watched the streaming one. If the downloadable one is higher quality, ditch the streaming one - the quality is horrendous at times.

Simple site, good work. Your polygon usage seems good from what I could see. I'd certainly consider you for an entry level positions
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hello kelly! welcome to polycount.

i viewed your reel in the flash format and received it well. your work looks great. i felt the interior work was done very well. good work and assuming you had recently gotten your diploma, congratulations on graduating.

some crit on your site:
    - the "large" link at the top links to a quicktime video that is too compressed and looks to have been scaled up making the compression look even worse.

- the stream link points to the same 'Large.html' so same as above.

- the download link streamed a high quality mov. looked good, but i don't think people are going to jump for that option. people will choose the option with least resistance.

- definitely display a beauty render first and foremost to grab the viewer's attention and give them a good first impression of who you are and what you're capable of.

but, just to voice my opinion, the website isn't what's important, it's your artwork. so when it comes to designing a presentation, make it very forward and to the point, your artwork. just show people your artwork.

to help in your job search, i'd suggest becoming an active member of an online community like this one. get to know and learn from the members by sharing works in progress, asking for and receiving well, their criticism. discuss it with them and feel free to disagree with it, most of the time i will receive conflicting criticism. give others your opinion on their work. it helped put me on the radar of a lot of game artists that liked my work enough to help get my foot in the door and get an interview.

good luck!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres how my visit went.

Opened the link, looked around didn't see enough of anything that grabbed my attention or motivated me to download/steam a video so I closed the link. As everyone has said some nice stills would do wonders for the site and your chances of landing a job.

After reading a few posts my interest was piqued so I went back and watched the flash version. The video quality was pretty poor, and was really big, whatever its native resolution was, put it back.

There is some really good stuff in there, plenty of things to take still of and drive people to view the videos. Even in the high speed era it is still too much of a commitment for most to blindly download, stream and view a video without first having a good idea what is coming.

Suggested still shots:
    - The front doors when they slightly open, when the camera starts to enter.
    - The panning shot of the stove.
    - The shot of the bar, from the ground floor.

Technically:
    - Detach the deer head from the plaque, save some polys.
    - The "concept" looks like a trace over of a render. Not much of a concept if it was done after the fact =/
    - The cowboy/old west town is in a valley, and the hills are covered with grass. I'm not saying this can't ever happen, but its not what you would expect. Normally when I think old west town, I think a few buildings in the middle of a flat desert type area. Since it looks like the buildings are your main selling point it would have worked better to show them in this type of an environment. Especially since I think the surrounding area hurts your overall chances as it looks pretty bad and pretty rushed together.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    is that the saloon from Deadwood?