Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Want a job? Then get schooled where it rules!

For those who don't know me, I am the founder of 4D Rulers Software, and have been in business since 1996. Our first released title was Gore - Ultimate Soldier, mostly known for it's zany intense unique multi player action, which shipped in 2002. I started my own company with no experience, no money and just a dream. I was able to raise millions of dollars, create my own technology, and I've shipped 3 commercial games now. Over the years, 4D Rulers has trained countless aspiring game artists, animators and level designers. Due to inconsistent publishing contracts, we've been through layoffs and my help moved on to greener pastures. Today, there many people I've mentored holding lead positions at AAA studios working on highly anticipated titles.

I'm working on a new title, and I am offering a mentorship program to help people start their own companies, projects or to get a job in the industry. The cost of my program is dirty cheap for what you will get:

*Your name in the credits of our next release.
*Industry experience.
*Training and feedback on your work.
*Experience working in a team environment.
*To see a game develop from A to Z behind the scenes.
*Learn how to bring your work to the next level.
*Learn optimization techniques for fastest rendering.
Cost is based on experience, but an average level of modder's cost will be $1000 USD. Price fluctuates based on experience and talent and is calculated on a per person basis.
*Email and MSN access to me and the team.

Requirements
The applicant must pay at least $500 up front.
Must have their own modeling and texturing software. (preferably 3ds max)
Must constribute some assets we end up using to get your name in the credits.

In a nutshell, you will be working with next gen technology on our upcoming game, be given tasks to do and will submit it at various development milestones for review, feedback and critique. In return for your money and work, you'll get to ask questions, learn the ropes of game development, become a much better artist, and gain valuable experience for your resume and portfolio which could possibly lead to full time employment here at 4D Rulers or help you launch your career in the industry.

For more information, email me: joel@4drulers.com

Replies

• Pedro Toledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pedro Toledo polycounter lvl 17
    This gives a whole new meaning to "Paid Job".
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I guess this is sort of a paid job, only WE pay YOU to work for you!!

edit: beat by pedro...
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Funny....what do you get for 500$.....I hope at least a copy of Gore: ultimate soldier
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Who is desperate enough to pay you for the opportunity to work on a free multiplayer game full of advertisements?

3 guys in a basement with the torque engine and a website could profit more.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I was gonna make a reach around joke, but I don't want to sully the paid job forum...

BTW, shouldn't this go in general discussion?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I would move this to Requests (probably fits better there than in GD), but I don't have power in this area of the forums... YET!!!
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Absofuckinglutely disgusting.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Ahh so tempting, but not desperate or insane enough. Plus too freaking poor! wink.gif 1000 usd is way too much man especially since the person would be doing work for you, but whatever...

Alex
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I honestly don't see this as being that bad of an idea. Polycount was obviously not the best place to advertise it, but if 4d rulers needs money and some amateur artist with $1000 burning a hole in their pocket needs experience, I don't really understand the harm in them asking them to pay them to work on their project.

That said, this does bring a whole new meaning to 'paid job postings'.
  • Joel Huenink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pay is based on experience.

For example, if you have little experience and only a few models under your belt you are going to be paying me 1 to 2k based on how rough you are around the edges, and be contributing over a 1 to 2 year period of time towards the final result of our product. If you are moderately talented and have a good start on a portfolio, perhaps there will be no charge at all. If you are extremely skilled, and have some experience, then perhaps I'll pay you for your work.

But trust me when I say this, ALL of you could learn something. There are so many guys here who might be able to make a nice screenshot of one thing, but then their max files are full of sheet edges, double manifolds, have bad stripping and generally could be cleaner and designed better for in game engine performance. Or they can't do foilage, or organics well. Their organization and engine knowledge could be improved. Their people skills could be better. Their motivation level could be improved. Having to actually please me and jump through some hoops, meet some deadlines and goals will take their work to the next level. Having their name in the credits will get them more employment opportunities, or at my studio when we expand, etc. It's all a lot more focused than piddling around on your own projects, you will actually learn discipline, clean grid modeling, learn proprietary engine know how, how projects come together from an idea to a completed game, the works. I need man power, and I'm willing to teach. The cost is negotiable, or if you are extremely good, I can pay you for your work.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    No thanks. I prefer to not pay people to critique my work harshly then steal it. Especially when I can do that for free.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
  • Joel Huenink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I'm pretty appalled at the lack of enthusiasm here.

Do you guys send hate mail to Westwood school of game development? I'm offering personal schooling, chance to actually get your name on a published title, real work experience, and an opportunity to become a real game developer. There are a few old school polycounters that all got their start at my studio. I've been doing this for years now. My brother who knew nothing, I trained him and he's lead designer at 3D Realms now, and he's shipped about 6 AAA titles now. The proof is in the pudding, and resume experience. How many jobs say under requirements "at least two years experience working in the industry?" About all of them. Lots of people get involved in worthless mods that get cancelled, this game will actually be in the eyes of millions of people since it will be a free download. Those who paid their dues, may get full time job offers once the ad revenue starts streaming in. I see this as a great opportunity, but I see no need for all the negativity. Two of my interns just got full time jobs because they paid their dues through this program, and as I mentioned, there are a lot of guys all who got good jobs who mentored under me. Our first free MP test Goretest, got over a million downloads the first week. Your work will get a greater audience than any commercial game out there, because our new free game will be the hottest most downloaded game of all time. We're committed to monthly updates and improvements, this game's potential audience is bigger than about anything. So if you really want to get your work visible, this is an incredible vehicle.

Lone wolf started out just doing some art for our amp2 tech demo. He got a full time job for one title we did, and then this last project he was contracted to do paying work. This is all about making connections and building your resume, and learning more than you can on your own.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for editing your post, Joel.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    That's cool man...I think most people misunderstood..seriously where could you get hands on training for 500$..that would have paid for like just one of my art school classes....Hell I spent 40k on my education...and almost 70% of it was garbage. Sounds like it would at least be good to look into if it's legit, and if you were looking for training
  • Joel Huenink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just offering. There are a million ways to get hired, but I think having real experience helps a lot. I've been mentoring a few new people for each project. The money part is negotiable, but mostly there to weed through the people who will waste my time. If someone is willing to put forth some money, then that tells me they are willing to work hard and take this seriously, which is how you go places in life. I've had a few interns who never produced any work and were just a huge waste of my time, so the money is an insurance factor. Trust me, I'm not getting rich from spending countless hours helping people learn, I do this because I like helping people and it keeps costs down. I also help people in bodybuilding and personal development.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The cost is negotiable, or if you are extremely good, I can pay you for your work.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may have helped to include that in your first post. Probably everyone who posted in this thread before me is more than capable enough to make money off of their work, and, while I'm not sure, I wouldn't be suprised if all of them already had. I'm sure you can imagine why 'applicant must be willing to pay $500 dollars up front' didn't spark much enthusiasm from them.

Good luck, though I'm sure you can find people who will be more than willing to. It does definitely seem, in many ways, more valuable than a lot of college 'game art' courses. For what isn't, really, all that bad of a price.
    Maybe if I was a little richer, or a whole lot more desperate. laugh.gif
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a really good opportunity as I've had to pay 60k on a pethetic college that only specializes in pixar type art and film.

$500.00 down the line really isn't much when it comes to get professional help and the bonuses that joel's giving. I am very interested but sadly my cash flow is not good and I just spent a few hundred on my first wacom tablet. (Thank the lord I can stop z-brushin with the mouse).

But something Joel I am wondering that isn't cleared is if this is remote work or onsite work? smile.gif
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Fair enough, when you were asking for point blank hand outs to rescue your project/company, but blagging for handouts and people to work for *your profit* is not on. And cut the Almighty shit, you`re actively trying to exploit your peers. Go get a job with Ubishite or some other student house, you`ll like them, they try and con people with `great benefits` too.
    Why hasn`t this thread been deleted already?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Joel thanks for clearing things up in the post now it sounds like it worth it and more professional. Good luck with your work.

Alex
  • Joel Huenink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internships are remote. You work from your home. However if someone really wanted to learn a lot and wanted to relocate here and come to work at the office, that would be fine too.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    seems a nice oportunity if you want to learn or are still trying to learn because the benefits are clear if you just pay 500$ for a supose education. Still , that beeing remote i dont think it would have as much inpact as on site.

P.S - firestarter : ????
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    When I first read this I thought it was completely ridiculous.

Then As I read on, I thought "Hmm, well maybe a private tutor would be cool for people with no experience."

Then I read that the tutoring is remote, taking me back to my original impression of "ridiculous".

I'm not sure where the differences are from something like... oh, i dunno... polycount?

Lets do a run-down of the similarities between your "service" and THIS messageboard.

-Make industry contacts - CHECK
    -Ability to collaborate and meet people - CHECK
    -Learn new stuff every day -CHECK

AND with polycount, we get critique, criticism, friendship, and cats...and sometimes boobs too. So basically, the scales are tipped out of your favor.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, how I wish I could lock threads in here...
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Then As I read on, I thought "Hmm, well maybe a private tutor would be cool for people with no experience."

Then I read that the tutoring is remote, taking me back to my original impression of "ridiculous".

I'm not sure where the differences are from something like... oh, i dunno... polycount?

Lets do a run-down of the similarities between your "service" and THIS messageboard.

AND with polycount, we get critique, criticism, friendship, and cats...and sometimes boobs too. So basically, the scales are tipped out of your favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just set up a great argument for why a polycount membership should cost $2000 laugh.gif.
  • modern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modern polycounter lvl 17
    I have read all the posts, and I have to agree with the earlier posts. This offer is just a scam to get people to work for nothing. If you are so successful at training people, why are you not hiring them to work for you? It is very obvious what your motivation is. Professional Studios should not mascarade as educational establishments. Shame on you.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, I think this would be a better option than going to some shitty school that would put me in debt, atleast 20 times worse than this. The forums are great, but having a peer by your side to work with, ask questions, and learn from on the fly is way better. If I was still set on getting into the biz, I would probably hit this guy up, I've seen Jon Jones and cholden come out of 4dRulers with great success. Also, DH worked for them on gore.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    You should try farming WoW gold, i think people would more readily pay for that... even i did.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    IIf I was still set on getting into the biz, I would probably hit this guy up

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, while I still respect the idea, the more I think of it it doesn't seem like such a good deal.

I would strongly consider doing it for free; the little bit of usable content I produce would seem a fair price for the little bit of training I can't get for myself or on Polycount. But while I understand the idea of 'insurance' against people who would just waste the companies time, paying 500-2000 dollars seems like a bit much.

I would also think they could simply decline very inexperienced artists.

(like me. laugh.gif)
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well put.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    come on, this must be a joke...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Moved to Requests forum since this is not really a paid job posting.

Also locking it to prevent needless bickering, if people want to apply the info is all still up there.
This discussion has been closed.