Home Technical Talk

Fabric Dynamics in Realtime.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
I just purchased Rockstars table tennis on the XBOX and was blown away by its graphics, as I have only had the console since christmas. What I was really wondering is how do they make such believable fabric work like that in realtime, as well as getting the Normal Maps to look right when the shirt is deformed. How many polygons do these shirts have? I am assuming that the actual animations are done with the physics engine. Any insight into this, as I am very interested in how it is done.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i believe that they used like 5 normal maps and for example when they bend the arms they use one , when they are still they use another, i believe its that way . i actual never thought anyonewould implement that system !
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    On cinema industry, i read somewhere that they did the same with different displacement maps (one with contracted muscles, with bigger veins and so), i guess that is just the same thing but reduced to meet realtime needs.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not that hard to blend bump maps, you could even blend one in per-vertex if your code supported it, like the left sleeve gets wrinkled in a certain pose. Gonna have to check out that game.

Taron did some interesting work blending displacements together, worth a look. http://www.taron.de/