Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Station Overtaken

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
I've been working on a game project with a programmer pally, and you may have seen some of my practice/concepting around here. With the holiday vacation, I get a week to put some time into it.

The idea behind the level is grounded in current space stations, cylindrical tubes with round hatch doors, but don't worry, designs are already in place for larger, more open rooms. For storyline purposes, the environment is decayed and ruined after a hostile parasitic take-over. Artistically, I'm aiming for Aliens with a hint of old school FPS (Quake2).

What you're looking at:
So far, I'm spent about a day on this (Saturday). There are no real diffuse or specular maps to speak of, just a simple color/rust overlay with first pass normals, and a few other this-and-thats to get a feel for the overall aesthetic look. More color? Yes, it's going to happen. The glow is there to give an idea of what might happen with the lights. The ceiling is just the floor, and yes, I'm going to fix that. Overall, the modeling isn't currently much more than a cylinder within a cylinder (Huzzah!). Here's a viewport print screen from max:

http://chrisholden.net/station03.jpg

wires:
http://chrisholden.net/station03w.jpg

Much more to come in this progress thread. Possibly some in-game shots sooner than later (later than sooner?). We've already got working movement, weapons, etc. in-game. If anyone's interested in modeling a zombie astronaut (astrozombie? Zombienaut?), I've got a ton of reference!

Whew! That's'a spicy write-ball!

Replies

• Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    That is looking pretty good Cholden.

If you are looking for someone to give a try to some chars as that zombie give me a call wink.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Great as usual, where you working, at Epic?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    getting sort of an Event Horizon vibe.

I don't really like normal mapped pipes off to the side, you notice that they're very flat at the end of the hall.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    nice stuff, can we see the model with no diffuse? then another with no normal mapping and no diffuse?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you could maybe add in some struts that block the view of the far pipes.. they look quite convincing up close.. I like it!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks great, but I think there are too many thin struts/slats nice to have a contrast with some thicker ones.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I can't wait to see more cholden, looks sweet (great gun too!) smile.gif I hope you are going to have low gravity parts with plenty of astronaut stuff flying around
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor: pm'ed you.
    Askhat: EA Mythic
    LordScottish: we've talked about going outside the station into some space bits, but nothing tested just yet.

Added depth to some of the pipes, and the struts (?) for distant pipe blocking.

Not much work tonight, ceiling is still temp, and no diffuse/spec work done at all. Really looking forward to coloring that door, and definitely need to redo the pipes in the background. They worked great for getting an idea, but pile of random cylinders just doesn't hold up for some reason. :P

station04.jpg

Jarrod, I think I accommodated your image needs
    http://chrisholden.net/station04norm.jpg
    http://chrisholden.net/station04opac.jpg
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    looks pimp per usual!

only thing im not sure about is tha flor/ceiling. Do you mean the floor is temp or the ceiling? cus right now i think what you got works as a ceiling but not as a floor if that makes sense
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    cholden i love that characteristic style you put on your work of art , VERY nice smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm curious about how you'll colour the game, I like the monotone thing you have going on. if you kept the general colouring of areas desaturated and accompanied it with some really vivid splashes of colour in strategic places (maybe spaced out in levels rather than on a room by room basis) it could be sweet, a bit like sin city.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    You could make the door glow sort of like this:
    station04.jpg
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Looking very nice Chris, can't wait for more!
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I really like it so far. I know it’s early on, but would love to see some battle damage and suggestions of horrible carnage. Are you planing on adding some random biomass from an odd alien creature?
    -Neil
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    looks cool so far chris. I'm assuming you're looking closely at the set designs in the original Alien - I would love to see you adopt some of the panicked, spooky lighting and atmosphere from the finale!
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    Some more smoke or fog near the floor would be awesome. What about filling in the hole between the strut and the wall, or just making the support thicker? It could make some nice cover and add to the overall depth of the scene.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what program you are using for the lighting but those volumetric lights have pretty sharp edges, if you can it would be a good idea to soften the edges.

noattenuation1.gif

In Max you adjust the spotlight fall off and attenuation.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    vig, he's probably faking it with geometry since it's for a game engine, so soft edges would be more difficult than that.

nice stuff so far chris, I agree with Squirmy's suggestion though, maybe making those support struts thicker or entirely solid into the wall would really help the depth of this, make it not look quite so "busy".

can't wait to see how it looks with some colour thrown in smile.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough, I drop the alpha and rebuild the beams as solid chunks.

To address the lighting; the plan is to set mood lighting that will change throughout the level based on where you're at and what's happening. Some of you may remember Arshlevon's rant a while back about how disney movies could be laid out to show a constant flow of color. Something like that is what I've been wanting to do for a long time.

Vig, yea it's just a cone with a gradient. I'll see about something higher quality.

Marshal & Vig: you mind linking those images instead of img tagging them? I like a clean, fast loading thread.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    A programmer at work solved this hard edged light beam problem for us this year, for those that are interested he takes the cylindar model and renders it with a camera facing rim light, then he uses the rim light as the alpha so no matter what way you look at it it is always alpha faded from the sides. We supply a texture to make it fade off at the bottom. Half life 2 also solved that problem but I am yet to figure out how they did it as theirs looks really nifty.