Home Technical Talk

insane 3dsmax snaps

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
Has anyone else had problems with snapping to grid min 3dsmax. i sometimes just will not snap to the grid, no matter what you do. Is there a known bug here?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    mine's always been fine snapping to a grid, but you can't snap vertically in the perspective viewport :/
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah a colleague of mine has tried virtually every setting and its still flakey. weird
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Max snap is the worse i have ever used, at least in those last versions. If i remember, they changed it in max7.

I have had too many problems snapping in Max, so many that i ended switching to xsi. Working with too many apps and exporting is something horrible.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    What kind of problems exactly?

S is snap (whatever type of snap setup you have) and that will snap on any axis regardless of how your geometry is.

If you hit Alt+D however, you can constrain the snap along 1 axis. Maya has a similar and more powerful functionality to this, but its still really handy in max if you are trying to align stuff to wall surfaces or whatever. It really bugged the hell out me though as i would sometimes hit Alt+D and then it would snap along an axis and i had no idea why max was acting so weird until i figured out what was going on mad.gif

That may be your problem btw ooo.gif
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    yea im with blazier on this one... the only snap i can really work with is snap to vertex. And thats just simple vert to vert snapping. I guess im becoming that mayabuff i always had nightmares about!

That alt+d sounds handy tough, gonna try that out
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    1. aligning geometry with buildings made in radiant
    2. creating geometry that snaps to a grid so the object's bounds are exactly on that grid when exported to radiant
    3. applying an FFD and snapping it to the grid to make an object's bounds rounded to the nearest grid unit.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i've noticed problems in max 6 with snapping. 7 and 8 i haven't had any problems.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What do you guys use grids for? Can you give some examples?

[/ QUOTE ]

Buildings