de_wanda_10.jpg

de_wanda_11.jpg

de_wanda_12.jpg

mirrors:

http://riviera.heaven.nexusirc.at/warby/filez/de_wanda.zip

http://community.clan00.de/maparchiv.php?dl=2731

credits:

de_wanda
by soenke c. "warby" seidel ( warbeast@planetunreal.com )

layout, bsp, scripts, models and textures by soenke c. "warby" seidel ( www.warby.de )
photo resources, hdr-sky and entities support - thomas "hessi" hess ( www.thomashess.net )
inspirational paint overs - scott duquette sama ( www.scottduquette.com )
awesome maya exporter and debugging help - prallhans ( http://mitglied.lycos.de/prallvamp )

special thanks:

riviera for maintaining my website while i was making this map.
kokosovar for the french poster text translation.
dodger, ornatebaboon, barrakid, defrag, r_yell and acumen
for the help with the audio and bomb targets.
the bfc berliner fight club clan for providing the dedicated beta test server.
the [00] clan for web hosting of the map file.
the [env] clan for help testing the map even if it means to sacrifice social life ^^

greetings to:
x-tender carny sa74n xenon bedlam krueps alec moody linga lord scottish shimmer sixshooter lumpn zacker
everyone from mapcore cs.maps and all polycounters

known issues:

-when using the coin operated binoculars be careful to not get killed or the player camera will get stuck in there forever
how to fix: we have to wait for valve to address this engine bug for now don't use em or reconnect if it happens to you.

*if somebody feels like adding a mirror please do so ! thanks in advance

smile.giflaugh.gifsmile.gif

... its 100% pure custom content !!!

Replies

• Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    eeeh.. Those images make me speechless.. Sick stuff man!!
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    w00t! love the way it turned out! great job!!

=^.^=
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    WOW! looks awesome! no crits from me, until i play it wink.gif
  • Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    DAAAAAAMN!!!! I like it! Looks freakin sweet man! How long did this take?
  • hoabert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hoabert polycounter lvl 17
    Super excellent! I especially like the cellar and the collosus. Amazing texture work on everything too.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Fucking amazing looking map, I'm definately going to have to play test through it this weekend. Looks like I'm going to have to get back into hammer editor now laugh.gif

-caseyjones
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    DAAAAAAMN!!!! I like it! Looks freakin sweet man! How long did this take?

[/ QUOTE ]

5 month with lots of slacking and full time work in parallel ^^ thanks everyone
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that looks awesome!
    Only thing that bugs me though is the inconsistency of it: some parts look very painted while others have these extremely realistic phototextures.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nicely done! each shot looks great you should be very happy with it smile.gif
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    except for the tripod pimpels and the colossus eyes everythign you see here is photo.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    If you don't mind me asking...but why is there a tripod fighting a colossus?

I mean, the map looks awesome, I'm just a little confused...
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    its an exhibition in a museum of a statue made by ... well me ^^ theres advertisement for the grand opening of the exhibition all over the map too ^^
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Warby Style laugh.gif

I think the tripod fighting the colossi seems totally out of place. But thats a general thing with your maps.
    Also the lighting is VERY excessive.

Besides that good work as always.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, ok maybe it is just the geometry or the way it is presented, but the houses in the background (for example) really scream "anime-like" at me, while other parts are almost photorealistic.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bring Bring... Bring Bring
    Warby: Hello?
    Valve: Hello Warby this is Valve, we would like to offer you a job.
    Warby: oh my chest... should my left arm be going numb? It feels like a fat man is sitting on my sternum.... I can't breath... THUD!
    Valve: meh... call the next one.

Seriously tho, nice job. I'll give it a play tonight, after I reinstall and patch CS:S. If the pacing of the level is half as good as the assets I see here you have a great level on your hands that could easily become a favorite in the community.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great Warby! Looks like a LOT of work! Good job on getting it complete.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Yeah this is pretty much awesome! The one thing that sticks out to me is the foliage, the tone on the trees just doesn't seem to match the rest of the level. That asside, very awesome!
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downloading now! the screenshots look absolutely stunning, i cant wait to play.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    5 months well spent smile.gif great stuff
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Man - that colossus would SUCK to climb! No grassy/hair/fur to hold on to, no platforms to rest and get your stamina back...basically just all armor. >_<

This is just awesome dude. But unfortunately I gotta agree with some of the above comments like the buildings up on the hill (maybe adding more blue/distance fog to separate them? They make the map look like a diorama), the trees, and more grime on the props like the chairs and tables.

But god damn that second pic makes me drool. Awesome work.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm yeah, this is pretty cool!
    There are sections that are way better than others though, and while you say it's nearly entirely photosourced, there's a huge range of styles in there.

A lot of the house walls are just flat plain colour, yet they're sitting right next to houses with really grainy, obviously-photosourced textures on them, and that just looks very inconsistent.

Similarly if you compare this shot with this shot, they look like they're from entirely different styles, could even be completely separate levels! Especially the trees and foliage look very painted and cartoony compared to some of the direct-photo-ref wall textures on a few buildings.

The amount of detail you've put into all the mapobjects is pretty cool though, it looks pretty nice overall, although I have to say I much prefer the shots where the photosourcing is strongest (first two images especially). The flat-colour buildings and excessively green trees just look weird with the very bloomy lighting.

Good job getting it all finished and pulled together though, keep it up smile.gif
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    very awsome stuff. other than the collosus and the tripod(not that they dont look great) I feel the whole thing breaths on its own!
  • MackXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MackXX polycounter lvl 17
    Fantastic job! Probably the best looking Source based media I've seen in a long, long time. Can't wait to play it!
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    This map makes me speechless warby! Congrats to this great piece of work dude
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    i like the atmosphere in the map. makes me wanna go on vacation to some mediterranean cities. good work warby. i agree on the inconsistency in places but i guess you wanted it to look that way.
    its cool to see that even after years you can still see similarities in style to your early maps smile.gif
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats on the release warby, I'll definitely give this a go when I get home!
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    That wine celler looks so sexy I could sex it up right now. Great work!

While I was tooling through this map I noticed a few things look as if they don't have any texture on them at all as if you're relying on the lightmap entirely. The mini-columns supporting the rails, the chairs, and the tables for instance. Would be worth the small amount of extra effort to go ahead and paint up a simple couple of textures for them.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    f u c k ! looks gorgeous ! i wish i had cs to play this frown.gif
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    damn! thats hot!
    Love the detail u put on it, very very cool!

PS: Johny we can fix that, one more time laugh.gif
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Jeeze, it's people like you that cause mass suicides. You rock, good sir!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Warby, sorry for the late response but I finally had a few minutes at work to load this up.

Threewave's been working with the Source engine for the past year so I figured I'd show it to the team and get their thought.

Overall, its really pretty. And very very impressive for just 1 dude to have worked on - even if it did take you awhile. Here are some thoughts I collected from about 6 different people here (artists and level designers).

-The scale is mish mashed throughout. Your windows on the buildings are huge. The ladders are huge and in some spots your bricks are the size of a car - even if they are on the outside of the playing area.

-Your lighting is overbright and not using the HDR wisely. There should be some nice contrast areas of light/dark throughout. You've got some dark spots but some more areas with this treatment would be ideal.

-Valve lights assets with environment map masks weird when in the dark. Your envmap saturation and contrast should be turned down (in the .VMT) on certain objects to correct thing. The view finders specifically come to mind.

-The textures used for your skyportal meshes look really cartoony when compared to the rest of your texture work. It's a contrast thats all too obvious, and ruins the effectiveness of the setup.

-Water is a multiplayer killer for CS: S. Did you know this? There's things you can do to water to make it efficient for multiplayer gaming with Source. One of the things I know to help is making the water non-clear.

-You're using a single model for a huge vertical aesthetic of a building and this causes major lighting issues. In one spot it works well, but in others it looks horrible as the model is lit lightly but the wall its against is dark. There's ways to work around this. Firstly, the engine vertex lights from the assets origin so having a large asset like that is extra prone to lighting failure. You could break the model up and piece it back together in Hammer - thus giving you multiple original and more accurate lighting.

The other fix is to use 2 new vrad parameters that you'd add to hammers compile window in export mode. -staticproppolys and -staticproplighting. This will tell vrad to create lightmaps for all static props and essentially create self lighting assets.

-Again, great job for one person.

With all of this said - do you work somewhere?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Firstly, the engine vertex lights from the assets origin so having a large asset like that is extra prone to lighting failure. You could break the model up and piece it back together in Hammer - thus giving you multiple original and more accurate lighting.

The other fix is to use 2 new vrad parameters that you'd add to hammers compile window in export mode. -staticproppolys and -staticproplighting. This will tell vrad to create lightmaps for all static props and essentially create self lighting assets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I THINK there is another way to fix this. I remember running across it when I was having trouble with the lighting on several props. I think in the properties of that object there is a setting. I think you make a certain kind of object (forget what kind its been 2 years) and tell the prop to use the origin of that object to gather light from. The object might have been a "light listener" but I can't be sure about it.

Sorry if that was pretty vague I don't have hammer installed at work otherwise I would be more specific.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Bumping this to give a big Congrats to Warby. Linked on the front page of 1Up!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156765
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    That's fucken sweet as... Congrats dude!

-caseyjones
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    War of the worlds vs shadow of the collosous, fucking cool! Also I like that first shot the photogrammetry is nifty on that building. Can you show a wire of the first building and how much texture ram did you use on that sucker looks quite high res?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looks sexy, will check it out!
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    It's also on www.PCzone.co.uk smile.gif

Congrats fella smile.gif echoing what is being said, amazing work for one person laugh.gif
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Also spotted this on gamestar.de earlier today. Great job!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    spotted on NoFrag.com...first time I see them post a map, and they are usually really picky

great job man laugh.gif will try it as soon as I can smile.gif
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i was at a job interview in kopenhagen last week i hope the people there that now decide over my fate will read this and see what a PR whore i am and decide to hire me ^^

IOI for the win !