Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bruce Campbell from The Evil Dead (Update)

Danko
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Danko polycounter lvl 17
Hello all,

Well I’ve been lurking around for quite some time now, and I finally found the courage to post here. I’ve only been using max for just under a year, and low poly character modelling for about 3/4 months, and I must say, i’m really loving it, hope to make a good future out of it. Can I just add what an amazing forum/community this is?

Enough of the introduction, down with the nitty gritty. After watching The Evil Dead, I thought making Bruce with all his kit on would be pretty cool, so I had a go at it.

Just finished modelling it, but something overall seems to be bothering me but I can’t put my finger on it, I’m hoping you guys can. I would like to get the model as good as I can before I carry on with the texturing. Currently weighs in at 5762 polys.

Here’s the base concept I was working of:

brucewizardaw2.jpg

And here’s the model:

showcasecopymm7.jpg

Danko.

Replies

• Rated Rrr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Danko, well I can't say too much except more iterations/loops around the shoulders and crotch and I suppose around much of the body. Right now it's very blocky (legs, arms, fingers), the face as well isn't really screaming Campbell to me. It is a real basic low poly model which might have some promise if thrown into z brush or mudbox. I'm not a character guy so I hope one of the better modelers will see this and be a bit more specific.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    You really need to fix the spinal arch and the waist. I really don't remember Ash wearing a corset
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm, I'm getting less of a Buce Campbell vibe, and more of a this guy:
    Untitled-1.jpg
    Vibe
    But perhaps in his younger days.

I would suggest you take a look at this tutorial by Daz
    http://www.daz-art.com/hi_poly_tut.htm

Yeah, it's for high poly, but you can easily apply to low poly as well.

Bruce Campbells most prominent features are his cheek bones and chin.

(I listed his cheek bones twice for some strange reason...)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    pshaw his most prominent feature is that manly jaw.. and a chainsaw arm
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Rather than concentrating on the Bruceness, I'll try to help you with the general shape.

Oh, as a first point, rendering against black makes it hard to see what it going on. You may find his helpful (long url):

http://www.rsart.co.uk/2006/09/21/how-to-present-your-model-in-the-best-way-possible-for-feedback/

Ok, the shape. I'm going to work in big blocks here.

The legs. He is wearing what looks like boot cut trousers. You can see this on his right leg, on the left of the picture. The thinnest part of these trousers is the knee section. The legs taper inwards until the knee, then flare our again. I would guess than in a side profile they would be a gentle curve - the material is heavy and hugs the legs until the knees. When it hits here the calve muscles kick it out at the back, and it would hang almost vertically at the front.

THe torso has an hourglass quality in your image - this is due to the shirt being bunched up where it tucks into the trousers. However your bunch extends too high - it looks like he has a plastic ring forcing it outwards. In profile he has no chest - you've modelled it falling vertically from the neck, but there is a swell there. You can see his hunkyness below the shirt where it is ripped - he has a fairly solid build.

The arms
    you'll find it easier to build the arms hanging down - it's a more natural pose. Looking at the sleeve, its bunched - there is a lot of fabric there, so it will hang and be quite different from the bare arm. Shirt material is usually fairly light, so what tiy should have is one arm bigger than the other, but they are both at the same height - so any extra mass you add tot he sleeve needs to be on the underside.

I hope this helped.
  • Danko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danko polycounter lvl 17
    Hi again,

First off, thanks for all the replies, all of them were pretty helpful, especially Rick’s.

I’ve taken on all your advice, and I think the general shape is a lot better now (I’ll leave that up to you lot to decide though.). I came across a really nice picture of Bruce’s face in a number of positions, which helped me a lot to get the correct shape of his enormous chin and general face.

While I was at it I changed the chainsaw as well – looked a bit plain. Currently the poly count is at 3486 tris. (don’t ask how the polycount went from 5762 to 3486).

Hope you like, and hope to get some more great advice:

showcasenewxc5.jpg
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I really don't think that this one reference is sufficient for this model. You are missing quite a bit of information, such as an all around veiw of the arm and hands as well as what is going on underneith the clothes. http://www.3d.sk/ is an awsome site for human photos, the downside is that you have to pay a monthly fee but I would say its wourth it if you want to do character modeling. Since everyone has mentioned other things, I'll comment on the arms and hands. Your upper arm is way too long compared to the foreareme. The hands are really flat, keep in mind that there is muscle and skeletal structure there, they also look a little small in the front veiw.
    Good luck!
    -Neil
  • Danko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danko polycounter lvl 17
    Cheers Neil, thanks for the tips,

You are right about the hand, and i guess the forearm needs to be a bit longer (or the shoulder/bicep shorter?).

Also i had a question which i forgot to add but you just reminded me - With the big rip in the shirt should i actually model that, or could i get away with texturing it? I think i'll have a go a modeling that.

Danko
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Np, sorry it took so long to get back to you (Washington storm). If you are going to leave it as a real low poly, go ahead an try texturing, but you are not going to get as good of results. Btw it doesn't look like 5k poly, where are all those polys coming from? I bet you could strip it down quite a bit with out losing the shape.
    Good luck
    -Neil
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    His chainsaw arm is too long. He cut his hand off at the wrist, and your arm is longer than his other whole arm. The torso looks too wide compared to the arms and head. Also, he looks bow-legged and his shoulders aren't really squared. Hope that helps
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the head is still the worst aspect of the model. you really need to find good reference from side and front view and address the way you have constructed the mesh
    you seemed to have just kept adding polys in the hope it would come right
  • Danko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danko polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, thanks for the replies guys.

I was actually half way through unwrapping the model, when I spotted new comments, so with that I scrapped the unwrapped and made the new changes (even though unwrapping is a pain smile.gif ).

What I’ve changed on the model are – shortened chainsaw arm, redone the hands, shortened the bicep,made the body thinner,modelled the body which shows through the rip and some general tweaking.

With regards to the head Ruz, I found some good reference pictures of him but they are mostly showing the front, so I think I’ve done my best with what I had, unless you want to add some input before I move on? But you are bang on with the mesh, to be honest I wasn’t too happy with it when posting. But I have tried to give it a some what of a better mesh flow – don’t know if it differs much though.

Polycount is at 3618.

I think this project was a bit past my skill level, as everyone knows what he should look like and can nitpick to the very last detail, but I’m going to carry on with it and see where I end up with it, then move onto some of my idea’s.

Piccy:

showcasenewnewsx2.jpg

Danko.
  • mookster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mookster polycounter lvl 18
    Heres a side shot if you need it.
    pic6editrasesq3.jpg
    Also your ref is mirrored his chainsaw should be on his right hand.