Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

8-wheeled APC

Hello guys. I have a piece of work i'd very much like for you to pick apart. It's an APC for a short movie for my portfolio, loosely based on the LAV-III vehicles.
It will have a turret, but wanted to be sure the vehicle itself was okay before starting working on it smile.gif

4082 Triangles total, with diffuse, specular, self-illumination and opacity maps.
The APC's texture is 1024x1024 and the wheels are 256x256.

apcrender1bm4.jpg
Big: http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2231/apcrender1bigra2.jpg
apcrender2qi0.jpg
Big:http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6797/apcrender2bigvz0.jpg

It's kinda weird finally posting here after reading for so long smile.gif
Criticize away and be merciless smile.gif

Edit: Fixed the images, sorry about that.

Replies

• neoaxd
    Oops, images didn't show up. Sorry.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, but it has no spec map showing, looks all diffuse and self illumination. Nothing wrong with that other than you say it has one.
  • noritsune
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    nice job overall, but I think the texturing looks half-finished. it's far too clean, doesnt have any signs of wear and tear, and lacks contrast in values. Also, you'd do well to break up the "paint" of the logos and lettering - right now they don't sit on the surface of the vehicle well enough.

good work so far!
  • PeterK
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Falls right in line with FCS stuff. I agree about the worn look. Here is a good example of a vehicle that looks worn but not messy:

http://www.scottduquette.com/tmp/tank_terran_missiletank_comp_01.jpg
  • neoaxd
    Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful!
    The specular didn't come out well since I had a soft light dome on it, so no sharp highlights.
    Anyway, I finished the turret and added some dirt and scratched-off paint.

newapcrender1nh0.jpg
    newapcrender2wy0.jpg
    newapcrender3ex0.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I like the look that your texture has, it's got a lot of strong properties to it, but it's not very realistic. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it sounds like you might have been aiming for a more realistic look. The texture looks best at the near full bright you have in your first renders, it doesn't really hold up that well to being rendered with dynamic lights and a spec map.

Either way, try making a ground plane next time, and have a shadow of some sort, whether it's rendered or baked, that way it will aid in reading the object. Right now it's floating in a grey void, and it makes it a little hard to read.

poop.gif
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    if you want it to look more realistic, i suggest give the wheels some love. they look quite plain and boring currently.
    also, increasing the ride height of the wheels, and increasing the diameter of the wheels could make the vehicle look a bit more aggressive.

be5d663fec1f9dceaae5483879ea.jpg

i also suggest to try and reduce the overall grittiness, and increase the dirtyness.

camo looks like its british.
    maybe bands would fit the vehicle more than a german pattern?
    challenger.jpg
  • neoaxd
    Here it is with a ground plane, the wheels lower, re-ajusted scale-wise and more detailed as well as the dirt and grit on the body tweaked somewhat to make it look dirtier than damaged.

p1apcga1.th.jpg
    Thanks again for all the help, guys smile.gif