Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Presenting Ancients Remains

DASPRiD
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
DASPRiD polycounter lvl 17
Hi ppl,

just for the chrismas time, you will see my newest work now smile.gif
I worked for over 2 months on this project yet, and I'm still not done, but it's enough to show you. Visit the following URL, theres a screenshot-viewer for the map.

The map is made for Tremulous, a standalone game based on the Q3 GPL engine. Any comments, suggestions, etc. go here.

http://dev.dasprids.de/maps/ancient_remains/screenshots/

Have fun with viewing them wink.gif

Replies

• Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    smile.gif nice job, Im not much of a enviroment guy so Im not gonna be much help in the way critiques, but looks cool to me. Nice to see enviroments in the P&P section, nice stuff for a 1st post 2
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    I think you're better off breaking up the rock silhouette; with background rocks, or a differen't skymap.
    I think it looks great.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Your basic rock, ground and grass stuff is looking pretty nice. The interior stone walls are very noisy though, and the blocks that make up the texture need some colour variation to make them read as seperate objects. They look like you've just drawn the cracks between them on top of a single noisy/mouldy texture.

The props you have in some of the shots (turret guns, etc.) are quite hard to read against their background, being very similar in colour. Maybe this is the look you want, but I'd at least add some self-illuminated lights or something to make them a bit easier to see.

I know it's a WIP, but are you planning on adding some focal points to the map? Statues, ruins, whatever? It definitely needs some points of interest, but I'm sure you had planned for this anyway.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    boy what i wouldn't do for a terrain engine right now (its still being developed for the engine i use...). the outside looks nice but the interior is lacking a lot in my opinion.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    A few quick points at a glance:

Color match the grass alpha and the ground grass, and gradient to black the alpha at the base to give it a smooth transition into the ground. This will help blend the grass into the scene instead of it sticking out everywhere like an afterthought. Also, don't know anything about your engine, but if you can make the grass fade in and out at a distance (possibly manually reduce opacity of the alpha in the mips). This would add a nice effect.

Exterior canyon top silhouette needs variation. As is, the tops of all the rocks is totally flat. If you were to change these up, areas would appear more unique, and add memorable locational details.

Entryways are too weak. They are thin, box cutouts. Try something beefier, thick and supported. Also, the rocks above this are too thin to support an interior cave system. Build up the rocks above the entryway so that the interior being there is believable.

Interior detail levels weak compared to exterior. To be blunt, the interior is a box with a texture. Trim, support beams, and a worn path would do wonders for this area.

The brick texture reads as thin black lines on mossy rock. At any distance they disappear and it becomes a solid texture. Paint depth an shapes into these bricks. Damage and knock some out here and there. You can play with silhouette here at corners by having some stick out or broke out.

Finally, raise the torches above game play level so the details don’t conflict with items and add much needed raised height details.
  • Black_Dog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Dog polycounter lvl 17
    He didn't author the environment assets, those are sock's (and some other guy who did the tree?)

http://simland.planetquake.gamespy.com/pages/q3maps/pom.htm

Nice use of em... but I'd like to see something a bit more interesting. Any plans for structure or further detail? At the moment it's just rocky corridors.
  • DASPRiD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DASPRiD polycounter lvl 17
    Oh, really many responses.

I will take care of everything you've mentioned. Most of the things you said are still done, but I didn't want to publish new screenshots before the final release.

cep: I will look out for a better skybox, or even create my own.

CheeseOnToast: Locations with special details are added after taking the screenshots smile.gif

Cholden: Still realised the fade-out in 2 meters distance. That was even needed for the gameplay.

Black_Dog: I mentioned sock and all other guys in the readme-file of the map.
  • Black_Dog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Dog polycounter lvl 17
    Oh, I wasn't implying you were ripping them off. Just mentioning it for the guys who were making suggestions as to what to do with the textures.