Home Technical Talk

ionic capitals (help)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Anyone have luck modeling one of these bad boys before?

greek_ionic.jpg

The spiral design is giving me a complete headache when trying to model. This is for a high poly model (normal map), so I'm trying to get it accurate. The shape is proving to be difficult for me. I haven't done high poly work in about 6 years, so all of this is new to me again frown.gif
The main problem I'm having, is what to do with the center of the spiral, where it ends. Every attempt I've tried looks like crap, or doesn't subD properly at all.

Here's a pic of my failed attempts so far:

ionicnu4.jpg

Any ideas/help you guys have, would seriously be appreciated.

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Probably be a heck of a lot easier to make the normal map for this is photoshop, no?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Well, photoshop normals just aren't accurate enough. Besides, I'll undoubtedly run into another issue down the road, where there's some complex shape I need to create. I need to muscle over these inabilities in my high end modeling - how else can I learn it? smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I dont really know how we can help you on this beyond modeling it ourselves and showing you. Its not exactly a horribly complicated thing to model and I think youre getting pretty close with your attemtps. One or two more tries and you should have it smile.gif

Modeling out of splines might help...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like your last example is very nearly fine, you just need to run that edge connecting to the cylinder at the centre of the spiral into a different edge of the cylinder, rather than just straight into the middle.