Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

post-apoc soldier

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
hi, been working on this guy in little bits of spare time, I'm just about to make a start on the texture so I'll make a thread for him..
concept:
sold_concept.jpg

model:
sold_01.jpg

bits missing: at some point I'll add some bits of leather for helmet strap, glove straps and belt loops.
crits welcome!

Replies

• rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    how can you make a post apocalyptic soldier without assless chaps? i mean seriously... shame on you!

PS: on a serious side though half of the polygons on that face aren't doing ANYTHING, clean it up, doesn't look like he's gonna be able to open his mouth, so might as well get rid of all those loops around it, nose could be optimized as well, also check out his cheeks and going back to his jaw, you definitely don't need all those polygons up there.

PPS: ok and another thing, right now he's not striking me as quite too post apocalyptic... he could just be a regular sci fi or fantasy type dudeman, whats cool about post apoc stuff? imagine him using everyday things that you take for granted as armor, definitely make it alot less crafted and more "put together with some duct tape from the ruins of walmart" try and use bits and pieces of recognizable things that people use every day in neat creative ways. so there... i dunno post apoc to me = punky, creative and non manufactured, which is what really makes it look interesting. i dunno it'd probably make him look goofy and that may not be what ur going for smile.gif lol ok ignore me smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the other side wear the assless chaps. It's what the war is over!

edit: ah you got me I haven't looked at optimising anything yet, I couldnt wait to start the texture..

about the post apoc thing, what I really wanted to do was make a modern/futuristic soldier wearing chainmail and old armour.. perhaps alternate reality soldier is a better title but it doesn't sound as cool laugh.gif

edit again: hope this looks a bit better, I'll come back do some more on the whole model a bit later down the line:
    sold_02.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    That’s looking pretty good Rooster. I would say that the shoulders need to be wider to match the proportions of the rest of him.

- BoBo
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Rooster, cool concept, but lowpoly need more work though, i don't like his jaw, very wide and massive, eyes is strange too. Helmet is good solution.
    ahahahahawt, bobo, LOL.
    i thought "What the heck, why Josh writed -Bobo???"
    ahaha, avatar rawks
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i love how you're getting better rooster
    the paint in the torso armor is magnificent,
    i feel the boots could use some of it too, i lose interest with the bottom area.
    keep pushing your abstract shapes, even on that "insignificant feet" area. be fair all around smile.gif

one way to think about it would be by looking at How Much you pushed the form on the shoulder-pads. correspondingly, id like to see the forms on rest of the armor shapes equally developed, and not just in the x&y axis as well. for example, the front beak-shaped part of the helmet could extend further out, same for knee armor, etc.

hope this gave you something to think about

i would also suggest breaking up that thick, stiff outline (talking bout your drawing of course), especially along the legs
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with BoBo and Rockstar's crits. In addition, I think the elbows, knees, and butt, are going to deform poorly for a model of this polycount. I'd add several tight loops to the back of his elbow, more rings for his butt to hold it's roundness when his leg is lifted, and more loops for the knees.

Looking nice in the concept painting, and looking forward to the texture.

poop.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks for the comments;
    bobo- cheers- I'll take another look at the proportions after the texture and give it a tweak
    askhat- hehe I'll grant you the eyes will probably need some tweaking but I like the big jaw- hehe I noticed most of your guys have small pointy chins though!
    shotgun- thank much appreciated man, I admit when I got to the feet I just wanted to get it out the way heh, next time I'll consider the complete design a bit better. I'll try make them more interesting in the texture though
    poop- cool thats one area I want to work on, I always have difficulty predicting how a mesh will deform.. I'll try your suggestions and maybe do a simple rig to test it
  • CopperHaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought of one more thing when looking at this. You've got to ask the question...what is holding that shoulder armor to the shoulders? It looks really nice and has a cool design, but maybe some straps that go under the arms would make that armor more stable. I don't know, maybe you were thinking about adding that and I am just stating the obvious. Besides that and the previously stated, it is coming along quite nicely. Good work!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    first pass on most stuff, skins still lookin quite blobby:
    sold_03.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    no comments? I guess that means 'keep going the way you are' tongue.gif. I did some minor proportion tweaks too, raised belt a bit, enlarged helmut
    sold_05.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Rich, looking pretty cool, I like the style and colours of the concept and the texture so far! Reminds me of Ranger wink.gif

He looks like a cool "base" guy to model/texture trooper kit variations off.

The proportions still feel a tad off to me, his hands feel like they should be coming a bit lower, IMHO that would be best achieved by slightly scaling down the whole trousers area (including belt) and moving it back up a tad so the belt ends up in the same position but the legs end up a little shorter.

Also, his hands feel a little small, especially since he's wearing what appear to be heavily padded gloves (not quite sure what you're aiming for on the texture there?).

While I thought the helmet in the concept was cool, it doesn't seem to be looking quite so good in the model... needs some more interesting designs or colours maybe to bring it out (although I guess it's still heavily WIP, you'll have something up your sleeve smile.gif ).

One other small thing is the way that kneepad attaches - Imagine wearing something that straps around the back of the knee while you want to bend it - seems like it'd be uncomfortable! Maybe check out some skater kneepads for better reference?
    In regards to armour, kneepads like that generally attach to the shinguard, although I'm sure you can come up with an interesting solution if you do some quick sketches or something.

Niggling WIP crits aside, I really like the volume and form of his legs so far, they're nice and chunky and feel really solid.

Keep it up! smile.gif
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    His torso armor and helmet could use some battle wear and tear. The belt like straps on his lower half could include some punctured areas like normal belts. Maybe lessen the over rusted look to the top and backside of his boots. Add some shine/scratches like the ones you have on his shin guards to his knee cap plates.

Beside the comments/suggestions mop had it's looking better each time you update. You'll get there if this ends up like anything that your general did we are in for some nice details.

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep it up! smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that motion.
  • conman44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love this model and skin. i wish i could do it but i'm still learning maybe one day ill be as good as you smile.gif.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cheers for the encouragement smile.gif
    mop you make some pretty good points as usual, agree with most of them- I thought the overall proportions felt balanced, but I'll give your suggestion a shot and see how it looks. Now I look at the kneepad I totally agree, would probably be uncomfortable.. the AAAC (alliance against assless chaps) cares not for comfort! I'll see about changing it tongue.gif

the gloves will be chainmail though, theyve got a bit of work left on them

$!nz, cheers man the boots will get some more treatment, theyre made of thick leather which is wearing thin over the steel toecap
  • Fjornsvavne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fjornsvavne polycounter lvl 17
    Perhaps it's getting worn out by now: I like it. smile.gif
    I don't know if it is just me, but the diffuse feel a bit reddish, and not wearing the colors of the concept truly, as it has more of contrast.. Wouldn't mind seeing a change to that, hehe.
    Also hope to see a bit of seams in the metal soon, but as I understand it is still wip, so I don't wanna say too much. Keep going rooster! grin.gif
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe change the straps on the kneecap so that there are two; one being above the joint and one below it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I tried scaling up the legs and he felt a bit short arse.. but I did scale up the hands, and as a result had to move them down a little to compensate and I think it does look better. skin still has a bit to go not done much more on it, I'm happier with the leather now but the straps are a bit harder to read against the trousers. Not sure if that really matters too much though
    sold_06.jpg
    I know the arm hairs suck ass ill probably try them again tomorrow
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    (sorry for the big image!)
    must finish soon to start a xmas entry! this weekend I'll aim to get it finalized.. his face and skin still need more, and theres plenty of details I want to add but I'm happy with the general way its shaping up:
    sold_07.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about those extra plates under the helmet that cover the chin?
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    If he were to nod he would rupture his windpipe
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They don't look THAT sharp.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The updated textures are looking sweet dude, I love the colour variation you've put into the skin tone. It really makes the model pop!
    Get cranking so you can kick my ass in the Christmas comp.

-caseyjones
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i like it ! the only thing that bugs me is that the lightning on the metal seems too washed out and confusing , maybe making it lightning coming from the top ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metal texture has wayyyy too much overlays on it making it read more as some stained rock or concreate than metal. And stylisticly completely different from the chain link gloves, those dont fit at all. Johny is right too, the lightsource for the metal looks a bit random.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aye not done with the metal yet, done a bit more work on it but not enough to post really. I was trying to go for what looks more visually interesting than 100% accurate lighting, but I might pull it in a bit towards straight top down
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ok heres how it looks, hopefully less like stone tongue.gif
    im winding down on him I think, I'll look at the mesh a little more, add the suggestions poop made, then leave it for a few days and come back for the final tweak. thanks for the crits, if anyone has some tweaks to suggest lemme know!
    (I tried adding belt holes but I forgot I mirrored it and it looked crap. Doh! imagine some kind of clip in the buckle there..)
    ordinarily I would have reworked the kneepad too that mop pointed out, but I want to get going with the xmas comp idea. I might replace a section of the leather with strethchy fabric which would be more comfortable

sold_08.jpg
    map
    http://www.redprodukt.com/post/sold_08_map.jpg
    tried resizing to 512, it holds pretty well except for the chainmail which dissolves :/
  • conman44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man i really love this skin and model very very good job on it dude smile.gif
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    yes, i dont know how i missed this.
    Fantastic texture. only thing i changed would be the green of his eyes, but its just a detail smile.gif
    Great job man!
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great Rooster, very nice mesh and texture. Only thing that sticks out to me is what ultra mentioned. It seems a bit strange to have the colour of the guys eyes the same as the lenses in his goggles. But that could be totally justified if it's in some way part of his character concept.

Anyway, nice job dude.