Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jesses Props

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
Well my Attack at Mosul project thread is so big I figured I would start another one to show the individual props from that project and other projects I am working on.

Comments and crits are always appreciated and encouraged.
propsangle1hp9.jpg

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thought i would also post a viewport grab...

realtime2os3.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the viewport screensgrab is way better than the render. laugh.gif nice props. thumbs up
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    you got some pretty nasty stretching on that brickruin segment. otherwise it looks pretty cool. i think your diffusemaps could use some more love in terms of subtle ambient occlusion painted in.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm still working on the textures on some of these but yeah the viewport grab looks much better.

More to come soon.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah the viewport grab looks much better.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i think its just your light settings and background color. i mean the white is just blinding.
    as for your props, they're all cool except for the brick, no offense but its texturing needs a lot of work. good work though.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i promise no more white backgrounds...it must have been late at night

and yeah those bricks need a lot of work...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also wanted to get some feed back on one of my business card designs.
    buscardon6.jpg
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    I really like your concept for your business card, I do have some minor suggestions to give it more balance.
    buscardon7.jpg

edit: you might even try removing the gradient for a bit cleaner look, though I'm not sure on that, just something to try and see how it looks
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You um.. you just inverted it, Archanex?
    I quite like the look of the black sky versus white buildings. I think the typeface is pretty horrible, though.
    Overused, mostly, allthough i also think it clashes with how the rest of the card looks.
    If you want i can do some (free) suggestions for typefaces/fonts.

It's certainly eyecatching though, in all it's contrastyness. Have you considered printing one or two words in another colour? I was thinking a poisonous green, but then again that's just what i end up choosing most often, so it's probably just me.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You um.. you just inverted it, Archanex?
    I quite like the look of the black sky versus white buildings. I think the typeface is pretty horrible, though.
    Overused, mostly, allthough i also think it clashes with how the rest of the card looks.
    If you want i can do some (free) suggestions for typefaces/fonts.

It's certainly eyecatching though, in all it's contrastyness. Have you considered printing one or two words in another colour? I was thinking a poisonous green, but then again that's just what i end up choosing most often, so it's probably just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah man feel free with the suggestions. Thats why I'm here. I want to have something thats eye catching when done. So suggest away my friend. I won't be offended...
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea - No I moved the buildings down a bit as well, in the original they feel a little bit crowded against the top of the card, I also prefer the white text because I think it stands out better.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    I think cleaner fonts will help readability here - the email might be harder to read when it's shrunk down to lifesize
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think cleaner fonts will help readability here - the email might be harder to read when it's shrunk down to lifesize

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i'm gonna agree with you on that one.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Black sky with white buildings is the go... It won't draw too much attention away from your name and details on the card.
    The gradient doesn't look quite as good on the black sky, maybe if you dulled it down the smallest amount so it was ever so subtle.
    I think the text is quite readable with the typeface you've selected, but try out something more cleaner just to be on the safe side.
    You should lower the buildings to the same height as you had in the second image (white sky/black buildings). It will look like you've used the space on the card more efficiently.

-caseyjones
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Looking great. smile.gif Just like to put in that I agree with Archanex's moving the buildings down some though. Balances it out better.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, your props are good but to be honest at first glance I can only tell what 3 of them are. I'd also concentrate on creating an entire environment since thats what you're calling yourself rather than some random props. One thing you should try is researching a specific location on earth (assuming you'd like to stick with photo-real prop creation) and do an entire scene for that locale. It'll help show potential employers that you've got an understanding over an environments and aren't just someone who can push a few verts and copy/paste in Photoshop.

Also, the picture used for your business card - is that an environment you've made or something from a photograph?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey, your props are good but to be honest at first glance I can only tell what 3 of them are. I'd also concentrate on creating an entire environment since thats what you're calling yourself rather than some random props. One thing you should try is researching a specific location on earth (assuming you'd like to stick with photo-real prop creation) and do an entire scene for that locale. It'll help show potential employers that you've got an understanding over an environments and aren't just someone who can push a few verts and copy/paste in Photoshop.

Also, the picture used for your business card - is that an environment you've made or something from a photograph?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out my ATTACK AT MOSUL thread on here. They are all props from that. Which is an entire environment. The business card is a render from that scene.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Right on dude, keep it up.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am posting this in here even though it's part of Attack at Mosul because this is my thread for props so here is the latest one I am building for my environment and just to learn new things.

The mesh for the Umbrella is a total waste of polys but I wasn't looking for a set count. Just wanted it to look decent.

So here it is an Iraqi Street Vendors Cart.

I've still got a lot of work on the textures but it's coming along I think

2bn9.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ahaha looks good ! maybe mix some ambient oclusion on the texture and make wheel detail a bit crisper smile.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    the weathering on these look good but alot of them lack edge work. Att the moment i see too much straigh perfect lines. And the lack of edgework can give your model a lack of definition.

i did a quick paintover to show you

needsedgeworktf2.th.jpg

Dont go overboard but edge highlights can help give your textures a little more form and makes it easier to see what your shape is,for example on youe kalkalash stand,add darker chips of paint around the edges of the lids,corvers and such will help your shapes stand out more as well as break up the perfect lines from geometry,same for the stone pillars,a little edge work would make those shapes come out a little better.

also add a little wear to those stickers,they look like perfect squares,dull the edges on them and maybe break a few up like pieces of the sticker have torn off overtime.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    HAha that is a well done street vendors cart, but the only GLARING problem with it is that the Coca-Cola sign is in Hebrew, you want to find one in arabic.
    http://images.google.com/images?q=coca%20cola%20arabic
    If some heebjew was pushing that cart around selling icecream in Mosul, I'm sure he would face the wrath of some angry children with stones. mad.gif
    nice work though cool.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    HAha that is a well done street vendors cart, but the only GLARING problem with it is that the Coca-Cola sign is in Hebrew, you want to find one in arabic.
    http://images.google.com/images?q=coca%20cola%20arabic
    If some heebjew was pushing that cart around selling icecream in Mosul, I'm sure he would face the wrath of some angry children with stones. mad.gif
    nice work though cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my... Yeah the Hebrew writing would bring on some stones or an RPG from some angry citizen. I'll be changing that today.

Also going to work on the edges to break them up and wear the stickers down a bit to fit the whole look of the cart.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok took some of the advice and feedback you guys left and from other guys over AIM and MSN and tweaked it a bit. Still have a lot of work to do for subtle detail stuff and the wheels need some love but wanted to show some progress.

-I also removed the Hebrew Coke label and am trying to find a decent Arabic version so until then it's blank.

5fq5.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    cool you did the edges,much nicer now
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah doing the edges made it much nicer to look at.

Still have a bit more to do. Took some time off in the past few days to spend with my family and get some last minute Christmas shopping done. Now thats done and out of the way I can finish this piece up and move on to the next.

So I was tinkering with a damaged version as well and still have to work on the textures and finish the areas that aren't painted like the backside of the tires.

7ed1.jpg
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Most Coca Cola ads show the logo in English in Saudi Arabia. But that still looks pretty neat. Needs more Pepsi Cola!!
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    That cart is cool, it would fit perfectly in some levels of the game 'america's army'.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I think i'm done with this thing. I'm sure I could optimize it some more but it's time to move on to the next prop, item.

Let me know what you guys think.

cartdisplaypb9.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok well its now 4:00am and I am exhausted. So heres what I got done on the phone booth so far. Should finish up the geometry and unwrap tomorrow and start the texture.

1dp1.jpg
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    That vending cart looks sweet! any chance on seeing texture flats on it? and good start on the phone booth. It would also be cool to see some wires on both of them. Mostly just for my benefit...Keep it up!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah planned on posting these anyways.

The textures are all 1024x1024. I tried 512s for the diffuse but it washed out a lot of the detail. I could probably get away with a 512 on the normal and opacity / alpha but it doesn't need to be optimized for any specific purpose.

textureflats2vd8.jpg

and here are the wires

wirelayouts2gt9.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i didn't get a ton done tonight. Finished the unwrap, optimized the mesh a bit and started roughing out the color of this thing.

3pq2.jpgsmile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok here is the final layout of this. Did some more tweaks and touchups.
    cartdisplaypa1.jpg

I am also in the process of working on my new site to get it done. So with that I am working on a lot of models / textures to get them to a more presentable level.

I will let you all know when it is up and running.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think it could be optimised though.

for example, the wheel doesn't need to be detailed like that, the normal map should bring out enough detail.
    Try making the wheel flat and save yourself a ton of polygons. Also, the hookup could do with losing so much detail.

2688 is a lot of polygons for an item that won't really get much attention in game.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Jesse nice work, do you have a website? or other stuff to show?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken: Yeah I can probably optimize this thing quite a bit more in the tires area. I'll have to poke around with it and see what I come up with.

Tumerboy: Thanks man. I am in the process of getting my page hosted and it should be up by now but they haven't given me the confirmation yet. My old site www.artbyjesse.com was hosted by yahoo and that was a nightmare. So once it is up the new address will be www.artbyjessemoody.com It is a little long but once i finally get artbyjesse unlocked from the domain registration company based in Australia I will have both.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey when it comes to floating geometry for normal maps whats the best way you guys can suggest? I have to keep it as close to the surface as possible right?

Like the indents on my phone booth I can really cut polys by floating details, etc...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made this tonight before I went to bed. It's for a scene i'm working on. Just a small fireplace.

Got the normal map from a high poly version.

I still have to model the fireplace tools, some plates to go on top and a few other things. Will texture tomorrow.

Fireplace_1.jpg
  • dkorch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dkorch polycounter lvl 17
    only prob I have with it so far jesse is the logs being straight. and you should add more of a grout area on the bottom tiles of the fireplace.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Remember that a lot of detail doesn't need to be there, at all. It can be done via local maps. Your phone booth for example, I find it highly odd that you insist on modelling the numbers, the coin slot, the return coin lever and indents, yet you clearly have some harsh curves on the actual model itself...? Looking at the entire from of that phone booth, you could just use a box and have the local maps take care of the detail. In all honesty, with a prop that small, the only detail on the front there you may notice is the coin lever, but even that isn't 100% needed to be geometry. The point of local mapping on low to medium poly models is that it serves as a compliment to the model, to exaggerate detail with combination of lighting and shadowing. In other words, model your model and add detail that is really needed to improve the flow of the silhouette, and then stop. Nothing else is really needed (unless it really helps to look better, but even then stay low poly).

A prime example is your ice cream cart thing... Is there ANY need for a local map ATM? Its there but its just not being used to its fullest. Take a look at poly distribution on the wheels, even the hook is crazy with the polygons, when are they ever REALLY gonna be seen? The foot holding the hook, that’s got a hell of a lot of polies, when it could even be just 2 polygons with an alpha tested surface. Again, a lot of this detail can be done via local mapping (the wheels most of all) and you could shave a hell of a lot of polygons off the model and still wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you really looked for it. That’s the best part of modelling with local maps in combination with specular and height... Being able to trick the viewer on first glance that its higher detail that it really is.

As for your fire place, its good, but simple and a little early to tell. I would say of course the logs need to be a) lower poly (let the higher poly log curve it the curves you need) and B) needs to be less straight. Other than that those... erm... "things" at the front could do with losing a few loops at the top.

Your modelling is great, as is your texture work. Don’t let the final scenes down by wasting polygons.
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the logs being straight is ok if its a clean fireplace and hasnt been lit yet - spending winter in a cottage I always stack the logs as tidy as possible, they are only all over the place after the fire has been burning a while crazy.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys and I'm gonna work on those changes later.

As for Dominance War 2. My statement is as follows:

Sorry I had to betray all my fellow polycounters but I am not a very Organically Talented person (Translation: I can't model organic shit to save my life.) So I have gone to where i started my 3d career and journey into the world of modeling at 3dtotal. So see you in the forums and the battlefield.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the textures almost done on this thing. So I figured I would post it up.

Fireplace_3.jpg
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    looks pretty nice, I like the scratching details, the wood and gold on the poker and stuff feels a little too yellow right now, but that could just be me.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hm...fireplace of wood ?, even with bricks inside to protect seems very weird frown.gif add normal map detail to logs too and add a bit of "pop"
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took your advice as well and optimized the hell out of my Vendor Cart. Cut out around 1000 tris.
    Cart.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So yeah this is the scene the fireplace is going in. Still a lot of stuff to add to it. Textures to fix. You know the normal stuff.

ransome_8.jpg

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also here are some of the books to clutter the scene / book shelf

propsgroup2_3.jpg
  • squatedbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    squatedbug polycounter lvl 18
    I like where your stuff is going Jessy, I've been watching this thread from time to time and I must say there's good things happening.

Just a few things, wooden fireplace, I dunno, it just doesn't do it for me, wood is just so out of place, seems unlogical to have. Changing it to stone, bricks or marble or what have you not will make a world of difference.

As for the icecart, why are there 2 wheels on the texture map? And I see tons of small black stuff on the top right quarter of the texture that I don't see back in the picture.
    Now either it means I'm blind, or you have wasted space to details that are hardly seen. It seems you could've overlayed uv's there.
    So you could've used more space for the sides/top of the cart. The same for the wheels, if they're not looking any different (one has more rust on it then the other) then why not have them share the same uv space?

Always try to get the most out of your space.

As for the fireplace scene,that litle pile of books (the blue checker thing) why not just stack some books on eachother instead of modeling it like this?

All in all I think that scene can become very nice and atmospheric, but you will need to pay lots of attention to details because there is not much action going on. The viewers eye will roam and see out of place things.

Also, texturing seems nice and fine, maybe a little basic some times, but you will get there I have no doubt. keep up the good work smile.gif