Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cgchat entry -- Final-ish, critique appreciated.

Joseph Silverman
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
I've learned a decent amount with this model, but I've been working on it far too long and can't seem to make any more progress I can stand to look at. The final entry is gonna' have hands, for the sake of qualifying, but this is pretty much it. I had a lot of trouble with several stages of the texturing, and I can't say I'm too pleased with the results, but I'd appreciate feedback and critique.

(legs disassembled to fit in the frame)
4325jrq.jpg
(Here are some WIP shots that show the wires:
http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/535/spiderbd6.gif
http://i15.tinypic.com/2qbyovs.jpg)

3610 Tris, two 512x512s, and one 256x256. Could probably get it down to two 512s if I made an effort.

I'm probably not going to revise this model much (save, maybe, a total revisit of the concept in the future) but I'd still really like some feedback/critique. I obviously have a lot to learn.

Replies

• b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    hard to realy say anything with a texture at this point.
    Its realy rough at the moment.
    both Skin and metal..

ben
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, +1 to b1ll. Finish texture=)
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    The shading on the texture looks pretty accurate but it is missing a lot of detail. You may want to add some photo over lays just to give it some grit.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The texture almost looks like a first pass paint. Definately needs some more contrast and harder lines. The metal could definately use some more love. Maybe do some plates or screws or something. Give it some detail. Maybe some embossing or engravings. DECALS YO! DECALS!
    Keep it up.

-caseyjones
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I hate to sound harsh, but I am also learning that you really just have to practice all the time with painting to be able to get your textures how you want them. Try just practicing doing paintings in CS, even if you're just using a mouse. You will start to learn how to simulate different materials, etc. There are so many tutorials on texturing, but you really can't learn unless you just practice to hell and back.

If it makes you feel any better I am really still in the same boat as you, and it just takes a shit-load of time to get good at making well-defined forms and everything. Just keep going!
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    I think u MUST pic some refs to guide u making the texture.
    And in your next model try to make something simple, will help u alot and ll give u more confidence for next ones. Go for it!