Home General Discussion

hm...help...interwebs !1

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
hey guys sorry nagging again about pc problems , but my girlfriend has a laptop , really good one too , and she to connect to the internet first has to connect in a webpage from her residence...i do the same so no problem...The thing is suddenly without aparent reason , she can connect BUT she cant open any webpages, she payed the internet , the servers are good since her room mate can connect to the net...shes getting really sad frown.gif plees help uncle jawnee O.O

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Is the connection in my network places receiving packets? Maybe she needs to install network card drivers?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hm...is it possible for that be uninstalled from a day to another ? il phone and tell her thanks laugh.gif
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Does she get an actual IP from ipconfig in the cmd window?

Also I had just had a problem with Comcast and cycled the power on my cable modem which worked well.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    her ipconfig gives in the first line ( something DNS ) nothing, and her sub-net mask is 255.255.0.0 .
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Well she should be getting something like this :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ca.comcast.net.
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

My IP shows as 192.xxxx because I'm connected through a router, but it should show a proper IP if she's not. Might be her network card, but apart from trying a new one in its place I have no clue.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    so , reinstaling the network card might do it ?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wired or wireless connection?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    wired , she also tried the cable and same plug of her roomate and still nothing frown.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    If she's using a router make sure that you've tried all the normal stuff, restarting the router and modem, upgrading firmware, updating windows if you can. Also, make sure that her mac address is correct. It seems odd, but somehow my landlady managed to change her cloned mac address causing the net to break down, so something similar could have happened.

Also, try logging into her router. Depends on what kind of router she's using for the address (For instance, for linksys it's 192.168.1.1, password admin), but if she can't log into that you know it's a problem with her computer connecting to the router, if she can then it could be a problem with the router connecting her computer to the net.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Can she ping internal/external addresses?
    Has she tried to turn off the firewall (just to make sure that isn't the problem)?

But it sounds more like a network configuration problem, try checking if the settings are still like it is explained in the manual from the internet provider. Did she call them and ask for support (after all that is what she also pays for tongue.gif )?