Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Save the environment

StrangeFate
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
Some ingame screenies (just my testscene tho) i made for luxology for their games related modo presentation.

It's all a shameless plug too. We're still looking for more awesome environment artists and/or texture artists (for world textures and props skins).
Too many character fixed artists theses days... :/

dstest01.jpg
dstest11.jpg

dstest03.jpg
dstest04.jpg

dstest05.jpg
dstest06.jpg

Replies

• Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    lovely texturing work! gotta try that modo feature out!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting post, Strangefat. I admit I had to read over it all a few times to figure out what you're talking about, but I like it. Thanks for the info.
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    i def need to give modo a try. is it still separated into two separate programs? one for modeling/texturing and another for animation/rigging? and is do they still have a beta or trial going on?

not to bad overall, some of those modo painted height maps add a hell of a lot, but some of them just noise it up way to much. looks like painted over tin foil frown.gif and you may want to watch your materials and how they flow in the mesh... i dont think bricks normally get layed like this:
    modo_texture_oops.jpg
  • Clos3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone can light me up what is ''modo''?

I can feel is some sort of matrix!
  • fmnoor
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uhm yeah sorry, was a quick post...

The stuff is ingame from the game we're working on, Darksector, can be seen in the Gameinformer november issue.

I made those screenshots for Lux, they were looking for some game related stuff done in modo to show around, and that stuff was all modeled and 'normalmapped' in modo. The colormaps are PS of course.

And, we're looking for more texture and environment artists.
    http://www.digitalextremes.com
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    i applied but probably wont get a reply frown.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I like the last shot best mario, nice work as always. Oh and good luck on finding environment guys, we're worth our weight in gold these days as everyone wants to be the hero and do the characters heh

Still, thats great job security for those us willing and able to do them. It's just a shame more people dont realise how with next gen, EVERYTHING is interesting to model now and env work is where the greater advances are being made in quality.

Pretty much every review of Gears, its the environments people rave about as theres such a bad attitude out there amoungst artists, like environment work is the shit work.

r.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Not that I never saw them, but cool stuff tongue.gif, as Ror, I prefer the last one, as we were talking about recently, this is the one that has the most contrast in the material blending, which makes it stronger.

I also +1 the enviro artists comment, even if I was doing mostly characters (and still do some for my own projects) working as an enviro artist is way better than what can be said (shit work, crates, etc - though that unfortunately can happen) but there's so much stuff to do, if you're a bit bored of doing one kind of enviro you can still do something completely different but still in th same field, you still have to use cool ass softs like mudbox or zbrush and can still make complex shapes and all.

and apply, mario is really cool to work with...just don't steal his coke (I swear I didn't!!!, I always steal it from the other fridge!!!)

I went on the lux website and couldn't find them tho, any idea when they will be shown? or if they are already, where they are?)
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Really neat stuff dude!

I'm relly interested about this discussion, I mean do you guys think there is an oversaturation of character artists out there?
    I thought it was animation since all the assmonkeys I know at school are wanting to become animators.

I think the lack of environnement artists comes from the fact that there aren't a lot of available ressources. I mean the only tutorials I can think of at the mo' are cholden's ones (non Unreal related, saw there are a lot of books and dvds on the subject already).

It'd be cool if someone makes some sort of introduction to environnement making for character modelers especially by mentioning all the usual stuff beginners aren't aware of (little problems like scaling, uv mapping large surfaces, tiling... I think there is way more but these are the only things I can think of at the moment). And it'be cooler if it was generic for major softwares (max maya modo...).

Sorry if this post looks stupid but you env guys got me interested tongue.gif

Ciao!
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

It's all a shameless plug too. We're still looking for more awesome environment artists and/or texture artists (for world textures and props skins).
    Too many character fixed artists theses days... :/

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome everything but the texture work is ACE...wow ! You know it's wierd that you mention there are so many character artists because when I browse the 3D model finished gallery at CGtalk ,environment models have to out number character models 10-15 to 1 ! Does there really seem to be a shortage of good environment modelers ?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    There is a HUGE shortage of environment artists. I don't want to derail Marios post so I;m going to start a 2d/3d/discussion post - http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=164474&an=0&page=0#Post164474

r.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    can someone explains me the difference between what is called "photosource derived normap map" and a bump map? cause I guess it just reads the value of the photo as an elevation? or I'm missing something?

by the way nice architecture.. (but I doubt the floor should be this flat wink.gif )
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey all...
    Photosource derived normalmap is a complex way to say 'i used the NVidia filter' ...or in this case, i baked the normalmaps from the textures in modo.
    Does kinda the same the PS filter does, but playing with the render settings in modo gives nicer results than the filter could give you.
    The bump/height map is just the usual grayscale. Our engine combines the normalmap with the bumpmap, kinda like doom3 i think.
    The floor... i just threw those meshes quick into my test level to make the screenshots, things wont match tongue.gif
    And the textures on some shots are wildly mixed just to show the difference.

And somebody is STILL stealing my coke and Tea...

I don't know if they will post the images in the lux forums. They asked permission some days ago, so they might.
    The images, and others i made for them, where for their presentations when they go to game studios etc.

Like Ror was saying, i can quite surely say that as a good environment/texture guy you can go work ANYWHERE you want in the industry.
  • Warhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warhawk polycounter lvl 18
    Hey StrangeFate that is some really nice work on the buildings. As others have stated the last image is looking the best. It has lots of colors and the normal and bump maps are standing out the most. I especialy like the huge cracks on the walls. Also the arhitecture is nice. To bad the balconys dont have more polys. Some aditional bevels to remove the cube look. I think it would look even better with some of the decals (dirt) under the windows. And the shadow bias on the left balcony is distracting me. I am really intrested on how you did those normal maps. I know you modeled some of the cracks and used the nvfilter in photoshop to do some of the finer detailes. I would just like to know the process you guys are doing for the normal maps. The more you know the better you get. Good luck with the Darksector so far. Images look promising. What engine are you guys using for DS. The new direction is making it better than old high tech anime look.

By the way I totaly agree about enviroment artist. I think that enviroment art can be just as fun as designing the characters. I myself have the luxury to do character and enviroment at work. So it is nice to switch between those to. And now that we can play with shaders, it is even better and much more fun. Anyway just my two cents.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess i'll have to add some cracks to the original textures then tongue.gif

The balconies... only the ground level stuff gets bevels to look rounded, or vertical edges that happen to go all the way up through the model.
    The lighting in the real levels is a lot softer and post effects were off for those screenshots so you can't really see the sharp edges ingame in most situations.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    the lighting makes it look very artificial but the models and texture work is still very very nice =)
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Saw Dark Sector in Game Informer. Looks totally awesome-- I was suprised how much the setting had changed since the early designs. Great textures!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, thx

To go with that discussion Ror started, some enviro items and/or their hipoly versions aka = 'enviro work is fun and lets you do a lot of different cool things'.
    ...was all in the game informer too ... (or some was scrapped long ago)
    haven't gotten around to bump the stone parts properly yet...
    http://www.strangefate.com/webby/ds/fountain-ingame.jpg
    http://www.strangefate.com/webby/ds/horse.jpg

http://www.strangefate.com/webby/ds/madrenders3s.jpg
    http://www.strangefate.com/webby/ds/madstatue-self.jpg

http://www.strangefate.com/webby/ds/gargoyle.jpg
    http://www.strangefate.com/webby/ds/gargoyle2.jpg

http://www.strangefate.com/webby/ds/clock-wip.jpg
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    WoW. Great work! Love the sad face on the garg lol.
  • Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    those are some sweet looking high polys... love the clock
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cloth folds on that statue are amazing.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome work, Strangefate. You've become a hell of a lot better in the past few years. Compared to your earlier work I'm used to (custom dungeon siege models, etc) this is far above it. Your highpoly work is outstanding. Good stuff smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19

http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~acoman/images/prague/119-1927_IMG.JPG

Inspiration for your clock model?
    I like your darker twist on it
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx all