Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Guardhouse building

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JDinges polycounter lvl 18
So I've resurrected a project from like 2 years ago that I never got to finish. Updating my folio right now with next-gen stuff, this being my first building. Currently sitting at about 6k tris, though there's still more optimizing I haven't bothered doing yet. In the end it'll be done up with specs, normals and lighting.

I'm actually looking for advice on two issues.

1. I'm torn on whether I should keep the horizontal roof tiles modeled or just texture/normalmap them. The 3 roof pieces comes out to about 900 tris total, and that's with them being divided once down the vertical middle for texturing. Or should I just keep the roof a flat plane and save myself the polys? I'd lose the extra depth of the modeling and the silhouette of the jagged edging. On one hand I want it to look badass, on the other I don't want to be wastefull.

2. I noticed in Oblivion a lot of the edges on environments were beveled, I assume it's for rounding out the lighting. I currently have not beveled any edges other than experimenting with the items in the red boxes in the second pic. What's the general census on it? is it worth the extra polys to smooth out the lighting on the stones and wood supports?

Any insights would be much appreciated smile.gif

housewip1.jpg
housewip2.jpg

Replies

• PeteJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    i think it would probably be best to normal map the tiles in.
    and i would probabyl bevel edges where you would obviously see them smile.gif
    and perhaps just make the stonesowrk and woodwork a bit more irregular smile.gif
    nice building
  • madman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting building, but stones on the corners could have less number of tris, u can weld some points

keep going smile.gif
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    I just learned this from my historical Paris walking tour - a lot of medieval timber framed buildings were sloped backwards away from the street. This was done because it was thought it would make the building collapse on itself, rather than into the street. But then again, I also see a lot of English buildings jettied forward, so I'm guessing there was just a difference of opinion. Either way, it might be interesting to break up / slant some of the straight lines.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool design, reminds me of something I'd build with legos when I was younger(aka yesterday). This thing will definetely look shnazzy with a texture pass on it.
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    hey man, first off, i really like the look of this so far. its got a medieval europe stamp all over it.

as far as your questions:

i would most defiantly normal map those tiles in. 900 polys is a hell of alot for such a little gain. your on the right track thinking about profile, but a good rule of thumb is the farther from the character, the less detail to put in.

as far as your second Q goes, yeah, it wouldnt hurt to bevel those edges. it does help with the light pass, but also not everything in life has razor sharp edges, so its a good thing to go ahead and soften those up a bit.

also, am i looking at it wrong or is there only the one door on this bad boy? you might want to add a back door, especially if this is a guardhouse. they would be that much less likely to build a building that has only one entrance, wouldnt want to get stuck in now would they?
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Doing a contract right now which is pretty much the same workwise my advice would be to normalmap the roof, and then cut in some irregular forms and shapes out of the map to give some tiles more depth (for lighting and siloutte).

It often helps to add some slopy details to enhance the look . And I can fully second what was said, "a good rule of thumb is the farther from the character, the less detail to put in."

You could also experiment with bigger (less polies) but stronger forms in the "background", in your case the roof.

A little notice about optimization in general:

I did alot of LODs and Optimization for Levels at R*V and what I can say is, trust your eye and try to "fool" it. In one specific case, you could have two cable wrapped around a building, while in the LOD you can just use one cable, slightly thicker. Nobody will notice the switch (with a vizblocker inbetween of course).
    This example is basicly useable for any distanced object. Outside the box thinking for beginners wink.gif
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies fellas. Helps me sort out how I want to handle it.

I'll go ahead and bevel what I think needs it and change the roofing over to flat planes with some artifacts to help fake the depth.

diminshed: Great point about the single door, hadn't even thought about it. I'll add 1, maybe 2, more in.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, been working on it off and on for a few weeks now.

Still tweaking the textures. And the lighting is temp, just a directional and 2 spotlights. I won't buckle down on a light set up till I have the scene all fleshed out.

Now for the static objects and vegetation confused.gif

so here she is-
    dectest1.jpg
    dectest2.jpg
    dectest3.jpg

Keeping my fingers crossed that in the end this will help me find a good environment artist job smirk.gif
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice job on the texturing, are those textures mostly photosourced or hand painted? Regardless it looks very good.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Very awesome Jdinges.
    You may consider some weatheration at the top of the rocks, and dirt running up the walls to transition with the ground. Possibly shake up the larger corner bricks to add silhouette detail. Also, apply to EA Mythic.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    texturing is awesome JDinges!

Any possibility of seeing the texture map for the house? How you laid out those UVs.
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    The stones in the corners are wastefull IMO. They are not adding anything to the profile, and there getting lost in the noisey stone texture for the wall. Maybe you could make them overhang each other in the corners that way the profile can benifit from the extra geometry, and change the color slightly for more contrast against the stone wall texture.

For the upper victorian stuco texture I would make some moss or grunge in the corners near the wood frame.

P9140006.JPG

Under the top frame boards (on the stucco texture agian) how about water stains from rain running down the side of the wall sorta like this only verticle not horizontal.

dson101-073.jpg

also I would make the center of the stuco texture a bit lighter than the edges just to make it more believable.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @WhiteEagle - Thanks, the textures are 90% photo sourced, with many different layers. There's some painting involved but it's mostly just to clean up the textures used.

@Chris - Cheers, yeah good idea about weathering the rock levels, sometimes you forget the more subtle details when dealing with the whole picture. I'll definetly be going back to extrude some of the corner blocks to add a more dynamic silhouette. And yea Mythic is one of the first places I'll app to once my wife finishes school here smile.gif

@Lee3dee - Thanks smile.gif Textures below. I did them a bit oddly, no tiling so it's not the most efficient memory wise. They're all 1024 maps except for the bottom right which is only a 512. I laid the UVs around each map so everything would have a unique texture for the most part. Also in theory you could use these textures to texture many other similar buildings without seeing many repeating details.

dectesttextures.jpg

@Squirmy - Yeah the corner stones have been bugging me for a while, they don't pop out enough. I'll be redoing them partly. Plus they're too green, which makes them blend into the stone wall too much. I'll desaturate them abit too.
    And yeah I kind of skipped out on the realistic grunge to the stucco. I think I'll try out some decal maps for some major grunge artifacts for the areas below the wood and windows. Good crits smile.gif

Thanks guys!
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    way WAY too noisy but definitely a good start nice model too smile.gif
  • J O T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, very noisy, but its not far off being very cool.
    I also agree with more contrast for the lower bricks and wall.
    Im not sure if the chimmey is right with the random rock work.
    Few more hours and it will be there.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    hey JDinges, are you involved with any game project currently?
    logic-illusion.com
    i am the only environmental and prop artist for the game and my team is wanting about 6-7 levels for the finished game. it would be cool to have another environmental artist to work with. you could start on the looted burning village, and i could start on the sewers (both seperate levels we have planned). if you're not busy and understand model effeciency, normal mapping, gloss maps (specular), and in some cases parallax mapping i'd like you on the team.
    we currently have around a 500 page design doc for the game too. if interested reply here or e-mail me at metalgearsolido8@hotmail.com

p.s. btw, if interested we can also chat on aim, metalgearsolido8 , and i can show you the more recent models for the game that are not up on the site.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Squirmy - Thanks for the suggestions, updated the corner stones (created individual stones), and added water stains on the stucco from the wood.

@warby - Yeah it was definetly too noisy, I just hadn't thought about/noticed it. I went back and cleaned up the textures so it should read better now.

@J O T - Thanks, you're right about the rock work on the chimney, it isn't structurally correct at the moment. Not a huge concern right now, I'll get to fixing it eventually.

@Jarrod1937 - Thanks for the offer, unfortunetly right now I'm real busy with kids, work and personal projects. I'll let you know if I get some free time.

Newest shot, with a norm/spec underneath (not the best lighting for it).

jantest1.jpg
    jantest2.jpg
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    hot! that looks great!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    The normal maps on this really arent contributing as much as they could to this model. All of the normal details you have are very high frequency, There's no large variance in the lighter surface between the support beams. Also your stones dont feel very much like stones making up a wall, it look like cracks were cut in the wall, it feels very flat. The tiles on the rooftop also dont feel very thick.

The corner stones could also use more normal information. It looks like instead of conveying highpoly info they just have normal information of their 'texture'. I think you could get a lot more out of using normal maps if you let them contribute more to make the model look like an actual highpoly model rather than a low poly model with bump.
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    looks good man. What filter/plugin did you use to create the normal?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good, but I have to agree with tinman. The normalmaps just look more like bumpmaps, you should try to get some rounded corners on those large brick pieces to catch extra light and fake the highpoly look, and definitely get more mid/low-frequency shapes in there - you could make the plaster look like it's been daubed on really thick in places and peeling in others, instead of a uniform grainy texture.

I like the model and design though, and the colours are working well... just spend a bit more time and effort on making those normals really give you bang for your pixel-buck.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    hey JDinges I've been watching this come together. It's a nice piece but, in my opinion, doesn't have enough "wow factor" yet. And I don't mean WoW factor, but actually that might not be a bad way to go. All the angles are extremely 90-degree, the colors are muted, and the stonework is regular. You've added wear and tear to the textures with overlays, which looks good, but (echoing what tinman said re: normal maps) it's all very high-frequency. These things combine to make the whole scene just a little too ho-hum.

I think the model could benefit from some serious vertex-busting, large-scale stains and deterioration, and possibly greater contrast or saturation in the textures.

All this said, I think it's a great model and I'm excited to see it progress!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    your previous avatar was way better....

i like the cross-symbol thing on the front and i feel the whole thing needs more symbols like that. large shapes/bright color designs that would read well and associate it to some army or something. beside the cross, it could be the village tavern just as well

agree with tinman on the frequency man. the rendered surface in the grey images reads much clearer, the textures overkill it. i'd simplify and relax the yellow texture, so it looks more like in the pics in the top of the thread.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Very good crits.

One thing I should mention is that this is my first normal map, which is mostly why it came out as more of a bump map than an efficient normal. I only used the nvidia filter and I've been trying out what it can do (and how to do it), so I kept it pretty simple. But with that said now that I've gotten this far, and learned a shit ton, I'm going to try and redo the stones so they look like stones. Rather than neatly cut "stone" walls.

It's been a great learning project all around, I'll try and kick it up a notch now.

thanks again.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...true#Post171668

Have a look here for a good normal map generation app, its awesome and very easy to use.

I love the colors and design, with some better normals this could really pop.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    The only real issue I'm seeing are the perfect angles and straight geometry. To match the textures I'd expect to see some 'wear' on the geometry as well.
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    very awsome stuff i only feel the connecting hallway doesnt have much support where the wall curves to hold it. but it is very insignificant
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Xaltar, crazybump is pretty badass. Plus, in crazybump you can affect the small, medium, large, and very large details. I also agree the hallway doesn't look supported enough. Great job so far though, its looking awesome.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, thanks to everyone for the crits. Helped me sort out a lot of the things I over looked. As always there's still stuff I'd like to adjust, like the perfect right angles of the wood. But alas, time to move on.

I've got all the props broken up individually on my site if anyone's interested - www.justindinges.com
    Also, I'm now looking for a studio job, if anyone has any leads smile.gif

Here's the complete scene (lit with 1 directional and 1 spot):
    scene.jpg
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks fantastic smile.gif nice work, the stones look much better now
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Do a hi-tech or modern set next, and i'll be able to help you quite easy with a job.

Something with; diffuse, normal, spec with alpha, and emissive would go along way.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    woah!!! there you go. that there is some art test in the making!!! good luck!!!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    very nice stuff but could use some more lens flare and cow bell.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always more room for lens flare and cowbell!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    real nice.

i agree with the idea that the detail is a little clean and high frequency.

layering up some water damage and dirt on seperate layers or floating polys would makeadd a great deal. also the modeling looks a little clean to me (not nessacrily a prob)

but some less level (medeival buildings are rarely square) angles and diping, twisting wood wood add to tyhe sillohette (SP).

also id add some larger details to add some interest, like cracks in the plaster with wattle and duab style stuff showing underneath. and maybe a couple of lanterns (with burn marks.

but dont get me wrong its a great peice that will get you a cool job, good luck smile.gif
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks fellas.

Shep- Totaly agree with your crits, maybe I'll go back at some point and try and address those issues.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I would go over the trees again, they're the weakest element of the scene. Very straight and cylindrical, I know some trees are that way but I reckon it would look nicer if the tree's normalmap was generated from a high-poly sculpt rather than a slap-on texture. The alpha'd branches also appear like an ugly graphical glitch in places, I'd tweak the angles so they compliment eachother as best they can.

But yeah, the house is awesome.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    JDinges, can you show us a shot of it up close? Like 10' away... I'm willing to bet those who're commenting on the high frequency of the detail might have a change of heart if its seen from a closer perspective.

That said, if it does look good then something would have to be done of its look from a distance.

I love this, quit a bit, but believe the file shot could have used a little bit more love & magic: I'd try and tell a story with this piece. It's a great piece, but comes off rather stale when your beauty shot is, quite simply, just a shot. Go for an expressive angle - focus on something story worthy (like the axe in the tree stump).

I'd also spend some time on the surrounding scene. It's not up to the same quality (particularily the grass IMO) of the rest of the scene. That, and the background ends abruptly and throws off the rest of the piece.

Good work, just need a smidgen more.